Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ANSWERED: forgetting memorisation of some of the qur'an

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default forgetting memorisation of some of the qur'an

salams,

what is the punishment for this? does it make any difference whether you have intention to re-memorise?

was-salam
    "A believer doesn't make the same mistake twice"

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Memorisation (Hifz) of the Qur’aan was the earliest form of transmission of the text and has been practised by Muslims since revelation began. The Qur’aan is perhaps the only book in human history that has such an outstanding tradition of oral transmission which can be traced back to the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) himself. While in the past memorisation of the Qur’aan used to be the basis of all Muslim education, today there is less emphasis on it due to changes in the educational system of the Muslims.

Benefits of Memorisation of the Qur’aan

1. Hadhrat Abdullah ibn Abbaas (Radhiallaahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, ‘He in whose heart there is no part of the Qur’aan is like a deserted house.’
    2. Uthmaan (Radhiallaahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) said, ‘The most superior amongst you is he who learns the Qur’aan and teaches it.’
    3. ‘Verily, Allah Ta’ala has a family amongst man.’ The Sahaaba (Radhiallaahu Anhum) asked, ‘Who are they, O Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam).’ Nabi (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) answered, ‘The people of the Qur’aan are the family of Allah and his special servants.’ (Ibn Majah)

In another narration, it is mentioned that he who learns the Qur’aan and practices upon it, on the day of Qiyaamat his parents would be made to wear a crown which will outshine the sun, if the son had to be in our homes of this Dunya. Nabi (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) then asked that what is your thought concerning the learner himself..’ (Abu Dawud)

There are many more Ahaadith regarding the benefits of the memorisation of the Qur’aan which can be extracted from the books of Hadith. However, I would like to mention a few logical reasons and benefits of memorisation.

1. Memorisation was the Sunnah of the Prophet (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) and was also observed by the Sahaaba (Radhiallaahu Anhum), Taabi’een and all pious Muslims.
    2. Recitation of passages from memory is required for the correct performance of Salaat.
    3. Passages memorised are useful in practical Da’awah work.
    4. Memorisation and repetition of the Qur’aan leads to more rememberance and awareness of Allah and His message.
    5. Memorisation of the Ahkaam passages leads to more consciousness and determination.
    6. Memorisation leads to a deeper understanding and deeper faith in the message of the Qur’aan.

Although many Muslims, known as Huffaaz, have memorised the complete Qur’aan, but it is an obligation upon every Muslim (young or old) to memorise as much of the Qur’aan, he is capable of doing.

The Age to Start Teaching one’s Child the Qur’aan
    In Tafseer-e-Mazhari, a riwaayat is mentioned on the authority of Hadhrat Anas (Radhiallaahu Anhu) that amongst the Banu Abdul-Muttalib, when any child used to begin speaking, they used to teach him the last verses of Surah Bani Israaeel. From this, we learn that the Qur’aan should be taught as soon as the child is able to speak.

Punishment for Neglecting and Forgetting the Qur’aan
    Becoming a Hafiz is taking on a big responsibility of looking after the Qur’aan. Neglecting recitation of the Qur’aan will lead to earning the wrath and anger of Allah Ta’ala for which we will be punished severely.

A famous riwaayat mentioned in Mishkaat of two angels taking Nabi (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) on a journey and showing him different incidents. Thereafter, revealing their interpretations. One of the incidents was of a person who was lying on the ground and another picking up a boulder and crushing the head of the person lying on the ground, after which the boulder rolled away. By the time the man goes to pick up the boulder and returns, the crushed person head returns to its original state and he repeats this action and punishment. Allah Ta’ala prescribed this punishment for such a person who was neglectful of reciting the Qur’aan.

Although the punishment for neglecting and forgetting the Qur’aan is so severe, this does not mean that one should stay away from acts of worship due to its punishments. As Muslims and parents, our responsibility is to educate, teach and propagate Islam. Whether the recipient practices upon it or not, our responsibility is to propagate and their responsibility is to learn and practice upon it.

There is no doubt that the best gift a parent can give his child is the knowledge of the Qur’aan.

