Thread: Forbidden times of Salah?

Madhhab
    None

Question Forbidden times of Salah?

Assalaamu Alaikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,

I've been meaning to ask this for a time, but each time I do I never get a straight answer.

I'd like to be informed concerning the forbidden times to offer contact prayers (ie, the salah). I've been told, after Fajr and after Maghrib but I am not completly clear on the issue. Is there any details about this that someone could help me with.

All help is welcome, Salam and God Bless.
    "Your sickness is within you, though you do not realize,
    And your cure is within, yet you do not see." - Ali (RA)

http://voicingthesilenced.blogspot.com/

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Forbidden times of Salah?

Quote Originally Posted by AmirahS View Post

I've been meaning to ask this for a time, but each time I do I never get a straight answer.

I'd like to be informed concerning the forbidden times to offer contact prayers (ie, the salah). I've been told, after Fajr and after Maghrib but I am not completly clear on the issue. Is there any details about this that someone could help me with.

Wa `Alaykum as-Salaam WRWB.

According to the Ahnaf, the forbidden times for prayer is; praying after Fajr, during Zawwal [when the Sun is at its Zenith] and praying after `Asr not Maghrib.

In the above stipulated times there is no Nawafil prayer, though according to the Ahnaf one can pray Qadha Salah.

Hopefully someone can post an article fully explaining this issue.

More better; if you follow a Maddhab do post it; then your query maybe answered by those followers who know the rulings on this issue.

Wa Salaam.
    It is reported from Abu Umamah from the Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alayhi WaSallam) that he said:

اتَّقُوا فِرَاسَةَ الْمُؤْمِنِ ، فَإِنَّهُ يَنْظُرُ بِنُورِ اللَّهِ

" Fear the Insight of the Believer, for verily he sees with the Light of God"

رقم الحديث: 3362
    المعجم الأوسط للطبراني

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Quote Originally Posted by AmirahS View Post

As Salamu Alaykum

It all depends on what madhhab you follow on the issue. According to the Shafi'i madhhab, what they mean by prohibited times of prayer is when they are wholly supererogatory (recommended prayers) that are not performed for a particular reason or occasion. Whereas if one is making up an obligatory prayer (qada) or doing two rak'as before entering for ihram for hajj then its permissible.

With the context being set, the following are the times when prayer is unlawful and invalid (taken from the Shafi'i fiqh work Reliance of the Traveller p.187 f13.1-f13.2):

"1. From sunrise until the sun is a spear's length above the horizon (Shaykh Nuh Ali Salman al Qudah's commentary: meaning when a distance equal to the sun's diameter appears between the sun and horizon)

2. From the time the sun is at its highest point in the sky until it moves on

3. From the when the sun yellows before the sunset until after it has set

4. After praying the current dawn prayer

5. And after praying the currrent midafternoon prayer (asr)"

I don't know the Hanafi, Maliki, or Hanbali position on this issue so maybe someone can post that on this thread.

Wa Llahu Alim
    Imam ash-Shafi`i said, "Whoever takes knowledge from books loses the regulations." (man akhadha al-`ilma min al-kutubi Dayya`a al-aHkaama). [Reported by Nawawi in the introduction to "al-Majmu`"]

Madhhab
    Hanafi

I am not an 'alim but I will get this checked by someone who is. Also if there are any mistakes ulema can point it out. But for now this is the situation in the Hanafi fiqh:

Prohibited times of prayer when prayer is not even valid. One cannot even pray salaat al-janazah or perform sajdah-e-tilawat or pray any qada salaat at these times:

1. When the sun begins to rise [i.e. when the upper tip of the sun appears over the horizon] till approximately 10-15 minutes after sunrise. If the Fajr prayer is being performed it will break as soon as the sun begins to rise. It needs to be re-performed when the sun has risen completely.

2. When the sun is at its peak or its highest point in the sky (this is midday). This is called zawaal. In the prayer charts the time which is given for Zuhr is actually the time for zawaal. So one should not pray at this time. One should abstain from praying from 5 minutes before zawaal to 5 minutes after zawaal. Therefore one should start praying Zuhr 5 minutes after the time which is listed in the charts.

