Thread: Urdu versus Arabic

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Urdu versus Arabic

My child is 14 months. I am trying to teach him urdu, but am conflicted because arabic is the language of our deen. Should I teach him urdu the add arabic at 4 years old or later, or just forget about urdu. My own urdu is weak so it is a struggle anyway.

jazakallah.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Urdu versus Arabic

Teach him both. That way he'll have access to the treasures found in both langauges.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

I didn't teach them Urdu because i found that Arabic was more important that most books were in Arabic and thus more beneficial. Plus all the fitnah of the sub-continent has just put me off. We need the sufi ulema to sort these extreme sufis out . ruining our name and just giving the salafis more and more ammo

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by motheroftwo View Post
    I didn't teach them Urdu because i found that Arabic was more important that most books were in Arabic and thus more beneficial. Plus all the fitnah of the sub-continent has just put me off. We need the sufi ulema to sort these extreme sufis out . ruining our name and just giving the salafis more and more ammo
    can u be more precise. i don't know what u r saying

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Quote Originally Posted by hope1 View Post
    can u be more precise. i don't know what u r saying
    simply because when i went to India i saw a lot of grave worship rather than intercession going blatent shirk of muslims bowing to graves and making sajda to graves and soothsayers.

As for Arabic well it benefits my children more than Urdu, they don't speak urdu but i believe that Arabic will benefit them more in their life.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Arrow Re: Urdu versus Arabic

Quote Originally Posted by mikail2 View Post
    My child is 14 months. I am trying to teach him urdu, but am conflicted because arabic is the language of our deen. Should I teach him urdu the add arabic at 4 years old or later, or just forget about urdu. My own urdu is weak so it is a struggle anyway.

jazakallah.
    Brother,Assalamualaikum:
    Yes, Arabic is the Language of the Holy Quran and Islam.Let's at the same time know that every language is the language of Islam.It is so because Knowledge is the realm of every Muslim.A Muslim must know as many languages as possible so that it is possible for him not only to know more and more but also spread the message of Islam.The more languages your child knows the better for him.Arabic,English,Urdu,Persian have treasures for every Muslim.But if we don't learn Chinese,French etc,for example,how will we be able to reach out to people who know only these languages.
    Brother,learning a new language means that you develop an additional eye for knowing and seeing the world of Allah.
    Then , it is easier for children to learn many languages.Once you are grown up it becomes a little difficult.
    I would request you to teach your child Urdu , as well.You can't imagine the 'treasures of Islam' which are available in this language.Great minds have worked very hard to make almost everything important available in Urdu.What is not to be found there?
    Allah bless us all with right approach to things and problems .

Madhhab
    Hanafi

simply because when i went to India i saw a lot of grave worship rather than intercession going blatent shirk of muslims bowing to graves and making sajda to graves and soothsayers.

As for Arabic well it benefits my children more than Urdu, they don't speak urdu but i believe that Arabic will benefit them more in their life.
    Sister in Islam,
    Assalamuallaikum,

Yes,it is painful to find people 'bowing in front of graves' and 'making sajada'.There is no scope for such activities in Islam. A Muslim can offer Sajda only before Allah.Yes,Shifaat (intercession) as prescribed in islam is genuinely right.
    The fact is that these people are ignorant.What is our (yours and mine) duty as a Muslim in such a situation ? Don't we need to reach out to them? Ulema have been doing their duty to a great extent and ,you will be surprised to know that most of these people you saw doing sajada and grave worship in India know only one language and that is Urdu.if they are to be contacted and reformed that can only be done through 'Urdu" medium.
    Arabic is/must be the first language of every Muslim after his/her Mother tongue.But it does not mean that we should not learn other languages or as many languages as possible.The more languages you know the better Daii and human being you are.
    if you feel that your child needs to develop relations with people/Muslims in the sub-continent,he needs must learn/know Urdu. Your child/any child can be a good Muslim without knowing Urdu or English etc but there is no harm in knowing these languages. By the way,sister do you feel that Knowing Urdu has anything to do with grave worship?
    May Allah bless us all with evrything nice.
    Last edited by masoodirafi; 04-12-2009 at 12:29 PM.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Sister in Islam,
    Assalamuallaikum,
    Arabic is the most important language for each and every Muslim simply because it is the Language of the Quaran and Sunnah. Let's at the same time remember that the world we are living in is a multilingual world- a world where to be a successfully meaningful Muslim you must be a multi-lingual person.
    "Fitnah of the sub-continent" in fact is not the fitnah of the sub-continent.It came to sub-continent from .............and is an invention of the enemies of islam.The non-nonsensical "fitnah Literature pertaining to Islam" will not amount even to one percent of Islamic literature available in Urdu language.To mention only the great works about Taffasir and Seerat,only a few languages can boast as much as Urdu.Let's see what is "good and useful" and set right what is 'not good".
    Let your children learn and know as many language as possible,Urdu included.At the same time teach them to accept only what is "permitted" and reject all that is "forbidden" .It behooves a Muslim to see and then reject or accept in the light of Islam.
    It will help to repeat that each and every language belongs to a Muslim because each and every Muslim has the whole world as his motherland:
    "Hur Mulk mulki maa aast, ki Mulki Khudai maa aast.'
    Translation:
    Every country is my country in that it Is the country of my Allah.
    And we can,likewise say and believe, that every language is my .language because it is the language (made by )of my Allah.
    Let's leave the so called Salafi's alone.in fact,we are the Genuine Salafi's because we follow our Aslaff:the Prophet (Sallallahualaihiwassalam),the Khulfaai Raashideen (R.A),the Suhaba (R.A),the Taabieen (R.A) ....et all.Which Aslaf do they follow ,respect or follow?Hardly any.The best way to deal with them is is to neglect them and go on spreading the Genuine message of Islam.And,Sister,the best medium for launching anti- "So-called Salfi" Movement is Urdu.
    There is no requirement of providing ammunition to the "So-called Salfi's".Reason or no reason, they must oppose and 'insult' one of the the Great Muhsin's of Muslims Hazrat Imam Abu Hanifa (A.R).
    Last edited by masoodirafi; 26-11-2009 at 05:49 AM. Reason: corrections

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

My sons are currently studying Portuguese and Spanish along side their medical studies because the want to become in Imams in Brazils/ South America.

Urdu is a good language but i want my sons to make a change in this world for people who haven't heard the message and there keen to do dawa anyway