Hadhrat Sa’ad ibn Ubaadah (Radhiallaahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) has mentioned, ‘There is not a man who learns the Qur’aan and forgets it, but he will meet Allah without any good.’ (Abu Dawud)

Hadhrat Anas (Radhiallaahu Anhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Alayhi Wasallam) had mentioned that the rewards of the actions of my Ummah are presented to me, even the reward of that person who removes any dirt from the Masjid. Thereafter, the sins of my Ummah were presented to me. I did not see any sin greater than that of a person who had been given a Surah or Aayat of the Qur’aan, then he forgets it.’ (Abu Dawood; Tirmidhi)

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Qari Ismail Abdul-Azizi
    FACULTY OF THE QUR’AANIC SCIENCES

CHECKED AND APPROVED: Mufti Ebrahim Desai

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Salaam
    Sis
    I hope your Hifz and studies are going fine inshallah
    If you start forgetting quran then you should make an effort to relearn it.
    If you are in the process of re memorising it, i dont think you would be sinning as you are trying to correct your mistake.

I recommend you try to do some revision everyday, if you cant revise it then try to read through a couple of surahs you kno, everyday to keep them in your mind, so you do not forget more of it/them.
    Wassalam

Idrees
    ---------------------------------------------------------------
    THE SUNNAH - RENEW YOUR EFFORTS

Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasalllam] said
    'He who clings to my Sunnah when my Ummah is corrupt, will receive the Reward of a hundred martyrs.'
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    May Allah Ta'ala make us among those who seek to imitate the sacred life and example of Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasalllam], Aameen

Madhhab
    Hanafi

!!Guidelines for Hifz Students!!

Verses from the Qur'an
    Verily We revealed the reminder (Qur'an) and We are its guardian. (Al Hijr, ayah no.9)

Alif Lam Meem. This is the book whereof there is no doubt, a guidance unto those who ward off evil. (Al Baqarah, ayah no.1&2)

Falsehood cannot come to it from before nor from behind it. (It is) a revelation from the All-Wise, the owner of All-Praise. (Fussilat, ayah no. 42)

If we had caused this Qur'an to descend upon a mountain, you would have seen it humbled, bent asunder by the fear of Allah. Such similitudes we give mankind so that he may ponder. (Al Hashr, ayah no. 21)

Traditions of the Holy Prophet sallallahu alaihi wasallam
    a. Uthman Radiallahu anhu narrates that Rasulullah Sallallahu alaihi wasallam said: "The best amongst you is he who learns the Qur'an and teaches it." (Bukhari)

b. Abu Saeed Khudri Radiallahu anhu narrates that the prophet of Allah Sallallahu alaihi wasallam said: "Allah says: "If anybody finds no time for my remembrance and for begging favours of Me, because he remains busy with the Holy Qur'an, I shall give him more than what I give all those who beg favours of Me". The superiority of the word of Allah over all other words is like the superiority of Allah over the entire creation. (Tirmizi)

c. Aisha Radiallahu anha narrates that the prophet of Allah Sallallahu alaihi wasallam once said: "One who is well versed in the Qur'an will be in the company of those angels who are scribes, noble and righteous, and one who falters in reading the Qur'an, and has to exert hard for learning, gets double the reward." (Bukhari)

d. Abdullah ibn Umar Radiallahu anhu reports that the prophet of Allah Sallallahu alaihi wasallam said: "On the day of judgement, it will be said to the man devoted to the Qur'an, 'Go on reciting the Qur'an and continue ascending the storeys of paradise and recite in the slow manner you had been reciting in the worldly life. Your final abode will be where you reach at the time you recite the last ayah (verse)." (Ahmed, Tirmizi ,Abu Dawood)

e. Umar ibn Khattab Radiallahu anhu reported that the prophet of Allah Sallallahu alaihi wasallam said: "Undoubtedly through this book Allah exalts some people and abases others." (Muslim)

f. Ibn Masood Radiallahu anhu reported that the prophet of Allah Sallallahu alaihi wasallam said: "If anyone recites a letter from the Qur'an, he will be credited with one virtue, and a virtue gets a ten-fold reward. I do not say that Alif Lam Mîm is one letter, but Alif is one letter, Lam is one letter and Meem is one letter." (Tirmizi)

g. Ibn Abbas Radiallahu anhu reported that the prophet of Allah Sallallahu alaihi wasallam said: "He who has nothing of the Holy Qur'an in his heart is like a ruined house." (Tirmizi)

h. Abu Lubabah Bashir bin Abdul Mundhar Radiallahu anhu reported that the prophet of Allah Sallallahu alaihi wasallam said: "He who does not recite the Qur'an in a melodious voice is not of us." (Abű Dawűd)

i. Abu Musa Al Ashari Radiallahu anhu reported that the prophet of Allah Sallallahu alaihi wasallam said: "Retain and safeguard the Holy Qur'an in your memory. By the one in whose hands is my life, it (the Qur'an) slips more quicker away from one than a camel from its fetters." (Bukhari & Muslim)

