Thread: ISHA rakats

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default ISHA rakats

Assalaam Alaykum
    please can anyone advise that praying 4 rakat sun. before 4 rakat fard in Isha salat is correct,,,,where do I find authentic proof for this?????????????????
    JHK

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: ISHA rakats

Quote Originally Posted by Abs View Post
    Assalaam Alaykum
    please can anyone advise that praying 4 rakat sun. before 4 rakat fard in Isha salat is correct,,,,where do I find authentic proof for this?????????????????
    JHK
    Wa `Alaykum as-Salaam

According to the Hanafiyya school [which you follow] the 4 Rak'at Sunnah before the `Isha Salah is Ghayr Mu`aqqadah, as a Muqallid [because of the reason of not having the adequate knowledge to deduce from the sources], one should accept the ruling of their Schools, because the burden is lifted upon you; you need not worry; nor will Allah take you to account regarding the intricate fiqhi Masa'ils and how they are deduced.

But this is what i found to answer your query:

Four before Isha and four after Isha

Ibn ‘Abbas relates that ‘I spent the night with my Aunt Maymuna [the wife of the Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace)]. The Prophet (Allah bless him and give him peace) prayed Isha then returned to his home and prayed four rakats.’ [Bukhari]

‘A’isha’ (Allah be pleased with her) relates that “The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) never prayed Isha and then entered my quarters except that he prayed after it four or six rakats” [Abu Dawud]

There is nothing specifically established concerning . This is why Imam Muhammad mentioned in al-Asl that performing four rakats of supererogatory prayer before Isha is good (hasan) without specifically mentioning it as one of the sunan. They mention in support of offering supererogatory prayer before Isha that it is due to the similarity between Isha and Zuhr as one may offer supererogatory prayers before and after each and that it enters under the general indication of the hadith, “Between every two calls to prayer [i.e. the adhan and iqama] is a prayer.” [Bukhari & Muslim]. [Bada’i` al-Sana’i`, 1:286, Dar al-Kutub al-‘Ilmiyya]

This was also the reasoning used by Imam Nawawi in his Majmu` Sharh al-Muhadhdhab to establish the recommendation of praying before the fard of `Isha.

* Imam Muhammad mentioned that one can choose between offering four rakats and two for the sunnas before ‘Asr and after Isha, with four being more virtuous. [al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya, 1:112]

* Imam Kamal ibn al-Humam showed that whether one prays the six rakats after Maghrib and the four after Zuhr and Isha with one salam or in units of two it will count as both the confirmed and non-confirmed sunnas that are due after each of these prayers. [Radd al-Muhtar, 1:453]

for full article read the following:

http://www.ummah.net/Al_adaab/fiqh/sunnah_prayers.html
    It is reported from Abu Umamah from the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi WaSallam) that he said:

اتَّقُوا فِرَاسَةَ الْمُؤْمِنِ ، فَإِنَّهُ يَنْظُرُ بِنُورِ اللَّهِ

" Fear the Insight of the Believer, for verily he sees with the Light of God"

رقم الحديث: 3362
    المعجم الأوسط للطبراني

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Also, Mufti Taqi Usmani saheb, in his Contemporary Fatawa, mentions the masala as well. I'll quote it below. The book is available on http://www.darululoomkhi.edu.pk/, select "Fiqh" from the menu, and this specific masala is mentioned under General Miscellaneous, number 22.

The Ruling Pertaining To The Four Rakaat Before The Prayer Of Isha

Q. Some People Say that there is no hadith which proves that we should pray 4 Rakaat of Sunnah before the obligatory Prayer of "Isha" . Can you give a hadith proving the point of view that these 4 Rakaat are Sunnah before performing the 4 Rakat of Isha?

A. It is true that there is no Hadith specifically that 4 Rakat before the obligatory prayer of isha is Sunnah . How ever there is hadith reported in Sahih Al-Bukhari and narrated by the Holy Companion Abdullah Ibn Mughaffal (R.A) that the Holy Prophet ( Sallaho Alaihi Wasallam) has said

Between Every Two Calls Of Prayers There Is A Prayer For Whomsoever Who Wishes To Perform It " ( Al-Bukhari,Book X, Chapter 14, Hadith.No.624)

it is accpeted by all the commentators of hadith that the words Two Calls of prayer mentioned in the hadith refer to the Adhan and Iqamah. The Haidth, therefore, means that after every Adhan and berore Iqamah some kind of Salah is advisable . On the basis of this Hadith the Muslim Jurists have inferred that before every obligatory Prayer it is desirable ( Mustahhab) to perform some prayer which may be either Nafl or Sunnah . The Rakat performed before Fajr and Dhuhr are Sunnah, while the prayers performed before the rest of the five prescribed prayers are held to be Nafl or Sunnah Ghayer Muakkadah. It will be noted in the above quoted Hadith that the number of Rakat has not been mentioned there meaning there by that to perform any number of Rakat may serve the purpose of the Hadith . how ever a large number of Muslim scholars have preferred to perform 4 Rakat before Isha prayer on the analogy of Fajr Dhuhr and Asr, it may be seen in the case of these three obligatory prayers that the number of Sunnah and Nafl performed before each of them corresponds to the number of the of the obligatory prayers respectively i.e. the number of Sunnah before Fajr is two which is corresponding to the 2 Obligatory Rakat of Fajr, the number of Rakat of Sunnah performed before Dhuhr is Four which corresponds to the number of 4 obligatory Rakats of Dhuhr, and the number of Nafl prayer performed before Asr is four which again corresponds to the number of 4 obligatory Rakats of Asr. On This analogy the said scholars have preferred to perform 4 Rakat before Isha because it will correspond to the four obligatory Rakat to be performed after this Nafl Prayer. It should, however be kept in mind that the number of these 4 Rakat should not be taken as determined by the Holy Prophet ( Sallaho Alaihai Wasallam) nor should it be taken as a specific Sunnah instead if one performs 2 Rakat only. On should also get the reward contemplated in the Hadith of Sahih Al-Bukhari Quoted Above.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

JAK. To all who have responded to my query. May Allah (swt) reward you all for your efforts.

Banned
    Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Abs View Post
    Assalaam Alaykum
    JHK
    4 Rakaats Before Salaat al-Isha

Hazrat Sa’eed Ibn Jubair (radhiallahu anhu) narrates that the Sahaabah (radhiallahu anhum) used to regard the performing of four rakaats before the fardh of isha as mustahab. [Qiyaamul-Layl of Marwazi pg.58]