Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping with feet in the direction of the Qibla

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Sleeping with feet in the direction of the Qibla

Assalaam-u-Alaikum

I have heard that one should not sleep with ones feet towards the Qiblah. Is it true?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Sleeping with feet in the direction of the Qibla

Quote Originally Posted by vaq View Post
    Assalaam-u-Alaikum

I have heard that one should not sleep with ones feet towards the Qiblah. Is it true?

yes, its adaab

if ur father is sitting infront of u will u keep ur legs towards him and sit

Madhhab
    Don't know

Is there something prohibiting this explicitly ?

@Abdulquddus: it may be true according to customs, but to some arabs, there is nothing wrong in pointing your feet towards your father or else.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post

Is there something prohibiting this explicitly ?

@Abdulquddus: it may be true according to customs, but to some arabs, there is nothing wrong in pointing your feet towards your father or else.

I have seen many Arabs placing their feet towards the Quran, Qibla, and not just that but putting the Quran on the floor. When it comes to adaab, people in sub-Continent are much more careful.
    Haq Char Yaar

Barelwiyyat

Ahlel Bayt

Free Books

Chand say Tashbih daina, yeh bhi koi Insaf hai
    Us kay Munh pay Chayan, Madani ka Chahra Saf hai

Madhhab
    Don't know

Quote Originally Posted by khanbaba View Post

I have seen many Arabs placing their feet towards the Quran, Qibla, and not just that but putting the Quran on the floor. When it comes to adaab, people in sub-Continent are much more careful.
    Last time someone in the musjid put the quran right on the floor just after learning some of it, I took it in my hand and he glanced at me with big eyes, as if I was going to take his qur'ân...

But even somedays ago an arab asked on a forum why indo-pak are so careful abt quran & floor etc... I couldn't give him reply with explicit proof other than just adab...

That was my initial question...ie if you have any 'alim's quotations or solid proof that could be an eye-opener to some you're welcome.
    Last edited by bugmenot; 24-04-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    Exactly the same subhanallah, last time someone in the musjid put the quran right on the floor just after learning some of it, I took it in my hand and he glanced at me with big eyes, as if I was going to take his qur'ân...

But even somedays ago an arab asked on a forum why indo-pak are so careful abt quran & floor etc... I couldn't give him reply with explicit proof other than just adab...
    ba- adab , ba murad

be - adab , na murad.

We have to follow how the salaf use to give importance to the manner, and not to any culture. Here is some story how the salaf behaved infront of their scholars. and no doubt Quran is greater than any scholar.

As related by Imam an-Nawawi, when he reported when Ikrimah (may Allah be
    pleased with him) used to see the Holy Qur'an, he used to put it on his head
    and kiss it and show a great deal of respect for it, saying "This is the book
    of Allah, this is the book of Allah."

And ash-Shafi’i (may Allah have Mercy on him) said: “I would turn the pages of my books in front of Malik (may Allah have Mercy on him) in a very soft, quiet way so that he wouldn’t be bothered by its noise, out of respect for him.”

“al-Mughirah said: “We would honor Ibrahim an-Nakha’i just as one would honor the
    ruler.”

Ayyub said:
    “A man would sit with al-Hasan for three years and not ask him anything out of
    awe and respect for him.”

Ishaq ash-Shahidi said: “I would see Yahya al-Qattan praying ‘Asr. He would then lean on the base of the mosque’s minaret, and standing in front of him would be ‘Ali bin al-Madini, ash-Shadhakuni, ‘Amr bin ‘Ali, Ahmad bin Hambal, Yahya bin Ma’in, etc. – all asking him about Hadith while they were standing up. This would go on until the Maghrib prayer, and he would not offer any of them to sit, and none of them would sit out of awe and respect of him.”

Madhhab
    None

Red face Re: Sleeping with feet in the direction of the Qibla

Quote Originally Posted by vaq View Post
    Assalaam-u-Alaikum

Walikum Salam,

Sister when you go there you will find specially Arab dont care about this... Even I heard from someone if they are in Mosque & their cell rings they press the yes button & say Allah O Akbar & No the call.. Means that they wanted to tell other person that they are praying... I heard this didnt seen...

Any way respect or Adaab is not for showing it must be in your heart... However if you have other sides or places in other directions then never do this... Wallah ho Alam
    Jazak Allah

Asalam O Alikum
    Alhamdulillah Muslim by birth but wants to explanation of every thing for me as well as others.. Hope you got the point... Jazak Allah Karim

Madhhab
    Don't know

I'm not affirming the opposite, rather wanted to know whether their behaviour is sinful or not? If yes tell the explicit dalil so that I can tell them otherwise they'll keep doing it.

Madhhab
    None

Arrow Re: Sleeping with feet in the direction of the Qibla

Quote Originally Posted by khanbaba View Post

Walikum Salam,
    Very right
    Asalam O Alikum
    Alhamdulillah Muslim by birth but wants to explanation of every thing for me as well as others.. Hope you got the point... Jazak Allah Karim

Madhhab
    Hanafi

In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful

Assalaamu `alaykum waRahmatullahi Wabarakatoh

Allah Ta'ala says in the Quran:

من يعظم شعائر الله فإنها من تقوى القلوب

"If one observes the sanctity of the symbols of Allah, then such things emanate from the piety of the hearts."(22:32)

The Qibla (direction of the Ka'bah) is considered to be one of the Sha'air (symbols) of Allah Ta'ala. Therefore, the Qibla should be respected. Stretching one's legs and spreading one's feet before others is considered a sign of disrespect. The Qibla is the direction facing towards the Ka'bah, which is the most sacred site for Muslims. Praying towards the Qibla is one of the distinct signs of a Muslim with which Allah Ta'ala blessed and bestowed on this Ummah.

It is Makruh (disliked) to point the feet towards Qibla while sleeping.

يكره مد الرجلين إلى القبلة في النوم وغيره عمدا

(Raddul Muhtar, Vol. 1, P. 341, H.M. Saeed Company)

(Fatawa Mahmudiyya, Vol. 18, P. 629, Darul Iftaa Jamia Faruqiyya)

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Ml. Asif Umar,
    Student Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
    Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

http://askimam.org/fatwa/fatwa.php?a...3abcb1260d4778