Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Depression - Don't Be Sad - These Words Are For You

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by umrah2004
    You've confused me
    shame we cant pm,and you cant be more specific here can you,maybe bits of each post here can help u
    The reason for all trouble on earth, is that people have lost sight of their Lordís Will behind all events. They have lost sight of the hand of the One Who is testing them through those events. They have stopped seeing events as tests from their Lord. Therefore they continue failing those tests. "

Madhhab
    Don't know

Default Dont cry because of the hardships of this life

Assalamoalaykum! The following is a true story. I copied it from another message board, and edited it slightly (it was originally in two separate posts).

-------------------------

Since I was born I suffered from Exema on my hands and arms and now I am 22 years of age and still suffering from such disease. Alhamdulelah it goes for a while but it comes back infected and inflamed.

I always looked around me and saw other people's hands and arms in perfect condition and I would go back home and cry so much that my tears would feel a bucket. I was bullied so much in Secondary School because of my Exema and I was treated like dirt and abused because of my belief in Islam. One day in class I cried for over an hour my eyes stung because of the class saying abusive things to me and the teacher did NOTHING because he hated my faith which was apparent.

Since I was small I always held the Quran each night and begged Allah for my suffering to end. Even as I write this my eyes are full of tears.

As I grew up my passion to marry grew. I always wanted to have a child to raise for the mercy of Allah. But because of my suffering from Exema that always stopped me from marrying.

One day in College I saw a really beautiful Sister in Hijab from Lebanon (I think) and I wanted to marry her, but because of my Exema I thought she would not want to even look at me. By Allah, through Halal ways she rejected me which I feel in my heart was because of my hands.

I feel so alone sometimes. I suffer SO much that I cannot go outside unless my sleeves of my shirt cover most of my hands. I cannot make Salat in the Masjid without worrying that someone is going to look at my hands and not want to shake them or that they will give me a bad look. I cannot eat outside or be with my friends without feeling worried that they are going to see my hands.

When I do Wudu with water, my hands sting so much I cry. After Wudu I will make my Salat trying to blot out the pain that I am going through with my hands.

I feel no Muslim Sister will ever marry me but I try to keep strong about it. My only wife I want is a wife of Paradise. I wish I was with Prophet Ayub (AS) as he suffered alot and I would not feel alone as he would be with me worshiping Allah.

My only dream now is to work hard and to die only for Allah.

Please Brothers and Sisters of Islam make Du'a for me and for all Muslims suffering from illness's that they keep strong.

I take this as a blessing from Allah as Allah tests those whom he truly loves.

About three year ago I was sinking into severe depression. I was suffering so much and everything was just sinking deeper and deeper. I would stay up every night just worshipping Allah, begging him for mercy and help.
    I really thought that Allah abandoned me and hated me.

Then one summer was a summer I would never forget. For six weeks in a row I had dreams that words would never be able to describe in 100% detail.

The dreams are too much to mention. But one of the first was when I was standing on a red land, and then two Muslim men with large dark beards approached me. They asked me do I want to see Hell? I said to them yes. They smiled and I then followed them.

In front of me was like a Hugh head with a wide open mouth. I can still picture this in my mind but I can never really describe it as it was so detailed. We went through its mouth and in it were all types of chambers of black fire. I saw people lying on their bellies on beds of spikes penetrating though their bodies while they were screaming.

Another chamber I saw people being crushed again and again in fire.

Another I saw their limbs being pulled off.

After a few more chambers we left and one of the Muslim's said to me, "Is your life worse than what you saw?" I said, "By Allah, no."

The best dream is of Prophet Muhammad (salla Allaahu 'alayhi wa salaam). In the dream I was sitting in a dark room crying. Suddenly a gold door appeared in front of me. The door said to me, "Don't cry and come inside."

When I went in, I was in such a beautiful garden. There were all sorts of flowers and different coloured streams of water and honey. I heard laughing and talking further on, so I walked through this garden, and each step I took the garden just got more beautiful and different in colour. I saw a really bright gold table with food I have never seen before on this table. There were sweets and different shapes of fruit on the table. There were also crystal cups with drinks with at least 100 different shades of colour.

