Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Shariah Program Online Arabic Re-starting!!!

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Shariah Program Online Arabic Re-starting!!!

Updating this thread after quite some time.

The tutorials are re-starting again after Ramadan. People have begun registering again. October 3 is the start-date. There are quite a few note-worthy improvements being made to the format. I'm not sure how many views this thread will get. So I'm debating whether to mention the details here or not. Anyways, here's the new FAQ page which I wrote just yesterday:

http://forums.shariahprogram.ca/pre-....html#post9826

As some current students did at the beginning of this thread, probably newer students might want to leave some comments.
    Learn Arabic: Move like lightning through the 3 stages of Arabic mastery: From “no clue at all” to “this is easy” in a few short weeks… and then on through “reading unvoweled texts like a scholar” to “understanding 80% of what you hear in taraweeh prayers”, without quiting your job!

Madhhab
    Hanafi

I'm not a student, but I would just like to suggest that recordings of the sessions contain video as well in the future if you can. I like being able to see the teacher as well as hearing him. This would improve the program a lot in my opinion.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by layman View Post

I'm not a student, but I would just like to suggest that recordings of the sessions contain video as well in the future if you can. I like being able to see the teacher as well as hearing him. This would improve the program a lot in my opinion.
    for the suggestion. We've considered this, and are planning on producing a series of video files consisting of sentence analysis from verses of the Quran and our reading texts. This would involve writing on the whiteboard with various coloured markers to illustrate different layers of association between words, phrases and nested sentences and the videos would be in HD. Lectures themselves would continue to be mp3 files and not video.

Theoretically what you mentioned seems to make sense, but we have one observation which suggests otherwise. Here it is:

In our two weekly live tutorials we use PalTalk which has video capabilities. The instructor has a cam and this can be enabled during every session. the problem though is that students would need to upgrade their accounts with Paltalk for something in the range of $30 for a whole year in order to view this video feed.

This past March we observed that from a total of around 45 students not a single student felt it necessary to do this. Now, the cost is negligible and yet no one is doing it. Something worth thinking about.

To us this shows that a fancy interface and things of that nature are not what make a course successful.
    Last edited by Instructor; 18-08-2009 at 01:50 AM.
    Learn Arabic: Move like lightning through the 3 stages of Arabic mastery: From “no clue at all” to “this is easy” in a few short weeks… and then on through “reading unvoweled texts like a scholar” to “understanding 80% of what you hear in taraweeh prayers”, without quiting your job!

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Alhamdulillah, I am a 2nd year student in the Shariah Program but I've never really felt any difference in the absence of any video being projected by Mufti Yusuf.

It's something nice to have but doesn't really add much to the whole learning experience IMHO.

Wassalaam

Madhhab
    Hanafi

It seems that the thread is receiving a decent amount of views. So I'm pasting below one of the major improvements made to the format:

4. Can you tell me more about these recordings? How concise are they?

These recordings (as of August 2009) are being revised and re-recorded from scratch in a non-classroom setting. There is zero time wasted in the audios attending to non-beneficial questions. In addition, there are no pauses and gaps in the mp3 files - something very often attributed to classroom instruction. We have done our best to keep the files as concise and direct as possible. A prospective student will need to keep up with the weekly assignment of recorded audios and ensure he or she does not fall behind in this regard. Certain concepts might be difficult and will require subsequent listening. The recordings themselves are quite clear insha Allah.

In regards to brand new students who might need repetition and review, we did not think it appropriate to dwell on the issues excessively within the audios themselves. Rather, they should review the concise audios on their own until the concepts are firmly embedded in their minds. Students requiring additional help with the concepts should pose their questions on the student message board and during the 2 live weekly tutorials. These combined resources will be more than sufficient in providing a solid line of information and support for new students.

http://forums.shariahprogram.ca/pre-...questions.html

Madhhab
    Hanafi

I'll briefly mention my experience and thoughts so far.. It's been just under 4 months since I started with Shariah Program, and Alhamadulillah it's been a very good decision. Initially I was debating whether I should join or not, but I just went for it, because there was that voice it my head telling me "don't let it slip pass you.. you'll regret it"... and so I joined.

I could go as far as to say that in my one fifth of a century life it's probably been one of the best decisions I've made so far.. no exaggeration. It was one of the few wise ones!

So neally 4 months on Alhamdulillah we've covered sooo much. The really good thing is everything we learn is applied again and again in our reading. Mufti Saheb is also re-recording the material aswell, so for us it's a major review, and for new students who have joined or will join it'll be awesome stuff!

Another thing that makes this whole learning experience enjoyable is the forums, where students can interact, discuss anything study related, ask questions which will be answered nearly instantly by the teacher or other students.

So for those still deciding, waste no time lest this oppotunity does not come again.. you'll be left thinking "if only!"
    Last edited by DesertSand; 18-08-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Now that Mufti Saheb is re-recording all the sessions, I think it is one of the best opportunities to review past material. In Ramadan he plans on doing a 40-minute session every night at midnight of all past material, so anyone who registers now can get a head start on the material and be prepared for the October class. I'm a 2nd year student, and I still feel we all need these review sessions, and I will definitely be joining them, insha'Allah!
    "As for those who strive hard in Us, We will surely guide them to Our paths.." [29:69]
    "He who takes advantage of his time, Allah takes advantage of him. He who wastes his time, Allah wastes him." --Shaykh Husain Abdul Sattar [db]
    www.sacredlearning.org
    Shariah Compliant Dexshell® Masah Socks

Madhhab
    Hanafi

The first week's material can be downloaded from the samples page for free without any need for registering. These are the new recordings talked about above:

http://www.shariahprogram.ca/sample-arabic-audio.shtml

Madhhab
    Hanafi

All praise be to Allah most merciful who has granted me the opportunity to enroll at sharia program. It's been 3 months since I started and I only have praise for the instructors and students at Shariah Program.
    Our beloved teacher has gone through much effort to make the beautiful language of islam accessible to the ummah. I would strongly encourage every seeker of sacred knowledge to take this path in order to attain your objective.

The credentials of our instructor and the effective methods that are being implemented have been talked about much on the previous posts and it's fruits can be gauged from the level of discussion at the program's internet forums.

I appeal to everyone to grab this opportunity no matter where you are in the world. I for one find myself at the tip of Africa with a 3rd world internet infrastructure and a time zone that is 6 hours ahead of North America yet Allah most merciful has made it easy for me to attend all the classes at a reasonable time.

So come on folks, sign up!!! within a week you will start experiencing the benefits of this method and your inclination towards the in depth study of our deen will only increase week on week
    "The objective behind studying the oppositions viewpoint is to bridge the divide/close the gap and not to gain the upper hand" Sh Tauha Karaan

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Quote Originally Posted by Instructor View Post
    Fiqh, Hadith, Adab, more Grammar, AND Balagha are also planned for the rest of the 2nd and 3rd year.

Mufti Sahab,
    WHen you say Fiqh --is it just hanafi?