Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are donuts from Dunkin Donuts Halaal?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Are donuts from Dunkin Donuts Halaal?

Is it?
    Jazakallahu Khair

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Are donuts from Dunkin Donuts Halaal?

I can tell you this much for certain. There are several kosher certified dunkin donut stores in the New York City metropolitan area. Jewish dietary laws are strict about not mixing meat and dairy products. The only difference that I noticed between the kosher stores and the regular ones is that the kosher ones don't sell meat products. That's why Dunkin Donuts bakery products are probably fine from the animal ingredient perspective. However, some bakery products use an ingredient called "L-cysteine" which may be derived from human hair and can still be considered kosher. You can go to their website and check out the ingredients of each of their products. The best thing to do is call the company and ask them about any doubtful ingredients.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by am405 View Post
    I can tell you this much for certain. There are several kosher certified dunkin donut stores in the New York City metropolitan area. Jewish dietary laws are strict about not mixing meat and dairy products. The only difference that I noticed between the kosher stores and the regular ones is that the kosher ones don't sell meat products. That's why Dunkin Donuts bakery products are probably fine from the animal ingredient perspective. However, some bakery products use an ingredient called "L-cysteine" which may be derived from human hair and can still be considered kosher. You can go to their website and check out the ingredients of each of their products. The best thing to do is call the company and ask them about any doubtful ingredients.
    Do dunkin donuts have milk in them? Otherwise, they could have meat products in them and still be kosher, right?

There is also the question of alcohol in the flavoring, like vanilla extract flavor which is extracted using alcohol, right?

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

I and many Muslims more knowledge than I consider donuts from Dunkin Donuts to be halal.

We used to bring Dunkin Donuts to the masjid after fajr when we played basketball.

Brother, the general rule regarding food is that it is halal unless there is evidence showing it to be otherwise.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Usama2 View Post
    I and many Muslims more knowledge than I consider donuts from Dunkin Donuts to be halal.

We used to bring Dunkin Donuts to the masjid after fajr when we played basketball.

Brother, the general rule regarding food is that it is halal unless there is evidence showing it to be otherwise.
    I don't think this is really a sufficient answer. I believe it is required to make reasonable efforts to check, and not just assume, without checking, that it is halal, especially if buying from a non-Muslim.
    If after making reasonable effort, you didn't find anything haraam, then, yes, you will assume that it is halaal until new information comes.
    And I think it's not really useful for everyone else on here to know that you bring Dunkin Donuts to the masjid or not. I mean, this is not a question of opinion, it's something factual that could be checked with the company, what other people are doing really has no bearing.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

, when brother Rasheeduddin Ahmed sees this thread, he will be able to give us information about the ingredients in Dunkin Donuts around the world. Then if there are questions about the permissibility of those ingredients, some of our 'ulama will chime in .

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Assalam O Alaikum

Dunkin Donuts also sell pork products, there are few Muslim owned and majority Dunkin Donuts are Hindu owned franchises. Our business brother never checked with ulema to know that selling pork is Haram for Muslims. I heard there is one Muslim owned Dunkin Donut franchise in Florida who do not sell pork. There is no meat in all bakery products at Dunkin Donuts. The kosher Dunkin Donuts franchise do not sell pork. All Dunkin Donut's donut Mixes and frostings are kosher certified but it is not PARVE means no milk ingredients in the products.

Dunkin Donuts contain flavors both in donut mixes and frosting or topping in which alcohol is used a solvent according many Muslim consumers who reorted to us.

Donuts are two type one is called yeast raised donuts where yeast is used to raise the donuts. The second types is cake donuts where chemicals are used to produce CO2 gas for raising donuts. I was R & D and QA Manager of Rhode Island's Bess Eaton donuts chain.

The L-Cysteine in Dunkin Donuts bagels and cake donuts is from chicken feathers which is not consider Halal by many Ulema.

Muslim Consumer Group is the first oragnization who brought to attention to Muslims in USA that some Naan and Dunkin Donuts were made from human haired L-cystein in nintees. Muslims start bycotting Dunkin Donuts so they changed to chicken feathers. Some ulema consider it Halal but our ulema do not consider it Halal.

This is from our NEWS & ALERT sections of www.muslimconsumergroup.com:

The Following products are Halal at Dunkin Donuts:

1.English Muffin

2. Honey Bran Raisin Muffin

3. Plain Cream Cheese

4. Chive Cream Cheese

The following products contain Halal ingredients except Natural or artificial flavor which may or may not contain alcohol as a solvent:

1.Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

2. Peanut Butter Cup cookie

3. Apple Danish

4. Cheese Danish

5. Strawberry Cheese Danish

6. All Muffins except English Muffin and Honey Bran Raisin Muffin

7. French Toast Twist

8. Biscuit

9. Plain Croissant

10. All yeast raised and cake donuts except Chocolate Coconut Cake Donut, Chocolate Glazed Cake Donut, Double Chocolate Cake Donut, Wheat Glazed Cake Donut, Glazed Chocolate Cake Munchkin and Glazed Chocolate Cake Stick. are made from Halal ingredients except Natural or Artificial flavor where ethyl alcohol may or may not use as a solvent.

11. Sreawberry Cream Cheese

12. Salmon Cream Cheese

13. Lite Cream Cheese

14. Lite Garden Vegetable Cream Cheese

NOT Halal

The following Cake donuts contains L-cysteine:

1.Chocolate Coconut Cake Donuts

2. Chocolate Glazed C ake Donuts

3. Double Chocolate Cake Donuts

4. Wheat Glazed Cake Donuts

5. Glazed hocolate Cake Munchkin

6. Glazed Chocolate Cake Stick

All other donuts both yeast raised and cake donuts contain Halal ingredients except Natural or Artificial flavors which may or may not contain alcohol as a solvent. Please verify with Dunkin Donuts.

Syed Rasheeduddin Ahmed
    Muslim Consumer Group for Food Products
    www.muslimconsumergroup.com
    www.canadianhalalfoods.com

Bagels:

All the bagels contain L-cysteine, so they are not considered Halal if L-cysteine is obtained from human hair.

Cookies:

Chocolate Chunk Cookies contains Vanilla Extract, so it is not considered Halal.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by rasheedahmed View Post
    Assalam O Alaikum

Dunkin Donuts also sell pork products, there are few Muslim owned and majority Dunkin Donuts are Hindu owned franchises. Our business brother never checked with ulema to know that selling pork is Haram for Muslims. I heard there is one Muslim owned Dunkin Donut franchise in Florida who do not sell pork. There is no meat in all bakery products at Dunkin Donuts. The kosher Dunkin Donuts franchise do not sell pork. All Dunkin Donut's donut Mixes and frostings are kosher certified but it is not PARVE means no milk ingredients in the products.

Dunkin Donuts contain flavors both in donut mixes and frosting or topping in which alcohol is used a solvent according many Muslim consumers who reorted to us.

Donuts are two type one is called yeast raised donuts where yeast is used to raise the donuts. The second types is cake donuts where chemicals are used to produce CO2 gas for raising donuts. I was R & D and QA Manager of Rhode Island's Bess Eaton donuts chain.

The L-Cysteine in Dunkin Donuts bagels and cake donuts is from chicken feathers which is not consider Halal by many Ulema.

Muslim Consumer Group is the first oragnization who brought to attention to Muslims in USA that some Naan and Dunkin Donuts were made from human haired L-cystein in nintees. Muslims start bycotting Dunkin Donuts so they changed to chicken feathers. Some ulema consider it Halal but our ulema do not consider it Halal.

This is from our NEWS & ALERT sections of www.muslimconsumergroup.com:

The Following products are Halal at Dunkin Donuts:

1.English Muffin

2. Honey Bran Raisin Muffin

3. Plain Cream Cheese

4. Chive Cream Cheese

The following products contain Halal ingredients except Natural or artificial flavor which may or may not contain alcohol as a solvent:

1.Oatmeal Raisin Cookie

2. Peanut Butter Cup cookie

3. Apple Danish

4. Cheese Danish

5. Strawberry Cheese Danish

6. All Muffins except English Muffin and Honey Bran Raisin Muffin

7. French Toast Twist

8. Biscuit

9. Plain Croissant

10. All yeast raised and cake donuts except Chocolate Coconut Cake Donut, Chocolate Glazed Cake Donut, Double Chocolate Cake Donut, Wheat Glazed Cake Donut, Glazed Chocolate Cake Munchkin and Glazed Chocolate Cake Stick. are made from Halal ingredients except Natural or Artificial flavor where ethyl alcohol may or may not use as a solvent.

11. Sreawberry Cream Cheese

12. Salmon Cream Cheese

13. Lite Cream Cheese

14. Lite Garden Vegetable Cream Cheese

NOT Halal

The following Cake donuts contains L-cysteine:

1.Chocolate Coconut Cake Donuts

2. Chocolate Glazed C ake Donuts

3. Double Chocolate Cake Donuts

4. Wheat Glazed Cake Donuts

5. Glazed hocolate Cake Munchkin

6. Glazed Chocolate Cake Stick

All other donuts both yeast raised and cake donuts contain Halal ingredients except Natural or Artificial flavors which may or may not contain alcohol as a solvent. Please verify with Dunkin Donuts.

Syed Rasheeduddin Ahmed
    Muslim Consumer Group for Food Products
    www.muslimconsumergroup.com
    www.canadianhalalfoods.com

Bagels:

All the bagels contain L-cysteine, so they are not considered Halal if L-cysteine is obtained from human hair.

Cookies:

Chocolate Chunk Cookies contains Vanilla Extract, so it is not considered Halal.

for your response
    Besides L-cysteine and artificial/natural flavors solvent ,are the rest of the ingradients of Donuts safe to consume .I see on their website that they have mono and diglycerides too.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

your research is very beneficial, but there is a BIG QUESTION MARK ..

You mentioned about the Bagels, "IF" the L-cysteine is derived from human hair it is not permisable, and you also mentioned that they have changed to chicken feather for the L-cysteine.

Can we get a definite answer from the Dunkin group regarding where its derived from.

I emailed them, via their website and will call tomorrow, but I dont know how far I will get.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Adeel bin Minhaj View Post
    your research is very beneficial, but there is a BIG QUESTION MARK ..

You mentioned about the Bagels, "IF" the L-cysteine is derived from human hair it is not permisable, and you also mentioned that they have changed to chicken feather for the L-cysteine.

Can we get a definite answer from the Dunkin group regarding where its derived from.

I emailed them, via their website and will call tomorrow, but I dont know how far I will get.
    They have changed the source from human hair to Duck/chicken feather almost 8 years ago.But have they changed the source after that??How can one keep track of it.what do you all do to find the status of halaal food ?