Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Is taking a bath a waste of water?

  1. #1
    Senior Member Jahid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Sister
    Madhhab
    Maliki
    Location
    online
    Posts
    299

    Default Is taking a bath a waste of water?

    Salaam aleikoum,

    I was wondering if there´s any ruling about the use of water.
    I now we should not waste water, especially not when making wudu, but I was wondering what seen as ´waste´.

    Is it okay for example to shower or take bath every day? I dont mean making ghusl but I mean any extra showers, leaving the water running..
    And what about taking a bath, is it allowed to use so much water for one person?

    And can we leave the water running while washing dishes?

    And are there any other rules about this please?

    If anyone has some serious answers on this issue, it would really help


  2. #2
    Senior Member Jahid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Sister
    Madhhab
    Maliki
    Location
    online
    Posts
    299

    Default Re: Is taking a bath a waste of water?

    Quote Originally Posted by Jahid View Post
    Salaam aleikoum,

    I was wondering if there´s any ruling about the use of water.
    I now we should not waste water, especially not when making wudu, but I was wondering what seen as ´waste´.

    Is it okay for example to shower or take bath every day? I dont mean making ghusl but I mean any extra showers, leaving the water running..
    And what about taking a bath, is it allowed to use so much water for one person?

    And can we leave the water running while washing dishes?

    And are there any other rules about this please?

    If anyone has some serious answers on this issue, it would really help


    I mean I know


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Location
    DEWSBURY
    Posts
    4,321

    Default Re: Is taking a bath a waste of water?

    anything above need and necessary is classed as israaf..extravagance and this applies to everything in a muslims life..clothes /car/shoes/house/furnishings etc
    The reason for all trouble on earth, is that people have lost sight of their Lord’s Will behind all events. They have lost sight of the hand of the One Who is testing them through those events. They have stopped seeing events as tests from their Lord. Therefore they continue failing those tests. "


  4. #4
    Senior Member Jahid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Gender
    Sister
    Madhhab
    Maliki
    Location
    online
    Posts
    299

    Default Re: Is taking a bath a waste of water?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed View Post
    anything above need and necessary is classed as israaf..extravagance and this applies to everything in a muslims life..clothes /car/shoes/house/furnishings etc
    Salaam aleikoum jazzakallah for your answer.
    My question actually was about finding out what is needed and what is not, but yeah you´re right, a bath offcourse is not something needed..
    but is it extravagance is someone feels both physically and mentally better after having a shower?
    For example if he/feels cold or dirty (even when he/she isn´t)

    I didnt want to make it personal but I will anyway.

    I personally feel tired and cold and even dirty after a long day of working ( I have my reasons for working) and a shower really wakes me up, makes me feel clean and fresh to perform salaah and to put on my houseclothes.
    Lets just say that a nice warm shower makes me feel good.
    So its not needed, but it does have a serious effect on how I feel.
    But when I shower, and I think about the amount of water that is used, I dont feel good about that.
    So I was actually looking for some kind of ruling on what is normal and what is allowed. <For example, maybe a woman is allowed to shower more often, as she likes to be attractive to her husband ?
    I dont know, Im just thinking eh


  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Location
    DEWSBURY
    Posts
    4,321

    Default Re: Is taking a bath a waste of water?

    a shower after work is o.k.

    a full bathtub is actually counterproductive as everyone must have noticed the "scum"that floats around and on the surface..

    a actually take a shower after a bath to remove the scum..after heavy gardening/manual labour..only..eases the muscleache
    The reason for all trouble on earth, is that people have lost sight of their Lord’s Will behind all events. They have lost sight of the hand of the One Who is testing them through those events. They have stopped seeing events as tests from their Lord. Therefore they continue failing those tests. "


  6. #6
    Senior Member TripolySunni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Shafi'i
    Posts
    5,170

    Default Re: Is taking a bath a waste of water?

    A shower is necessary because muslims are known to be clean, However there are ppl who like to fill the bathtub with water and Have a Swim, THAT IS UNECESSARY! basically whatever your goal is try to save as much water as you can.


  7. #7
    Banned sahih-baba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Maliki
    Location
    Velká Británie
    Posts
    1,914

    Default Re: Is taking a bath a waste of water?

    Quote Originally Posted by TripolySunni View Post
    A shower is necessary because muslims are known to be clean, However there are ppl who like to fill the bathtub with water and Have a Swim, THAT IS UNECESSARY! basically whatever your goal is try to save as much water as you can.
    a shower after a bath? what a waste of water!
    i usually do the opposite, if i am not feeling so well and need to just lie there in hot water.

    an ultra quick shower prior to a bath makes more sense -if you don't want to swim in your filth (najasa).


Similar Threads

  1. fast and taking water up nostrils
    By marco100 in forum General Islam
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 21-01-2013, 04:37 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 03:05 PM
  3. The Simplest Way to Perform Janaba Bath
    By Ace Abbas in forum General Islam
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-05-2011, 09:31 AM
  4. Take a Spiritual Bath on the Straight Path (2)
    By Majdoba in forum In-depth Tasawwuf
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-02-2006, 04:27 PM
  5. Take a Spiritual Bath On The Straight path
    By Majdoba in forum In-depth Tasawwuf
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 22-01-2006, 05:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •