Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanafi fiqh - Is trimming sideburns a bida'

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Hanafi fiqh - Is trimming sideburns a bida'

Assalamu alaikum,

I want to ask the ulema the above question. The reason being is that I read in Beheshti Zewar that taking off the hair on the lower lip (baby beard) is a bida'. Now I am seeing many religious people including ulema are trimming the sideburns. I am assuming these people are considering it permissible to trim the sideburns and even if they are not, their example (because they are religious authority or ulema) are enough to set a "trend". If this impermissible action is starting to be considered permissible then does it not become a bida' - just as it says that taking off the baby beard is a bida'.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Hanafi fiqh - Is trimming sideburns a bida'

Quote Originally Posted by hope1 View Post
    Assalamu alaikum,

I want to ask the ulema the above question. The reason being is that I read in Beheshti Zewar that taking off the hair on the lower lip (baby beard) is a bida'. Now I am seeing many religious people including ulema are trimming the sideburns. I am assuming these people are considering it permissible to trim the sideburns and even if they are not, their example (because they are religious authority or ulema) are enough to set a "trend". If this impermissible action is starting to be considered permissible then does it not become a bida' - just as it says that taking off the baby beard is a bida'.
    Ive noticed that meself. Its a normal thing now,where the sideburns are trimmed so the hair does not stick out too much. The hair is not trimmed so finely but it is trimmed. What this does then is the layman,instead of asking the mas'ala,simply look at the scholars and think,oh they are doing it so it must be allowed. And its not only one or two scholars but alot of the young alims and mufti's are doing action of trimming the sideburns.

would like the unpit of our resident scholars please.

Storms brewing.......................

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Bismillah

As-salamu 'alaykum,

There is a relevant Q&A from Mufti Ebrahim Desai here:

Are we allowed to trim our sideburns if it is too curly and looks really bad because it gets really curly as long as we donít trim our beard itself???

The answer:

"The beard itself starts from the slightly protruding bone close to the ear.

It is permissible to trim the hair above that bone, but below that bone may only be trimmed to a fist's length. If it is still too curly, then you can use a hair styling gel, etc. to neaten it. (Fataawa Mahmoodiyah vol.8 pg.294)

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai"

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Salma View Post
    I am referring to the hair which is on the vertical part of the face which is part of the beard. Not what is above the "beard".

Madhhab
    Hanafi

I am referring to the hair which is on the vertical part of the face which is part of the beard. Not what is above the "beard".
    You asked about sideburns. So did the questioner on Ask-Imam and that was what Mufti Ebrahim (db) addressed as I understood it. The "hair above that bone" would then refer to the sideburns.

Wa Allahu a'lam.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

You asked about sideburns. So did the questioner on Ask-Imam and that was what Mufti Ebrahim (db) addressed as I understood it. The "hair above that bone" would then refer to the sideburns.

Wa Allahu a'lam.
    Assalamu alaikum brother,

From my understranding and this is what Mufti Ibrahim Desai is saying as well, part of the sideburn is part of the beard and part is not. If you consider the sideburn to be the hair from the top the ears all the say down where the jaw curves and becomes horizontal, then part of the sideburn is only the beard and part is not. The part which is not part of the beard is from the top of the ears to the joint where the jaw bone meets the skull bone. This joint is approximately at the bottom of the ears. This is the part which can be trimmed (Note: Before editing this said cannot be trimmed) because these hairs are on the skull bone and not the jawbone. The part which is below the joint to where the jaw curves and becomes horizontal cannot be trimmed as this is on the jawbone.
    Last edited by hope1; 29-10-2009 at 09:08 PM. Reason: What I wrote did not make sense. The parts underlined have been changed.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

From my understranding and this is what Mufti Ibrahim Desai is saying as well, part of the sideburn is part of the beard and part is not. If you consider the sideburn to be the hair from the top the ears all the say down where the jaw curves and becomes horizontal, then part of the sideburn is only the beard and part is not. The part which is not is the part of the beard is from the top of the ears to the joint where the jaw bone meets the skull bone. This joint is approximately at the bottom of the ears. This is the part which cannot be trimmed. The part which is above the joint to the top of the ears can be trimmed.
    Wa 'alaykum us-salam brother,

OK, that makes sense!

Madhhab
    Hanafi

OK, that makes sense!

Assalamu aliakum brother,

AlhamduliAllah. Now hopefully any 'alim (hopefully Mufti Husain) can answer the question.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

OK, that makes sense!

brohter, i realized what i wrote previously did not make much sense. I edited the post.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

From my understranding and this is what Mufti Ibrahim Desai is saying as well, part of the sideburn is part of the beard and part is not. If you consider the sideburn to be the hair from the top the ears all the say down where the jaw curves and becomes horizontal, then part of the sideburn is only the beard and part is not. The part which is not part of the beard is from the top of the ears to the joint where the jaw bone meets the skull bone. This joint is approximately at the bottom of the ears. This is the part which can be trimmed (Note: Before editing this said cannot be trimmed) because these hairs are on the skull bone and not the jawbone. The part which is below the joint to where the jaw curves and becomes horizontal cannot be trimmed as this is on the jawbone.
    i was taught that you cannot trim from below the slightly protruding bone which is just below the temple.