Sitting around the table were all extremely handsome looking Muslims. I saw one Muslim holding a staff in his right hand so I was thinking that could be Musa ('AlyheeSalaam), and then another Muslim I saw with long wavy hair with pearls falling from his head, so I was thinking that was 'Isa ('AlyheeSalaam). There were at least 100 Muslims around this table. At the head of the table a Muslim turned around and faced me. Mashahallah I will never forget his face. His eyes were darker than black pearls and there was a beautiful light shining from his face. As he smiled at me I felt this warmth and this sweet smelling musk go over my body.

He said Salam to me and called me by my full name. I asked him who he was. He said, "I am the final Messenger of Allah and my name is Muhammad Ibn Abdullallah (salla Allaahu 'alayhi wa salaam). I want you to sit next to me."

A gold chair appeared next to him so I sat there facing him. He took my hand in his hand. It felt so warm and nice. He said something that even made me cry in my sleep. He said, "Dont cry because of the hardships of this life. Cry for the forgiveness of Allah. Don't cry and feel sad for Allah will never leave you alone to suffer. He is with the believer who calls his name. He smiles to the believer who repents. He loves the believer who runs to him in struggle. And on The Day that is coming, you will see how much love and comfort He gives to those Muslims who suffered for Him."

I closed my eyes and then I woke up with tears all down my face.

------------------------
    Last edited by Alhumdulillah; 16-03-2005 at 02:06 PM.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

^jazak'Allah for sharing.

"La Hawla Wala Quwwata Illa Billah is a remedy for 99 diseases, the least of which is depression."

Whenever I'm depressed, I go into my room, make it as dark as possible(no lights, blinds), and start making Dhikr of La Hawla Wala Quwwata Illa Billah, if you contemplate on the meaning of the words, the effects are truly amazing.
    "People are asleep when they're alive, they're awakened when they die" - Sayyidina Ali.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by cantthinkofausername
    i am not really in a position to answer the specifics of ur question as i am no doctor or alim or suitably experienced person.
    what i said b4 was what i had heard....it SEEMS to make sense but Allahu alam.
    also there can be a difference in remembering Allah thru dhikr (is is dhikr with complete devotion?) and actually THANKING Him from the bottom of one's heart.
    eg. ppl pray namaz.....but how many ppl pray namaz with correct devotion and concentration - only then will we see the benefits of namaz inshallah.

again for specific duas and protection from jinn and shaytan i suggest u ask others.
    i have learnt and experienced myself the power of ayatul kursi in protecting from shaytan....and to make mention of Allah as u step into ur house is always the key....also staying in taharah....reciting surah falaq and nas....begging Allah alone to protect u etc.

Allah has power over all things.

[may He protect us from the whisperings of shaytan the lame]
    AssalamuAlaikum,
    Sister the last three ayats of Surah Baqra are allso very effective. My Ustad once told me that if Surah Baqra is recited in the house it also keeps the Shaytans and Jinns away. If you cannot recite it playing it loudly on cassette or Cd is sufficient. Do it for atleast 3 days in arow and then occasionally.Wassalam
    Noor of Islam

Madhhab
    Maliki

By the way anti-depressants DON'T work. You might not agree with me but there are many good articles on www.antipsychiatry.org. Electroshock therapy they say is the "best" treatment for depression but it just makes people well for a short temporary period usually. And therapy may work for some people (because I, as well as antipsychiatry.org believe that depression is caused by reactions to certain life events or from thinking processes, or as with sunnipath.com from disobeying Allah (SWT) and not repenting, not repenting everyday, etc.).

But really if you really want to "cure" depression, (at least in my opinion) you should goto a Tassawuf Shaykh. I have read that suicidal people move through the tariqa with blazing speed! So the more depressed someone is the more motivation one should have to join the tariqa.

