Thread: itikaf for females

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default itikaf for females

if a female observes itikaf in her home, can she do any of the following things:

have a shower

walk around the room she is in
    Last edited by maryam135135; 09-09-2009 at 05:22 PM.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: itikaf for females

What about cooking,cleaning etc . Not spending hours on the task but just enough time to get the task done and then go back to Itekhaf? I know i read that domestic duties should be done by daughters and maids etc . What if the daughter wants to observe Itekhaf but at the same time assist with the domestic duties Is that possible?
    Last edited by Quraatulain; 27-08-2009 at 10:21 AM.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

http://www.intisaarul.netfirms.com/i..._for_women.htm

Womenfolk can also earn the great reward of I’tikaaf by performing I’tikaaf in their homes. The noble wives of Rasoolullah sallallahu alaihi wasallam all used to observe the I’tikaaf of Ramadaan after he had passed away. The following rules relate to a woman's I’tikaaf.

1. The place of I’tikaaf:

It is not permissible for women to perform I’tikaaf in a Musjid.

For this purpose they should select the room wherein they perform their salah. Alternatively, she may choose any room or area within her home for I’tikaaf. Having done this, the place she has selected for I’tikaaf will now have the same ruling as a Musjid for I’tikaaf purposes.

The same laws that apply to the Musjid for men (as stated elsewhere)** will apply for women to the room they choose for I’tikaaf. They will not be allowed to leave the room of I’tikaaf except for reasons given earlier.

(** Women should read through all the laws mentioned in the I’tikaaf for men, since most apply to females as well. Differences have been pointed out in the latter part of this treatise.)

2. The woman is also allowed to fetch or cook her own food if no one else can execute this duty, but should go back as soon as she is done. She has to partake of her meals in her place of I’tikaaf.

3. It is necessary for a woman that she first obtain her husband's permission before beginning the I’tikaaf. Without his permission, her I’tikaaf is not valid.

4. Before commencing I’tikaaf, she has to be free from haiz and nifaas. If a women is overtaken by the monthly menses, the I’tikaaf breaks and she will have to observe the I’tikaaf of that particular day as qaza upon becoming clean, (i.e as soon as the haiz or nifaas ends), either during the remaining days of Ramadaan or afterwards.

5. If the qaza of that one day's I’tikaaf is made after Ramadaan, she has to observe a Nafl fast on that day, since fasting is a condition for a wajib I’tikaaf.

6. Sexual intimacy and foreplay with the husband during this period is not permissible, but the I’tikaaf is not nullified through this except if such actions result in discharge of semen.

7. Sexual intercourse breaks the I’tikaaf (even if there was no discharge of semen). Besides sexual relations, any act which results in the emission of sperm while awake breaks the I’tikaaf.

The moment I’tikaaf breaks, qaza of that day becomes wajib.

8. Discharge of semen during sleep does not break the I’tikaaf (as mentioned earlier), and in such an event, ghusl should be made as soon as possible, immediately after which the woman should return to her place of I’tikaaf.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Quraatulain View Post

What about cooking,cleaning etc . Not spending hours on the task but just enough time to get the task done and then go back to Itekhaf? I know i read that domestic duties should be done by daughters and maids etc . What if the daughter wants to observe Itekhaf but at the same time assist with the domestic duties Is that possible?
    if there are female people in the house who can cook then it is incorrect to leave the place of itikaf unless they really need help but that means u have to go, help and do ur stuff without wasting time and come back as soon as possible

would be grateful if someone could answer the questions int he first post

jzk

Madhhab
    None

isnt itikaaf at home for shafi/maliki/hanbali women invalid i.e. its only allowed in the masjid for them?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by daywalk3r View Post
    isnt itikaaf at home for shafi/maliki/hanbali women invalid i.e. its only allowed in the masjid for them?

Assalamu Alaikum

taken from Ramadhan Q & A -By Mufti Abdool Kader Hoosen
    http://attalib.blogspot.com/2008/09/itikaf-q.html

VENUE FOR FEMALE I'TIKAF
    Q: Where should a female make her I'tikaf?

A: According to the Shafi'es, Malikis, Hanbalis, I'tikaf can only be performed in the Masjid. Hence, men will sit in the male section whilst females will perform their I'tikaf in the female section of the masjid. It is not permissible to perform I'tikaf at home according to the above mentioned scholars. However, the Hanafi scholars state that it is permissible for females to perform their I'tikaf at home in a place which is reserved for salat. Cognizance must be taken of the fact that women must not be in menses or post-natal (nifas), similarly she must take permission from her husband to sit in I'tikaf.

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MALE & FEMALE I'TIKAF
    Q: Is there any difference between a male and females I'tikaf?

A: The same rules which apply to a man observing I'tikaf in the masjid, apply to a woman observing I'tikaf in a place of seclusion at home (according to the Hanafis). The majority of the scholars state that a woman can only perform I'tikaf in a masjid.

I wonder if it is encouraged/recommended for the ladies to do itikaf in the other 3 madhaib.
    سبحانك لا علم لنا إلا ما علمتنا إنك أنت العليم الحكيم