Thread: Warning - Non Halal Pig skin sports shoes

Madhhab
    Don't know

Default Warning - Non Halal Pig skin sports shoes

I just bought a pair of MERRELL sport shoes, and when I get home, I take a look on the merrell website, and to my horror, the shoes i just bought have a pig skin lining. Horrible swine flesh being used in my shoes. This is an abomination.

What should I do? I have written to MERRELLs complaining that they are driving away a large proportion of thier customers. Can I wear the shoes, or do i need to throw themout.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Warning - Non Halal Pig skin sports shoes

It is not permissible to wear anything made with pigs skin. If you haven't worn them then I suggest you return them.
    What is destined will reach you, even if it be underneath two mountains. What is not destined, will not reach you, even if it be between your two lips

Madhhab
    Hanafi

hush puppies is another company who uses pig skin.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by xs11ax View Post
    Sure?! They have their shops here in Pakistan, and no one would have ever thought of this!

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by xs11ax View Post

Wouldn't that depend on where the shoes were made? If in a Muslim country, it's probably unlikely they have pig skins.
    ياايها الذين امنوا اذكروا الله ذكرا كثيرا

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by abdulwahhab View Post

Wouldn't that depend on where the shoes were made? If in a Muslim country, it's probably unlikely they have pig skins.
    I doubt them being made here. I guess they import them as do most of the shops here, who sell products of an international brand.

Banned
    Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by abdulwahhab View Post

W-Salam,

Hushpuppies sold in Pakistan & Saudia are not made locally but imported.

Here is the answer for black shoes:

http://www.gmwa.org.uk/foodguide2/in...e=viewquestion

A: We made contact with Clarks, Barratts (Stylo) and Hush Puppies to get an idea of porcine (pig) usage in leather or suede. To date Clarks, Hush Puppies and Stylo have responded.

From the responses we gauge the following:

1. Pig skin is not that widely used, certainly it would be unfair to say that Hush Puppies entire range are sourced from hog skin. The use of pig skin for shoes is significant in the shoes market and one must painstakingly choose shoes.

2. Though it is technically possible to make black leather shoes from pig skin, it is unusual to do so and is not an industry standard. Most probably because the texture and colour of the brushed pig skin is desired which would be lost if it were to be dyed.

3. Apparently the pig skin is used as a lining so it is not always enough to look at just the external part of the shoe.

...Thank you for your swift reply. Would it be possible to assist me by:

1. Telling me how we may recognise pig suede from cow suede? ( a photograph of how one may recognise the pig suede would be much appreciated). This would be easier that asking about specific products.

2. Is it possible to manufacture black shoes from pig skin i.e. for the skin to be dyed black.

As you would appreciate, Muslims find pig products repugnant hence the information would be of much value. Your assistance in this matter is very much appreciated...

Sorry for the delay in replying.

1) The hair follicles on pig skin tend to be grouped in pinhole size formations of 3, thus leaving a tell tale pattern. Sometimes this is difficult to see particularly with suede effect surfaces. Therefore, on any Hush Puppies product, as mentioned in my previous email, we would recommend you contact us regarding specific products.

2) Yes, it is possible to manufacture black shoes from pig skin, but this would be very unusual.

Pig skin is commonly used as a lining, not only by Hush Puppies, as this is hard wearing lightweight, soft material ideal for this purpose.

We trust that the information provided will be of some use but if we can help where specific products are involved then please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards
    Customer Services Assistant

Madhhab
    Hanafi

regardless of the colour of the shoe, the inner lining could be made from pig.

so both the outer and inner needs to be checked.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

ok so what about Nike, Reebok? Sneakers are made out of leather also. What about Bostonian, Kenneth Cole, Rockports, just to name a few famous brands in the US?