Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Saying Merry Christmas Haram?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Is Saying Merry Christmas Haram?

Is it haram to say merry christmas to a non-muslim if he says it to you? Non-muslims often say Happy Eid to Muslims during the Muslim's holiday so why can't we do the same to the christians? If we cannot do it when they say merry christmas to us, won't that create animosity to the muslims?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Is Saying Merry Christmas Haram?

Quote Originally Posted by bladeknight View Post
    Is it haram to say merry christmas to a non-muslim if he says it to you? Non-muslims often say Happy Eid to Muslims during the Muslim's holiday so why can't we do the same to the christians? If we cannot do it when they say merry christmas to us, won't that create animosity to the muslims?
    and dont forget

"and a happy new year"
    إملاء الخير خير من السكوت والسكوت خير من إملاء الشر

"Speaking what is good is better than silence, and silence is better than speaking evil."

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Can someone just answer this question and not leave comments not relevant to the question.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

To wish the non-Muslims with Merry Christmas or any of their religious festivals is haraam (forbidden), by consensus of the ulama (ijma’), as Ibn al-Qayyim, may God have mercy on him, said: “Congratulating the kuffaar on the rituals that belong only to them is haraam by consensus, as is congratulating them on their festivals and fasts by saying “A happy festival to you” or “May you enjoy your festival”, and so on. If the one who says this has been saved from kufr, it is still forbidden. It is like congratulating someone for prostrating to the cross, or even worse than that. It is as great a sin as congratulating someone for drinking wine, or murdering someone, or having illicit sexual relations, and so on.

Many of those who have no respect for their religion fall into this error; they do not realize the offensiveness of their actions. Whoever congratulates a person for his disobedience or bid’ah or kufr exposes himself to the wrath and anger of God.”Congratulating the kuffaar on their religious festivals is haraam to the extent described by Ibn al-Qayyim because it implies that one accepts or approves of their rituals of kufr, even if one would not accept those things for oneself. But the Muslim should not accept the rituals of kufr or congratulate anyone else for them, because God does not accept any of that at all, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“If you disbelieve, then verily, God is not in need of you, He likes not disbelief for His slaves. And if you are grateful (by being believers), He is pleased therewith for you. . .”

“This day, I have perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion…”

So congratulating them is forbidden, whether they are one’s colleagues at work or otherwise.

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not festivals which are acceptable to God. These festivals are innovations in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islam, with which God sent Muhammad (P) to the whole of mankind.
    It is not permissible to wish non-Muslims during their festivals.

The non-Muslims display acts of Kufr during their festivals. To wish them in
    their festivals is a sign of complacency to Kufr.

and Allah Ta'ala Knows Best

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
    FATWA DEPT.
    Last edited by abulayl; 20-11-2009 at 11:17 PM.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by streetwalker View Post

If they greet us on the occasion of their festivals, we should not respond, because these are not our festivals, and because they are not festivals which are acceptable to God. These festivals are innovations in their religions, and even those which may have been prescribed formerly have been abrogated by the religion of Islam, with which God sent Muhammad (P) to the whole of mankind.
    Yeah, but non-muslims greet our festivals with Happy eid, even though it is against their own religion. My heart does not believe in Christmas, but I only do it to not give ill feelings to my non-muslim brother, especially if says happy eid to me during my holidays. Can you give a response to this?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Yeah, but non-muslims greet our festivals with Happy eid, even though it is against their own religion. My heart does not believe in Christmas, but I only do it to not give ill feelings to my non-muslim brother, especially if says happy eid to me during my holidays. Can you give a response to this?
    Ibn Taymiyah and his student the great scholar Ibn-ul-Qayyim, adopted stringent measures and restricted the permissibility of this issue and the participation of Muslims in the celebrations of non-Muslims. We adopt this same stance, advising Muslims not to celebrate the festivities of non-Muslims, whether mushriks or People of the Scripture, as we find some ignorant Muslims celebrating Christmas as they would normally celebrate `Eid Al-Fitr and Al-Adha, and maybe even more so. This is unlawful, as we Muslims have our unique festivities.

But we see no objection to congratulating others on their festivities if there is some relationship or fellowship link that deems positive social interaction and beautiful exchange a must according to our sublime and noble Islamic Shari`ah.

the proper way to give greetings during these festive seasons, is to make one's gesture general or seasonal, rather than relating to their specific religious celebrations. Thus, one would say, for example, "Seasons greetings," or "Happy New Year," or other general expressions, as our ulema explain.

