Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does the Quran say that Ishmael was sacrificed instead of Issac?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Does the Quran say that Ishmael was sacrificed instead of Issac?

When I read the Holy Quran, it does not say who Hazrat Ibrahim sacrificed. Yet, Muslim's believe that it was Ishmael who was sacrificed. Can you tell me why, as Muslims, we believe that instead of Issac, Ishmael was supposed to be sacrificed?

Madhhab
    None

Default Re: Does the Quran say that Ishmael was sacrificed instead of Issac?

Why would you believe it was Isaac(peace be upon him)?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Assalamu aliakum,

The Christians believe that Isaac alaihi salaam was the one about to be slaughtered. Obviously where this is mentioned specifically, that is an alteration. It says in the Bible itself that God ordered to Ibrahim alaihi salaam that his only begotten son should be sacrificed. The Christians also believe that Ismail alahi salaam was the elder son. Therefore if the only begotten son was ordered to be slaughtered he had to be the older one. So there is a contradiction in the Bible.

We believe what is mentioned in our sources. I believe it is clearly mentioned in the ahadith that Ismail alahi salaam was the one about to be slaughtered.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Is there any way you can give me a reason from the Holy Quran. The Holy Quran just says that the son of Ibrahim(A.S) was sacrificed, but it did not say which one. I have also heard that Ishmael(A.S) was sacrificed according to Islam, but the Quran itself does not give a name. So I just want to make sure that it was Ishmael(A.S), not Issac(A.S).

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by bladeknight View Post
    Is there any way you can give me a reason from the Holy Quran. The Holy Quran just says that the son of Ibrahim(A.S) was sacrificed, but it did not say which one. I have also heard that Ishmael(A.S) was sacrificed according to Islam, but the Quran itself does not give a name. So I just want to make sure that it was Ishmael(A.S), not Issac(A.S).
    According to Islam it is Ismaeel alaihi salaam. Even if you can't prove it from the Quran you can prove it from hadith. That should be sufficient.

Madhhab
    None

"O my Lord! Grant me a righteous (son)!"

So We gave him the good news of a boy ready to suffer and forbear.

Then, when (the son) reached (the age of) (serious) work with him, he said: "O my son! I see in vision that I offer thee in sacrifice: Now see what is thy view!" (The son) said: "O my father! Do as thou art commanded: thou will find me, if Allah so wills one practising Patience and Constancy!"

So when they had both submitted their wills (to Allah), and he had laid him prostrate on his forehead (for sacrifice),

We called out to him "O Abraham!

"Thou hast already fulfilled the vision!" - thus indeed do We reward those who do right.

For this was obviously a trial-

And We ransomed him with a momentous sacrifice:

And We left (this blessing) for him among generations (to come) in later times:

Peace be unto Abraham!

Thus indeed do We reward those who do right.

For he was one of our believing Servants.

Quran(37:100-111)

Both Muslim and Christian agree that Ismael(peace be upon him) was the first born, and so this story describes that event. In the very next verse the birth of the second son of Abraham(peace be upon him) is declared to be Isaac(peace be upon him).

And we gave him tidings of the birth of Isaac, a prophet of the righteous.

Quran (37:112)

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Salam alaikum

In addition to what Reckoning mentioned :
    When Ismail and Ishaaq (ahs) are mentioned together in the ayaat of the Quran, Ismail (as) is mentioned first.
    2:133 Were ye witnesses when death appeared before Jacob? Behold, he said to his sons: "What will ye worship after me?" They said: "We shall worship Thy Allah and the Allah of thy fathers, of Abraham, Isma'il and Isaac,- the one (True) Allah. To Him we bow (in Islam)."

2:140 Or do ye say that Abraham, Isma'il Isaac, Jacob and the Tribes were Jews or Christians? Say: Do ye know better than Allah. Ah! who is more unjust than those who conceal the testimony they have from Allah. but Allah is not unmindful of what ye do!

4:163 We have sent thee inspiration, as We sent it to Noah and the Messengers after him: we sent inspiration to Abraham, Isma'il, Isaac, Jacob and the Tribes, to Jesus, Job, Jonah, Aaron, and solomon, and to David We gave the Psalms.

14:39 "Praise be to Allah, Who hath granted unto me in old age Isma'il and Isaac: for truly my Lord is He, the Hearer of Prayer!

And Allah knows best.

Madhhab
    Don't know

Some said it was Isma'eel (). This was the opinion of Ibn 'Umar, Abu Hurayra, Al Hassan AL Basri, Sa'id Ibn Mussayib, Ar Rabi' ibn Anas, Muhammad ibn Ka'b Al-Qurazi, al Kalbi.

Others said it was Ishaaq (). This was the opinion of Ibn Mas'ud, Qataada, Masrooq, 'Ikrima, 'Ataa, Muqaatil, az Zuhri (tafseer ibn Katheer).

By the way his son () was going to be sacrificed.
    Last edited by bugmenot; 30-12-2009 at 01:24 PM.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

I think after reading the Holy Quran again today, I think you guys are right. It was Ishmael(A.S), not Issac(A.S). First in Surah 28, Ishmael(A.S) is mentioned then Issac(A.S) is mentioned. So this solves the problem. I have read that many people say that Ishmael(A.S) was also sacrificed instead of Issac(A.S) in the Bible too. Is this true?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Assalam O Alaikum.

bladeknight, it isnt necessary for it to be 'explicitly' mentioned in the Qur'an. Once during Hazrat Omar R.A. khilafat a jewish rabbi reverted to Islam. Hazrat Omar R.A. immediately called him and questioned him 'Who was to be sacrificed?' he answered 'It was Hazrat Ismael A.S. but we manipulated the story because, we did not want this honour(of being sacrificed for the sake of Allah) to be bestowed upon the ancestor of Prophet Muhammad PBUH'. It is a fact that the jews and christians were from the progeny of Hazrat Isaac A.S. In his progeny there were many prophets. The jews were expecting the last and final Messenger of Allah will also come in their land. But, they were shocked to realise Prophet Muhammad PBUH arrived in the people whom they already disliked and He is the only Messenger of Allah in Hazrat Ismael A.S. progeny. Therefore, they made alterations to their books, wrote stories and this issue came up 'Who was to be sacrificed?'. It was Hazrat Ismael A.S. and we Muslims have definitive and substantial proof for it. The above case is an example.

Hope this helps.

Ma3assalama.