Narrations regarding our Pious Predeccessors
    * Uthman Radiallahu anhu used to fast during the day and spend the whole night in salah apart from getting a little sleep during the first third of the night. It is well known that he used to recite the entire Qur'an in one rakat at a time.

* Qatadah Radiallahu anhu used to recite the whole Qur'an every three nights in the month of Ramadhan but during the last ten nights, he used to finish the whole Qur'an every night.

* Imam Shafi'i Rahmatullah alaihi used to recite the Qur'an about 60 times during the days and nights of Ramadhan.

The Glorious Qur'an
    The book which fills every nook
    To serve as a suit
    For every era of soup
    For a group to scoop
    From its clear brook
    Such a root
    Its melody better than a flute
    Keeping everyone glued
    Its authenticity is such one cannot dispute
    Its meaning is food
    For a hungry man's mood.

Explanation
    The Qur'an and its beautiful teachings has flooded the world filling every nook (corner).

It serves as a suit for every era of soup (for every era when man is faced with difficulty, his solutions lie in the Qur'an and Sunnah).

For a group of pious Ulama to scoop (to extract) solutions to the peoples problems from the Qur'an's teachings which is clearer than a brook (stream).

Such a root, the Qur'an is original and free from any errors.

Its melody is better than a flute, keeping everyone glued, the Qur'an with its beautiful words and meanings, its melodious tune enraptures every true believer.

Its authenticity one can never dispute, its food for a hungry man's mood, it is guidance for those who seek the truth.

There are three important factors to take into consideration when memorising the Qur'an.
    1. The new lesson (also known as sabaq or dars)
    2. The previous day's lesson.
    3. Revision (also known as Muraja'ah, dor)

Questions and Answers

Q - What is the best time to memorise the new lesson?
    A - The best time to learn the new lesson is when one's mind is quite relaxed. Generally this is at the time of Fajr (the morning prayer) and after the Magrib salah (the prayer after sunset).

Q - What is the best method to use in memorising one's new lesson?
    A - One of the most effective methods to use in memorising the new lesson is as follows: Before commencing the actual procedure of memorisation, read the new lesson at least three or four times. This will prepare the student mentally for the lesson, as well as give him the crux of the lesson. Secondly, memorise verse by verse (ayah after ayah). Do not precede to the next verse if you have not memorised the previous one properly. Be very observant when memorising the lesson.

Q - How should one memorise a verse which is extremely long eg. Verse 282 of Surah Al-Imran (Chapter on the family of Imran)?
    A - If the verse is very long, it is most advisable to memorise it in portions, eg. By memorising small portions of the verse. Once the entire verse has been memorised, one would be capable of reciting it fluently.

Q - Is it advisable for students to memorise their lessons by listening to cassettes?
    A - It is advisable for students to listen to their new lesson on cassette then to begin memorising it. However, a more approved method is where the ustadh (teacher) himself recites the new lesson to the student and thereafter the student memorises his lesson.

Q - Are there any special benefits in listening to cassettes by the student?
    A - From the many special benefits here are a few:
    * Listening to these cassettes creates a greater urge and fervour to learn eg. A student loves to listen to the recital of the Qur'an by Sheikh Abdul Rahman As-Sudais, now by him listening to the recitation, this enhances the desire of learning.
    * The student gets more familiar with the method of recital.
    * The student tends to remember his lesson for a longer period of time.
    NB. The effort of the student is still of utmost importance.

Q - Many students keep mentioning that certain chapters of the Qur'an are extremely difficult to memorise eg. Surah As Saffat. Please advise us.
    A - These are merely statements of ignorance. Psychology proves when a person retains such statements and takes them to heart, one is bound to find the lesson difficult to memorise. The clarity of mind plays an extremely important role when memorising a lesson.