Now for the occasional "depression" or what I would call unhappiness that comes occasionally for a few weeks or just comes out of no where for many months, well one should do the following:

1. Read the Qur'an every single day (at least 2 pages) and try to memorize as much as you can
    2. Do much dhikr
    3. Send many Salawat on our Prophet (SAWS)
    4. Do the Salat al-Tibyya
    5. Pray the Hajah prayer (Prayer of Need)
    6. Make sincere du'a with tawassul, callling upon all the names of Allah (SWT), and sending salawat on the Prophet (SAWS) before and after
    7. Make du'a regularly (so that when you are depressed you can have them answered quickly)
    8. Try to increase your love for Sayidina Muhammad (SAWS)
    9. Avoid music
    10. If you cannot take the tariqa, then at least read the books of al-Ghazali or ibn Ata'ullah
    11. Decrease your nafs' pleasures (i.e. TV, compulsive buying, lower the gaze, eat less, sleep less, talk less, etc.)
    12. If you have missed many prayers or fasts make them up

Now as Shaykh Abu Qanit al-Hassani told me there are many parts to this (i.e. it's a spiritual, mental etc.).

Some diseases of the heart can lead to depression including extreme love of the dunya, arrogance, pride, greed, etc.

Being very lax in practicing the Din (i.e. commiting major sins without repenting, not preforming the 5 pillars, etc.) causes depression. Being extremist in following the Din causes depression as well. Our din is the din of the middle way.

Also fufilling everything the nafs tells you to do causes depression, as Shaykh Nazim al-Haqqani said:
    http://www.naqshbandi.org/frmteach.htm

The egos of very young people want to devour the whole world immediately. The feverish heat of the fulfillment of passions and the pursuit of pleasure makes time appear to fly by. So often, at this critical time in people's lives no prudence is exercised, and heeding the urges of the ego they expend all of their energy. Such unrestrained indulgence is the sure way to deplete one's energy quickly and foolishly for life is like a marathon run: it requires pacing: if you just sprint from the start you will collapse after a few hundred yards. Keeping back a reserve of energy calls for self-control and willpower attributes rare among the young.

For the most part very young people steer clear of spiritual paths: only when they suffer a "breakdown" do they come limping in here for 'servicing'. Hundreds of people come to me saying: "Oh Shaykh Efendi can you help me?" It is such a difficult task to help people who have expended all their energy uselessly and whose physical and mental powers are at a pitifully low level. Sometimes I am amazed at what I see, for these people are still, for the most part, quite young. Raising the dead is a miracle given only to Prophets, but as long as there are signs of life we hope to be able to arouse people from their coma-like states.

As a result of the excesses brought about by the manic state, its opposite, depression, manifests itself in these young people.
    Depresion is a spiritual pain, as Shaykh Hisham Kabbani said, telling you something is wrong in your system. If you look at it, it's a mercy from Allah (SWT)! If we wouldn't get depressed we wouldn't know something is wrong. It's Allah (SWT) trying to guide you back to him.

The Qur'an says that only with the remembrance of Allah (SWT) do hearts find rest. Remembrance of Allah (SWT) entails obeying Allah (SWT). So when you sin or disobey Allah (SWT), sometimes he takes away this rest from the heart and you become depressed. This is a reason why Tauba is a major factor.

The problem with just doing dhikr when your depressed is alot of times it won't work because it's not something regular. You have to keep up a regular routine of dhikr, du'a, Qur'an, salawat on Nabi, repentance, and avoiding sins.

When one gets depressed I recommend the following advice:
    1. Immediately repent for all sins
    2. Immediately make much du'a
    3. Immediately make up all acts of worship that you have missed, or start doing some mandub acts if you have none to make up
    4. Immediately read Qur'an
    5. Immediately take a break from satisfying the nafs
    6. Avoid all sins
    7. Keep doing this until depression goes away, then do a regular routine of reading Qur'an, sending salawat, doing dhikr, continual good deeds, repentance, etc. daily)

One should be in the company of those living pious hearts regularly. And if one is to the point that he is suicidal, may Allah (SWT) relieve you and strengthen your Iman, and you should try the above but also join the tariqa because you are very lucky - you will be able to achieve high spiritual ranks in a short period of time, insha Allah.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Ohossino
    By the way anti-depressants DON'T work. You might not agree with me but there are many good articles on www.antipsychiatry.org. Electroshock therapy they say is the "best" treatment for depression but it just makes people well for a short temporary period usually. And therapy may work for some people (because I, as well as antipsychiatry.org believe that depression is caused by reactions to certain life events or from thinking processes, or as with sunnipath.com from disobeying Allah (SWT) and not repenting, not repenting everyday, etc.).
    I'm sorry, but this is incorrect. Yes, anti-depressants can't change the affairs of an individual; only Allah swt can. But biologically, why can't we accept that Allah swt can put shiffa inside anti-depressants?

