Thread: What is the wisdom behind the prohibition of marrying two sisters?

Banned
    Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default What is the wisdom behind the prohibition of marrying two sisters?

Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

What is the wisdom behind the prohibition of marrying to sisters?

(Here "sisters" does refer to two women who share the same parents, it does NOT refer to the "sister in Islam" meaning.)

Of course as Muslims we submit to the order of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala, but I am curious about this ruling's wisdom. So, if someone could share a scholarly explanation I would be very thankful for that.

Jazak Allahu khayran.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: What is the wisdom behind the prohibition of marrying two sisters?

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Faruqi View Post

What is the wisdom behind the prohibition of marrying to sisters?

(Here "sisters" does refer to two women who share the same parents, it does NOT refer to the "sister in Islam" meaning.)

Of course as Muslims we submit to the order of Allah subhanahu wa ta'ala, but I am curious about this ruling's wisdom. So, if someone could share a scholarly explanation I would be very thankful for that.

Jazak Allahu khayran.
    Assalamu aliakum wa rahmatuAllahi wa barakatuh,

The real principle is that a man may not marry two women at the same time who are related in such a close way that if from among those two women one was to be a man then those two individuals would not be able to get married due to the clear prohibitions in the Qur'an. So this would include marrying a woman and her aunt at the same time because a man cannot marry his aunt.

[Another way to look at in my personal opinion (I could be wrong) is to assume that a husband and wife becomes one unit after marriage - and therefore any relationship to the husband who the husband cannot marry will be extended to the wife's side as well. So a man cannot marry his sister and so in the same way as long as he is married to a certain woman he cannot marry her sister. A man cannot marry his aunt and so as long as he is married to a certain woman he cannot marry her aunt].

However the prohibition of not being able to marry a previous wife's mother or daughter will remain whether or not a man divorced his wife. This is because of the concept of hurume musahharaat - which is another issue.

Moulana Thanwi says that the wisdom behind it is that the jealousy between the two wives may lead to a breakdown of close relationships between them to a level that is below what should be between close relatives. Moulana Thanwi has a book called "The Wisdom Behind the Commands of Islam" and that's where I found this wisdom. However this is actually proven from hadith and he even quotes the hadith in the book.

Banned
    Madhhab
    Hanafi

Jazak Allahu khayran brother.

At first I had problems understanding the first explanation but after reading yours in brackets the first one did become clear too I think.

May Allah protect and guide you. Amin.

Wassalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Faruqi View Post

Jazak Allahu khayran brother.

At first I had problems understanding the first explanation but after reading yours in brackets the first one did become clear too I think.

May Allah protect and guide you. Amin.

Wassalamu alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh.
    Assalamu aliakum,

Don't worry, it took me a couple of months to understand it.