Q - Can you enlighten us on the importance of reciting one's lesson to the teacher before commencing the actual process of memorisation?
    A - The importance of reciting the new lesson by the teacher cannot be over emphasized. One is definitely saved from many errors which could arise because of negligence. The student is made aware of any weakness regarding the application of the laws of tajweed etc.

Q - How much of the new lesson should a student learn?
    A - This depends mainly on the student himself. The amount varies from 1/3 of a page to 2 pages and more.

NB. Quality is of utmost importance, not quantity.

Thus far most of the questions dealt with the 'new lesson' (sabaq). Hereunder follow questions pertaining to the 'previous day's lessons', revision (dor, Muraj'ah) as well as miscellaneous advice and noteworthy points.

Q - Students find great difficulty in remembering their previous day's lesson. What is the main cause for this?
    A - The main cause for students forgetting their previous day's lesson is negligence.

Hereunder follow some methods which will assist the students. As soon as the student recites his new lesson to the teacher from memory, he must revise the very same lesson instantly at least 4 to 5 times. The very same method should be adopted before one learns one's revision (i.e. the repetition of the new lesson).

Q - Students tend to make a lot of mistakes when reciting their revision. What is the cause of this?
    A - Mistakes are unavoidable. It must be remembered that memorising the Qur'an takes different stages eg. First the student has to memorise the new lesson, revise it etc. It is like a building. The foundation has to be firm. Then only is it possible for the building to stand. Similarly, once the student makes the effort to learn his new lesson (sabaq) correctly, his revision becomes easier.

To decrease the rate of mistakes, the teacher can set a target for the student eg. the student is not permitted to make more than 3 or 4 mistakes in a surah (chapter).

Q - What is the recommended amount of revision that a student should recite daily?
    A - The Qur'an consists of 30 parts, it would be highly recommended that every student recites at least one part every day.

Q - How does a student remember those texts/ places in the Qur'an which are very often repeated? (Mutashabihat)
    A - One can only remember these places after excessive learning.

Q - Is it necessary for a student to learn from one print of the Qur'an or can he learn from different prints of the Qur'an?
    A - It is very important that a student learns from one print of the Qur'an, because the student generally visualises his lessons. Now if he starts learning from different prints, very soon he is going to be confused.
    NB. This also leads to a lot of strain on the student's mind.

Q - Does one learn better by reciting audibly or inaudibily?
    A - This depends mainly on the student. Some students prefer to learn aloud whereas others prefer to learn in a low voice. The advantage of reciting aloud is that one tends to read more clearly and will detect any mistake one makes easily.

Arshad Cassim : Dar-al-Qur'an, South Africa
    Printed and published by: Madrasah Arabia Islamia, Azaadville, South Africa.
    Courtesy: www.everymuslim.com
    Wassalam

Idrees

'He who clings to my Sunnah when my Ummah is corrupt, will receive the Reward of a hundred martyrs.'
    May Allah Ta'ala make us among those who seek to imitate the sacred life and example of Rasulullah [sallallaahu alayhi wasalllam], Aameen

Madhhab
    Maliki

Go look this up in the Relliance of the Traveler,

Shaykh Nuh did a good job.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

jazakallah brother,

what it is i've alhamdulillah memorised 13 sipari.However i've had many breaks inbetween due to teachers who stopped teaching because they had children/went abroad etc and at many times i was without a teacher altogether and it was very difficult for me to read at home.
    Basically now i've got myself sorted again as you can imagine its been a while since i recited the ones i learnt they have got mistakes in. But, i figured i'll carry on learning more and rectify my mistakes as i go along and if i get to the end of the full memorisation and still have mistakes to take out i'll carry on taking them out.

just a quick question though, im 16 now and people say if i don't finish before i get to university there's no way i can finish.I mean i know its hard work with exams and everything, but i have them now and im still carrying on with my hiffuz. what age did any of the huffaz here finish the full memorisation? am i running late?

was-salam

Madhhab
    Maliki

Imam Zaid Shakir memorized the Qur'an at 38 with Morroccan school children while he was a college professor!

A grandmother in her 80s just memorized the Qur'an.

Your never too late to try. And nothing happens if God doesn't will it to happen.

Jazakallahu Khayrun

Madhhab
    Hanafi

No. I know a brother who started doing Hifz when he was 18, but still was able to complete his BSc. He even led Taraweeh this year.

