Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Folding pants while reading salah

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Folding pants while reading salah

i got this message in my email, can someone answer or provide link for this

"is folding pant(below knees) in namaaz makrooz e tahreemi (wajib to repeat namaaz)"

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Folding pants while reading salah

Folding One’s Clothes for Salah
    http://deoband.org/2009/04/fiqh/sala...hes-for-salah/

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by hamood View Post

i think the guy is asking, if we fold while we are praying salah

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Salaam,

I really dont know but i think i have answered that already.

Folding pants during salah is prescribed.

Any garment that you wear to cover your legs, be it a trouser, jeans or pyjama etc, which exceeds the ankle length, that hangs over the ankle length has to folded or folded multiple times to make the length of the garment slightly above the ankle length.

The following hadith should throw some more light to this, i am however uncertain of the source of the hadith.

It was reported in a hadeeth narrated by Abu Dawood that Abu Hurayrah said: “Whilst a man was praying with his izaar (lower garment/pants) hanging below his ankles, the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Go and do wudoo’.”… He said, “He was praying with his izaar hanging below his ankles, and Allaah does not accept the prayer of a man who lets his izaar hang below his ankles. (Narrated by Abu Dawood, al-Salaah, 543. This was classed as da’eef (weak) by al-Albaani in Da’eef Sunan Abi Dawood, no. 124).

With regard to the validity of prayer, Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymeen was asked about that and he said: If the garment is hanging down below the ankles, then it is haraam, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said, “Whatever part of the izaar (lower garment) is hanging down below the ankles is in the Fire.” What the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said concerning the izaar also applies to other types of clothing.

Based on this, a person has to lift his thobe (galabiyah) or other garments to be above his ankles. If he prays in it when it is below his ankles, then there is a difference of opinion among the scholars as to whether his prayer is valid.

Some of them think that his prayer is valid, because this man has done what is obligatory, i.e., covering his ‘awrah.

Some of them think that his prayer is not valid, because he has covered his ‘awrah with a haraam garment. They say that one of the conditions of covering the ‘awrah is that the garment worn should be permissible. So a man is in danger if he prays in a garment that comes down below his ankles; he should fear Allaah and raise his garment so that it will be above his ankles.

It must be clarified here that a sister must not uncover their ankles during prayer (salat). The ruling for having the pants (lower garments) above your ankles ONLY applies for men. Sisters must be covered from head to toes (literally). Because a woman's feet (certainly her ankles) are part of AWRAH (part of the body that must be covered by Islamic law)

As a matter of fact some scholars say that a woman's prayer is not valid without covering her feet (with socks). There is certainly evidence (from hadith for that ruling).
    Last edited by djzedge; 23-08-2009 at 05:17 PM. Reason: General

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by djzedge View Post
    Salaam,

I really dont know but i think i have answered that already.

Folding pants during salah is sunnat. That is what our Prophet (PBUH) used to follow. And from there on is been followed till date.

could you cite where it says that "folding pants during salah" is sunnah. Unless you mean keeping garments above the ankle is sunnah, then you should change those words. But for folding the pants being a sunnah needs some proof.. could you cite that please..

Madhhab
    Hanafi

What it meant is keeping the lower garment above the ankles. In the condition, which is mentioned later in the post if your lower garment is longer than your ankle's length, then you should fold it to bring it slightly above the ankle length. I have made changes to the previous posts as well.

The following points are to be understood from the hadith mentioned in the previous post. To hang the garments below the ankles is a major sin; it is for this reason the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him and give him peace) commanded the person to repeat his prayer and ablution as penalization (zajr) and reprimand (tawbikh) as is mentioned by ‘Allamah Tibi and Ibn Qayyim Jawziyya in his Tahdhib al-Sunan.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

As-salamu 'alaykum,

As sidi Abu Hajira pointed out, there is a difference between a) keeping one's lower garment above the ankles and b) folding ones pants (trousers).
    Abu Salma

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Salaam,

I guess the meaning is the same. If you can tie your lower garment above your navel in a fashion that it ends slightly above the ankle length then it is fine. In the event, with a trouser or a jeans especially when you cannot stretch it enough above your waist to bring it above your ankle length, you have to fold it.

As it is mentioned, the lower garment should be above your ankle length. You pull it above your waist or fold it, ideally the purpose is the same.
    Last edited by djzedge; 23-08-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: General

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by djzedge View Post
    You pull it above your waist or fold it, ideally the purpose is the same.
    and the question was about "pulling it while i am allready in salah"!

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by streetwalker View Post
    and the question was about "pulling it while i am allready in salah"!
    Salaam,

Whilst you are already in salah, you can't do that, right? It voids your salah. Same way when staring at a different person or object in between your salah nullifies it.