Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WHat it means to be a deobandi?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: WHat it means to be a deobandi?

Sidi Saqfu, Ahl as-Sunnah encompasses more than 1 Maslak...

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by suleimanibnsalim View Post
    very good point.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by suleimanibnsalim View Post
    The scholars of Deoband never call people towards "Deobandism". It's mostly a few laypeople who develop such tendencies due to their lack of understanding of basic issues.

Ahl al-Sunnah is 'am (general) while Deoband is khas (specific). Every Deobandi is from Ahl al-Sunnah while not everyone from Ahl al-Sunnah is a Deobandi.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by al-Kankohi View Post
    The scholars of Deoband never call people towards "Deobandism". It's mostly a few laypeople who develop such tendencies due to their lack of understanding of basic issues.

Ahl al-Sunnah is 'am (general) while Deoband is khas (specific). Every Deobandi is from Ahl al-Sunnah while not everyone from Ahl al-Sunnah is a Deobandi.

Well said.
    It's a shame people consider "Deobandism" a sort of sect or something. Weren't there things like "the Ulama of Koofa", "the Ulama of Basra", "the Ulama of Shaam" etc in the past. So now "Ulama of Deoband" doesn't make it a separate sect, it just shows the success of Darul Uloom Deoband and the great amounts of Ulama who came from there or are affiliated to it, just like Koofa and Basrah in the past.

Another interesting thng is that if you look at those sects in Islam like Ahle Hadeeth, Salafis and Barelwis that oppose the Ulama of Deoband the most, you'll notice that they were all formed to be a separate sect in opposition to other Muslims (espacially barelwis, hence it seems some of them consider it more important to declare the Ulama of Deoband kafir than to call others to Islam). Maybe in the case of salafis the intention at least was good (eradicating bid'ah), but it doesn't seem so with the Barelwis.

On the other hand you have the Ulama of Deoband who were formed in opposition to the oppressive British empire, the enemies of the Muslims, and in defence of the Muslim Ummah and in order to unite it.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Default Re: WHat it means to be a deobandi

Quote Originally Posted by saqfu View Post
    dear david if u r truly absolutely 100% sincere in seeking the truth then there is no reason why u would not in the end become a deobandi
    the above statement is incorrect in so many ways it somehow implies partisanship subhanalah

Deobandis are no sect they are nothing more than a group of Hanafi scholars that made a madrasa system that has had a great deal of success may allah reward them.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

From reading that artiicle it appears that in order to be considered a deobandi, you must attend the one of the Dar ul Ulloom acadamies? am I right?

and this line: "No employee or student of Darul Uloom shall be permitted to attend any such society, institution or function the attendance where of may be injurious to the track or interest of the Darul Uloom.'

Does this mean deobandi students and employees can not attend say a Hadra of Sheikh Nuhs? since (to my understanding) Deobandis disagree with the permissability of the Hadra.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Deobandis disagree with the permissibility of the Hadra? Do you have any source for that... It might not be practiced by the Deobandi Ulema, but impermissible?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by MujahidAbdullah View Post

From reading that artiicle it appears that in order to be considered a deobandi, you must attend the one of the Dar ul Ulloom acadamies? am I right?
    What do you mean "to be considered a deobandi"? The term Deobandi, as has been mentioned numerous times on SF, is just used to differentiate from the other deviant sects in the subcontinent, but none of the great Ulama of Deoband used to use it so much. In fact they discouraged using the term Deobandi for themselves.

Please can you point out the parts of the article that made you think so. Anyway the answer to the question you asked is obvioulsy no, because that would mean only a student or an alim is a deobandi, how about the millions of people who follow the track of the Ulama of Deoband. When people usualy use the term deobandi they obviously mean that they follow the alims who follow the maslak of the Ulama-e-Deoband.

My english is poor, and i dont really know express how to explain my point, so forgive me.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by a_muslim View Post
    What do you mean "to be considered a deobandi"? The term Deobandi, as has been mentioned numerous times on SF, is just used to differentiate from the other deviant sects in the subcontinent, but none of the great Ulama of Deoband used to use it so much. In fact they discouraged using the term Deobandi for themselves.

Please can you point out the parts of the article that made you think so. Anyway the answer to the question you asked is obvioulsy no, because that would mean only a student or an alim is a deobandi, how about the millions of people who follow the track of the Ulama of Deoband. When people usualy use the term deobandi they obviously mean that they follow the alims who follow the maslak of the Ulama-e-Deoband.

My english is poor, and i dont really know express how to explain my point, so forgive me.
    That post is kinda old, and now I cant remeber what I was thunking when I wrote it.

I know some Deobandi Ulema say loud dhikr is not permissable, but others ay its mustahab.

And I think some deobandi Ulema forbid the hadra specificly on the basis that they consider it to be dancing, so they forbid it on a hanafi fiqh tip, but other hanafi Ulema have said its ok.

Honestly, I dont know what I was talking about in that post.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

The article has been written in very difficult English.
    Was it originally written in another language and later translated?
    Can someone do an easier translation?