You still have atleast 2 years before university (don't know about UK's system, but here you can start uni when you're 18). You're already, mash'Allah, a half-Hafiz, so you can easily finish it before uni. 2 years is a LONG time, 730 days. Even if you do half-a-page everyday, you'll still be able to finish in time.

Just remember to do your Dhor REGULARLY. It doesn't matter whether or not you learn Sabaq for even months altogether, but not doing Dhor for even a few days will cause you to forget.

Even if you don't have a teacher, still do your Dhor. Make a schedule for yourself, that you'll do a Juz in the morning, and then one in the evening. For example, you know the first 13 Juz. So in the morning, you recite the 1st Juz, and then in the evening you recite the 13th Juz. On the second day, you recite the 2nd Juz in the morning, and the 12th in the evening. You keep doing one Juz from the 'front', and one from the 'back'. This technique is employed by many Madrassahs to great success.

Once you totally forget what you'd once learned, it becomes immensely difficult to memorise it again as you lose the enthusiasm you had before. You start to think that "I've already memorised this, why should I waste my time doing it again..." This is what causes most people to forget forever, make sure you steer yourself clear from this thought.

"It's easy to become a Hafiz, but it's difficult to remain a Hafiz."
    "People are asleep when they're alive, they're awakened when they die" - Sayyidina Ali.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

I would definitely agree with those last words!
    jazakallah that has really boosted my annxiousness to carry on and put the effort in.Thanks again brothers.

was-salam

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Salaam
    This a reply one of my friends got from madrasah arabia islamia,last year about the same stuff u are asking sister Saleena

---------------------

As-Salaamu 'Alaikum Wa Rahmatullaahi Wa Barakaatuhu

We acknowledge the receipt of your query and our response is as follows:-

We are glad to hear of your friend starting to practice on Islaam and his desire to go back to Madrassah. May Allah Ta’aala through his grace let him accomplish this desire and grant his parents the true understanding. May Allah Ta’aala let your friend also reach his goal of becoming a Hafiz and Aalim. This is not far fetched for Allah Ta’aala.

Now knowing a portion of the Quraan is also a great bounty. To be negligent and forget it is being unthankful. On been unthankful there are severe warnings.
    Allah Ta’aala mentions in the Holy Quraan-e-Kareem:

وَإِذْ تَأَذَّنَ رَبُّكُمْ لَئِن شَكَرْتُمْ لأَزِيدَنَّكُمْ وَلَئِن كَفَرْتُمْ إِنَّ عَذَابِي لَشَدِيدٌ

Translation: And (remember) when your Lord proclaimed: "If you give thanks I will give you more (of My Blessings), but if you are thankless verily! My Punishment is indeed severe."

However your friend wants to make up for his neglect and he still knows how to read looking inside, he should make some effort towards this direction; Inshallah Allah Ta’aala will not take him to task.
    Now when going to Madrassah he should discuss the matter with his Ustaaz (teachers). Whatever advice they give him he should opt for that. Inshallah in this way there will be goodness.
    It is important for an Aalim that he is also a Hafiz of the Holy Quraan-e-Kareem.
    Remember that there are many incidents also where people had memorized the Holy Quraan-e-Kareem at old age. There are also incidents of people who memorized the Holy Quraan-e-Kareem after completion of the Aalim course.
    Your friend is still young. If Allah Ta’aala wills Insha-Allah he will be a Hafiz and Aalim. He should make Dua to Allah Ta’aala that He accepts him and make every thing easy for him with safety.
    In our institution last year a student aged 45 had memorized the Holy Quraan-e-Kareem in a mere period of 9 months.
    Another student this year aged 27 after completing the Aalim course had finished the Holy Quraan-e-Kareem in a short period of about 3 months.

These are examples of our institution and of that which we know about. There must be million of other examples that we are not aware of.

Becoming a Hafiz is a gift from Allah Ta’aala alone and He grants it to whom he wants and no matter what the person’s age may be.

AND ALLAH TA’AALA KNOWS BEST

Ebrahim Pandor
    6 Jumadal-Oola’a 1425
    25 June 2004
    Wassalam

Idrees

Madhhab
    Maliki

What does that mean "no longer read it from the text" i.e. forget how to read Arabic?