Q) My work area is mostly of Christians but my manager is a Muslim. What he does is he gives gifts to everyone on Christmas including me. I told him not to but his argument was that to take it and consider it as an yearly gift, not as a Christmas gift. But still the only reason he is actually giving gifts is because it’s Christmas, no gifts are exchanged on eid and i dont want to seem rude so i give him a gift back too. So can we accept and exchange gifts or should I wisely refuse to take it

It is not permissible to celebrate or take part in any of the festivals of the non-Muslims. However, it is permissible to accept their gifts on such days as long as they are not impure or something prohibited by Shariah.

Fatawa Mahmoodiyah Vol.18 Pg.174/5 (Jami’ah Farooqiyah)
    Aapke masail aur Unka Hal Vol.1 Pg.67 (Maktabah Bayyinat)

In the context of the abovementioned, it will be permissible to accept the gift from your boss, especially when he is a Muslim and he is saying that it is a yearly gift.

It will also be permissible for you to give a gift back to him, as long as you do not make intention of celebrating Christmas, but just give it to keep the relationship.

However, you should also explain to your boss that if he is giving these gifts to celebrate Christmas or to honour the Christians, it will be regarded as a grave sin.

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Ml. Abu Yahya,
    Student Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
    Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah
    Last edited by The Fake Shaykh; 21-11-2009 at 06:29 AM.
    إملاء الخير خير من السكوت والسكوت خير من إملاء الشر

"Speaking what is good is better than silence, and silence is better than speaking evil."

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Yeah, but non-muslims greet our festivals with Happy eid, even though it is against their own religion.
    Well, its their problem you know.
    My heart does not believe in Christmas, but I only do it to not give ill feelings to my non-muslim brother, especially if says happy eid to me during my holidays. Can you give a response to this?
    You may say happy holiday.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Well I would like to say Merry Christmas to the Christians, not that I secretly celebrate it, but just to make them feel better. I feel that saying happy holidays is okay too. However, when a Christian man says merry christmas to me, it would seem rude when I just reply Happy Holidays.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Well I would like to say Merry Christmas to the Christians, not that I secretly celebrate it, but just to make them feel better. I feel that saying happy holidays is okay too. However, when a Christian man says merry christmas to me, it would seem rude when I just reply Happy Holidays.
    you are you more afraid of insulting?

the kafir or Allah?

which side would you rather err on?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by The Fake Shaykh View Post
    Ibn Taymiyah and his student the great scholar Ibn-ul-Qayyim, adopted stringent measures and restricted the permissibility of this issue and the participation of Muslims in the celebrations of non-Muslims. We adopt this same stance, advising Muslims not to celebrate the festivities of non-Muslims, whether mushriks or People of the Scripture, as we find some ignorant Muslims celebrating Christmas as they would normally celebrate `Eid Al-Fitr and Al-Adha, and maybe even more so. This is unlawful, as we Muslims have our unique festivities.

But we see no objection to congratulating others on their festivities if there is some relationship or fellowship link that deems positive social interaction and beautiful exchange a must according to our sublime and noble Islamic Shari`ah.

the proper way to give greetings during these festive seasons, is to make one's gesture general or seasonal, rather than relating to their specific religious celebrations. Thus, one would say, for example, "Seasons greetings," or "Happy New Year," or other general expressions, as our ulema explain.

Q) My work area is mostly of Christians but my manager is a Muslim. What he does is he gives gifts to everyone on Christmas including me. I told him not to but his argument was that to take it and consider it as an yearly gift, not as a Christmas gift. But still the only reason he is actually giving gifts is because it’s Christmas, no gifts are exchanged on eid and i dont want to seem rude so i give him a gift back too. So can we accept and exchange gifts or should I wisely refuse to take it

It is not permissible to celebrate or take part in any of the festivals of the non-Muslims. However, it is permissible to accept their gifts on such days as long as they are not impure or something prohibited by Shariah.

Fatawa Mahmoodiyah Vol.18 Pg.174/5 (Jami’ah Farooqiyah)
    Aapke masail aur Unka Hal Vol.1 Pg.67 (Maktabah Bayyinat)

In the context of the abovementioned, it will be permissible to accept the gift from your boss, especially when he is a Muslim and he is saying that it is a yearly gift.

It will also be permissible for you to give a gift back to him, as long as you do not make intention of celebrating Christmas, but just give it to keep the relationship.

However, you should also explain to your boss that if he is giving these gifts to celebrate Christmas or to honour the Christians, it will be regarded as a grave sin.

And Allah knows best

Wassalam

Ml. Abu Yahya,
    Student Darul Iftaa

Checked and Approved by:

Mufti Ebrahim Desai
    Darul Iftaa, Madrassah In'aamiyyah

what about the danger of such acts becoming common and then getting perverted to the point of actually taking part in their celebrations in the future generations?

bit like the prohibition of statues and pictures etc because of the danger it may lead to idol worshipping.