3. When the sun draws near to setting until it sets [completely]. That is approximately 15 minutes before sunset to when the sun sets completely. This is the time when the sun changes colour and its rays become weak. However if a person has not prayed his Asr prayer for that day he can pray his Asr at this time. Even if the sun begins to set his Asr salaat will not break and he should complete his prayers.

Makhruh times of prayer:

1. When Fajr time comes in it is makhruh to pray any nafl prayers (except the 2 sunnat-e-muakkadah of Fajr).

2. After one has performed the 2 fardh of Fajr it is also makhruh to pray any nafl prayers. If one has missed his 2 sunnat-e-muakkadah before Fajr then he cannot make it up after he prayed Fajr. It says in Beheshti Zewar that he can qada of it after sunrises but Nur al Idah says one can only make qada of the 2 sunan if he had missed the fardh as well and he makes up both the 2 sunan and 2 fardh as qada after sunrise.
    In Fajr time one can however pray any qada salaat before or after praying the 2 fardh.

3. It is makhruh to pray any nafl prayers after praying the Asr prayer. One can however pray any qada salaats

4. It is makhruh to pray any nafl prayers before praying the Maghrib salaat. That means when the maghrib time comes in one should not pray any nafl salaat but should pray the 3 fardh as soon as possible.

5. It is makhruh to pray any salaat when the imam is giving khutbah (of the Friday prayer or Eid salaat). However if one is praying the 4 sunnat-e-muakkadah then he should finish it quickly but calmly and not cut it short.

6. It is makhruh to pray any nafl prayers once the iqamah starts except if one has not yet prayed his 2 sunnat-e-muakkadah of Fajr, provided he does not fear missing the jamat completely.
    (If one is in the middle of praying his 4 sunnat-e-muakkadah of zuhr then he should not cut it short but should complete all four. If it is any other nafl salaat he can cut it short at two but if he commences with the third rakat then he should complete all 4 and not cut it short. All this is provided he does not fear missing the entire jamaat).

If a person does break off his nafl prayers then he must qada of them - it is wajib on him to do so.
    If one breaks his 4 sunnat-e-muakkadas at any point he must make qada of all four.
    Regarding breaking any other nafl salat:
    1. Intention of 2 nafl is broken - qada of 2 rakat
    2. Intention of 4 rakat nafl is broken - several scenarios
    a) Broken before 2 - qada of only 2
    b) Broken after 2 but forgot to pray attahiyyat - qada of 4
    c) Broken after 2 but prayed attahiyyat - qada of only 2

7. On the morning of Eid it is disliked to pray any nafl prayer (after sunrised) before the Eid prayer

8. If one is really hungry or one is holding back the need to answer the call of nature, and these things are really bothering him and preventing him from concentrating then it is also makhruh to pray salat. However if one fears the salat time will run out if he were to fulfill his needs then he should pray first.

9. If salaat is combined at Arafah (many a times not possible for Hanafis these days) and when salaat is combined at Muzdalifah - during Hajj - then it is disliked to pray any sunnah or nafls salaat between the fardh salaats being combined.
    Last edited by hope1; 19-11-2008 at 06:59 PM.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

According to Hanafi Fiqh;

No Nafl Salaat is to be performed after the Farz of Fajr up to about 10-15 minutes after sunrise.

No Salaat is to be performed at Zawaal (when the sun has reached the highest point).

No Nafl Salaat is to be performed between Asr and Maghrib except the Qaza and Janaaza.

The following links has a more detailed explanation on the subject matter;

http://www.inter-islam.org/Actions/P...az%20(Sharaait)

look under the heading "Conditions for Namaaz (Sharaait)"
    What is destined will reach you, even if it be underneath two mountains. What is not destined, will not reach you, even if it be between your two lips

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

I believe that there is no forbidden time for Salah in Masjidil Haram.