Many studies have shown that there is a chemical inbalance in depressed patients. Whether the low mood causes this inbalance, or the inbalance causes the low mood is, as far as I know, still debated. But the inbalance is definitely demonstratable. To read up about anti-depressants on antipsychniatry.org is like asking a Salafi about Taqleed.

We can't dismiss anti-depressants outright based on a few such statements. The science behind them is sound (I won't go into it unless you want me to), they may take 2-3 weeks to kick in, but they do work. Sometimes their use is limited to a short duration to kick someone out of a vicious cycle of low mood/lack of motivation and into positive thinking. Wallah, even Muslims sometimes feel helpless when depression sets in (even if the cause of the depression is sin/lack of rememberance to Allah swt) and often all they need is a positive frame of mind and realisation that dua is the only ultimate solution. But, how can you convince a suicidal severely depressed individual who has forsaken his salaah to go and give bay't to a Sufi Shaykh?

I agree that ultimately a Shaykh of Tasawwuf maybe able to provide more help than any anti-depressant ever can. However, if Nabi-e-Kareem saw has told us to use medication, then why not use it as an initial step in the path to recovery?

Yes, ECT is very good for depression, but only really for severe depression, and usually when there is a very real risk of suicide. However, we can't really shock everyone who comes through the GP's door for minor depression/life problems. Hey, we all have our problems at the end of the day - I doubt we'd want to be electrocuted 'cause of it!

Anti-depressants aren't one of the most widely prescribed medicines in the UK for no reason!

Madhhab
    Maliki

I think there's alot of dangers in anti-depressants (as i've read many places) but you may be right Akhi. I just think that even if they do work it's not for all of the time.

Psychiatry in the West is nothing compared to true Tassawuf.

Do you believe in "biological depression" I am just curious.

But I am still pretty strong in my belief that they don't work. If you could give me information that proves otherwise, I would be sincerely grateful Akhi.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Jazakallahu Khayrun
    Last edited by Omar HH; 16-03-2005 at 11:00 PM.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

but doctorsaab modern so called medicene and the medicene huzoo saw mentions arent the same.i never use any medicene ,even with flu i get better after 7 days with ,garlic,elachi teas,soup etc,and when i took medicene, 7 days, the same i agree with the dopamine,and other imbalance aspects ,youll know more,but i really have no faith in modern medicene personally,as for vaccines :evil: ,btw how were your exams
    The reason for all trouble on earth, is that people have lost sight of their Lordís Will behind all events. They have lost sight of the hand of the One Who is testing them through those events. They have stopped seeing events as tests from their Lord. Therefore they continue failing those tests. "

Madhhab
    Maliki

Motherator
    Madhhab
    Maliki

Quote Originally Posted by Ohossino
    I think there's alot of dangers in anti-depressants (as i've read many places) but you may be right Akhi. I just think that even if they do work it's not for all of the time.

Psychiatry in the West is nothing compared to true Tassawuf.

Do you believe in "biological depression" I am just curious.

But I am still pretty strong in my belief that they don't work. If you could give me information that proves otherwise, I would be sincerely grateful Akhi.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Jazakallahu Khayrun
    I have very close observations on this matter. I have seen these anti-depressives ruin peoples lives, rather than save and better. Exceptions may occur, but I consider it (according to my personal experience) against islamic ethic to speak on behalf of such life-destroyers . They make a person dependant on drugs rather than solve the problems. The consequences (sp?) can be very, very, very bad for a whole family/community. It is extremely difficult to learn to live without them again for the person.... I know this from many different examples. And the Iman of the person is very difficult to raise. They are, according to my personal estimation, a spot in the mirror of the heart and don't allow the person to fully understand the reality of dhikrullah.

About them working...they work apparently, but only apparently and as such they just pile the problems of the person even more and cause many ppl to become really suicidal, even if they were just a bit in the beginning. and i've seen this. They really don't help at all...

tasawwuf is better, whatever the case imho...

Allahu alam.