Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The History of Al Tabari

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default The History of Al Tabari

Is this authentic and worth looking at ia?

http://www.sunypress.edu/details.asp?id=61520

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Default Re: The History of Al Tabari

Quote Originally Posted by onetinywish View Post

Is this authentic and worth looking at ia?

http://www.sunypress.edu/details.asp?id=61520
    I believe that in that period of time, the historians recorded all of the hadith (regardless of the strength of the hadith) and let the muhaddithin sort them out. So you might find conflicting narrations in the history books and without proper knowledge the hadith might confuse you.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Assalamu Alaykum,

The Tarikh of Imam al-Tabari (rahmat'Allahi alayh) is one of the, if not THE most important history book in Islam (apart from the Hadith collections). Virtualy every other history book is based on this book.

However, the Imam narrated everything he came across and it's therefore full of fabrications. But yes, it does also include Sahih narrations of some of the most important historical events of Islam.

It's an interesting book, because it tells us what sort of narrations where widespread during that era.

wassalam

Madhhab
    Hanafi

and Jk.

I was recommended it by another homeschooling sister. It's something I want to use as a resource. Is there something similar and simpler?

jk

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

First, the price of this collection is too high. $2000 seems too much.

Second, history of the Muslim world should be taken similarly as science of hadith- through authentic narration. So one should turn to Muslim sources for narration of Muslim history first and foremost, if not exclusively.

Third, at Tabari is an acclaimed Muslim historian. But there have been many efforts over the years by Muslims to further authenticate events and accounts beyond which at Tabari accomplished alone many centuries ago.

Fourth, here is a link to a Muslim bookstore in Virginia that has many options in terms of Islamic history in english, including the Tabari collection for $675.

http://halalco.com/history.html

Madhhab
    Hanafi

There is a cheaper option next to the more expensive but from what you have stated it isn't what I'm looking for.

The halaco company - should I buy the books with caution or would you say they are all good books? That may be difficult to tell, I understand. I'm also looking for good normal History books that tell history as it really happened, for eg it was the Muslims that discovered the world was round and not Columbus.

jk

Quote Originally Posted by Usama2 View Post
    First, the price of this collection is too high. $2000 seems too much.

Second, history of the Muslim world should be taken similarly as science of hadith- through authentic narration. So one should turn to Muslim sources for narration of Muslim history first and foremost, if not exclusively.

Third, at Tabari is an acclaimed Muslim historian. But there have been many efforts over the years by Muslims to further authenticate events and accounts beyond which at Tabari accomplished alone many centuries ago.

Fourth, here is a link to a Muslim bookstore in Virginia that has many options in terms of Islamic history in english, including the Tabari collection for $675.

http://halalco.com/history.html

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Assalam Alaikum.

Do not judge the sahaba from history. Instead, judge the sahaba from Quran and Hadeeth.

This was the advise given by Maulana Jamshed (RA) to Maulana Tariq Jameel.

I suggest that, when reading history, if any narration comes up which is contrary to Quran and Hadeeth, throw it on the wall.

When i was with the sipah-e-sahaba, i read a lot of history, including Al-Bidaya Wan Nihaya, Tabari, Ibn-e-Jarir, etc. I read all that under the guidance of Maulana Azam Tariq (RA). Still, there were many narrations on which i had to consult Mufti Abdus Sattar (RA) (Mufti of Khair-ul-Madaris).

Therefore, your aqeedah about the sahaba should be crystal clear, before reading history.

Tabari is good, but i prefer Al-Bidaya Wan-Nihaya.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

I would advise against At-Tareekh At-Tabari because it contains many fabricated narrations. You'll see that it is one of the most quoted "Sunni sources" by the Shi'a to hurl mud at the shaykhain (ra). The Shi'a don't realize that the Tareekh is hardly authentic.

Also, anti-Islam idiots like to quote it as well, including such lies like this:
    "I have fabricated things against God and have imputed to Him words which He has not spoken." -MUHAMMAD (Al-Tabari 6:111)

That quote may or may not exist (I have not looked at the Tareekh to find this quote) but either way, it is a fabrication.

So, as brother Muhammad Ali Munir has said, do not accept any narration from history texts that contradict the Qur'an and the Sunnah.
    ياايها الذين امنوا اذكروا الله ذكرا كثيرا

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Muhammad Ali Munir View Post
    Assalam Alaikum.

Therefore, your aqeedah about the sahaba should be crystal clear, before reading history.
    It is interesting that you give this warning. This is because a number of years ago I read that a shia named al-Shimshati prapared an abridgment (mukhtasar) of al-Tabari's Ta'rikh and that abridgment was translated to Turkish as "Tabari's History."

I saw similar comments in another forum:

"the book of history written by imam Muhammad Ibnu Jarir Attabari was famous and consists of many volumes. however, a shia named Ali Shimshati abridged the books adding and inserting many stories in it. besides, another shia name Ali Tabari wrote a book with the same name. the recent version of Attabari history book all derived from these Non Sunni sources. thus, stories quite counter to the honour of Sahabah kiram inserted in it such as the accusation of hadrat Aisha calling hadrat Uthman with unbecoming terms. do not use these books against the Sunni because there are interpolation in it."

This does not prove anything, but this an issue that seems worth investigating. Asking an expert/scholar/historian might be the way to go.

Wassalam.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Murat Yazici View Post
    It is interesting that you give this warning. This is because a number of years ago I read that a shia named al-Shimshati prapared an abridgment (mukhtasar) of al-Tabari's Ta'rikh and that abridgment was translated to Turkish as "Tabari's History."

I saw similar comments in another forum:

"the book of history written by imam Muhammad Ibnu Jarir Attabari was famous and consists of many volumes. however, a shia named Ali Shimshati abridged the books adding and inserting many stories in it. besides, another shia name Ali Tabari wrote a book with the same name. the recent version of Attabari history book all derived from these Non Sunni sources. thus, stories quite counter to the honour of Sahabah kiram inserted in it such as the accusation of hadrat Aisha calling hadrat Uthman with unbecoming terms. do not use these books against the Sunni because there are interpolation in it."

This does not prove anything, but this an issue that seems worth investigating. Asking an expert/scholar/historian might be the way to go.

Wassalam.
    Assalam Alaikum.

As i have already wrote, that i read the history under the guidance of top sunni ulema, and the result of all that hard work was "Do not judge the sahaba from History, instead judge the sahaba from Quran & Hadeeth".