Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it halal to play video games?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Is it halal to play video games?

I don't mean video games like grand theft auto, which is clearly haram. I play video games like final fantasy, kingdom hearts, or and Role-playing games. Is it haram to play video games? I was just asking since I am an avid video game fan, but music is also in video games. Not music like songs, but background music. After all this, are video games halal or haram?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Is it halal to play video games?

Quote Originally Posted by bladeknight View Post
    I don't mean video games like grand theft auto, which is clearly haram. I play video games like final fantasy, kingdom hearts, or and Role-playing games. Is it haram to play video games? I was just asking since I am an avid video game fan, but music is also in video games. Not music like songs, but background music. After all this, are video games halal or haram?

Check out: http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2161

Madhhab
    Hanafi

The only kind of modern video game I can think of that is clearly halal might be flight/driving simulators (assuming no music and images), since one could possibly claim to be getting benefit so they are not a waste of time. Besides that, RPG's and so on, if they don't have any haraam content or music, etc. at best would be disliked because they are a waste of time.

If there exists a video game without music or images or other haraam content, and a family plays it together for the sake of spending time together and developing love, then that would be a good thing. But I don't know of the existence of such a game.

Banned
    Madhhab
    Hanafi

Dear brother, your striving to learn the correct rulings of Islam which is commendable. May Allah strengthen and guide you.

Althought this is not a direct answer to your question you should bear in mind that in Islam time is one of the most valuable resources. We all have only a limited amount of time before we leave this world to meet our Lord, therefore we must exert greatest attention to using our time in useful ways. We should not waste our time and try to do good works, increasing our knowledge of Islam, spending time with our families, doing tabligh/dawah (invitation to Islam) etc.

Although games, music etc. might seem very attractive they have no real benefit for us in this life and the next.

Don't take it wrong, Islam does take into account the natural need for recreational activities but these must be in compliance with the divine law and way of life. For example running, riding horses and swimming are a recreational activities and these are encouraged in the hadiths.
    Not only are they recreational but they also keep your body and soul in good condition by the will of Allah. So there is a real benefit in them besides plain recreation.

I have attached a pdf file at the end of this post which is about recreational activities in Islam, insha Allah it will benefit you brother.

Attached Files Attached Files

Madhhab
    Hanafi

There is nothing haram with playing video games in terms of if it doesn't rule your life. Grand Theft Auto is obviously haram and never really appealed to me. But playing video games is the same as riding a horse or any other recreational activity. It becomes haram when it rules your life over the deen. Very simple. It would be like saying playing chess is haram. It neither benefits this life or the next. It uses the same principles that are based upon many real fighting games (not talking about Fight Night, but rather, the Street Fighter series). With that said, yes there are always activities that you could be doing to better yourself, but the best of those activities is always Zhikr. But please do not make haram what is not haram. If you say the music in games is haram, then you should find supermarkets where they do not play music because it is the same principle. Also, before we even get into the whole whether videogames are halal or haram, I would suggest (and myself first above anyone) that we all get deeper into our Salats and extra prayers.

Madhhab
    None

You could just turn off the volume, if it does not involve you disobeying Allah i think it is halal.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

buy connect 4

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by meelash View Post
    The only kind of modern video game I can think of that is clearly halal might be flight/driving simulators (assuming no music and images), since one could possibly claim to be getting benefit so they are not a waste of time. Besides that, RPG's and so on, if they don't have any haraam content or music, etc. at best would be disliked because they are a waste of time.

If there exists a video game without music or images or other haraam content, and a family plays it together for the sake of spending time together and developing love, then that would be a good thing. But I don't know of the existence of such a game.
    Tetras, sneezies, UNO are all good family games.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne View Post
    Tetras, sneezies, UNO are all good family games.
    Tetris is the only game you should play on your PS3
    إن كان حب آل البيت رفضا فليشهد الثقلان إني رافضي

من أقوال الإمام الشافعي

Please Take a look in the Thread Dedicated to our Beloved Prophet PBUH by clicking here.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

I conquered nearly all of Europe and converted them to Islam, in Empire Total War. Unfortunately some of my governors were corrupt and had less than good moral characters, so I had to have them assassinated.
    What is destined will reach you, even if it be underneath two mountains. What is not destined, will not reach you, even if it be between your two lips