The French parliamentary report on the wearing of niqab and burqa in France is now online.
The report estimates there are 1,900 niqabis in France, of which:
- 50% are under age 30
- 90% are under 40
- 66% are French citizens, half of which are 2nd and 3rd generation French
- 25% are converts to Islam
- 41% are Salafis
The report also:
- repeats the myth that the niqab is a non-Islamic practice
- attempts to study interpretations and evidences of niqab
- suggests the wearing of niqab points towards identity issues and is a sign of radical movements
- admits many young women wear the niqab by choice, primarily for two reasons: “the search for purity in practice of a more austere worship” and secondly “to create distance with a society considered to be perverted.”
There’s also an entire section on Salafism.
READ MORE at http://sikander.ca/2010/01/27/wearin...st-up-to-2200/