Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 36

Thread: Marriage in Muharram/saffar ?

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Posts
    279

    Unhappy Marriage in Muharram/saffar ?



    Is there ANY prohibition regarding marriage to take place in the sacred month
    of Muharram ? ...
    I was planning to fly back and get my nikah done during the Christmas vacations
    but i have just been told that i can't (!) since muharram is starting in the 1st week of
    December. Now this is major setback as i have to renew my flight bookings and replan the whole thing
    I think i read somewhere that the our Prophet (SAW) married one of our mothers (Umme salmah ?) in muharram ... can anyone here confirm this ?
    I had an idea that usually shia hold such practices ... but there is no shia even in my extended family ... please help me i really need some evidence before i can confront them about this
    and what about safar ? didn't Hazrat Aisha (ra) married the prophet (SAW) in safar ?

    Can anyone please clarify all this ... ? i really need some help

    On the authority if Hazrat Abu Hurairah (RA) ; The Rasool-ullah (SAW) said :

    " Part of someone's being a good muslim is his leaving alone that which does not concern him."

    (Tirmidhi)

    “If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there.” LC


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Posts
    6,230

    Default Re: Marriage in Muharram/saffar ?

    Quote Originally Posted by nuke View Post


    Is there ANY prohibition regarding marriage to take place in the sacred month
    of Muharram ? ...
    I was planning to fly back and get my nikah done during the Christmas vacations
    but i have just been told that i can't (!) since muharram is starting in the 1st week of
    December. Now this is major setback as i have to renew my flight bookings and replan the whole thing
    I think i read somewhere that the our Prophet (SAW) married one of our mothers (Umme salmah ?) in muharram ... can anyone here confirm this ?
    I had an idea that usually shia hold such practices ... but there is no shia even in my extended family ... please help me i really need some evidence before i can confront them about this
    and what about safar ? didn't Hazrat Aisha (ra) married the prophet (SAW) in safar ?

    Can anyone please clarify all this ... ? i really need some help



    It is absolutely permissible. we can do marriage in any month


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Gender
    Sister
    Madhhab
    Shi'ite
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Marriage in Muharram/saffar ?

    Quote Originally Posted by nuke View Post


    Is there ANY prohibition regarding marriage to take place in the sacred month
    of Muharram ? ...
    I was planning to fly back and get my nikah done during the Christmas vacations
    but i have just been told that i can't (!) since muharram is starting in the 1st week of
    December. Now this is major setback as i have to renew my flight bookings and replan the whole thing
    I think i read somewhere that the our Prophet (SAW) married one of our mothers (Umme salmah ?) in muharram ... can anyone here confirm this ?
    I had an idea that usually shia hold such practices ... but there is no shia even in my extended family ... please help me i really need some evidence before i can confront them about this
    and what about safar ? didn't Hazrat Aisha (ra) married the prophet (SAW) in safar ?

    Can anyone please clarify all this ... ? i really need some help

    it is usually seen that if anyone in ones family dies,there is no fuction or celebration.he was a my family.so i will never do it.
    however as our sunni brother do not regard as imam hussain slaughter any important and find it a happy occasion. it is like other days of the year.you can marry.there is no problem.
    safar is also ok.


  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Shafi'i
    Posts
    666

    Default Re: Marriage in Muharram/saffar ?

    Quote Originally Posted by aiman View Post
    however as our sunni brother do not regard as imam hussain slaughter any important and find it a happy occasion.
    .


    We do not find it a happy occasion as you have accused us of. There is at least one big personality who has died in every month. So by your argument, dont marry in any month and do not get any of your family to marry in any of the month as well.


  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Gender
    Sister
    Madhhab
    Shi'ite
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Marriage in Muharram/saffar ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Dajanaa View Post


    We do not find it a happy occasion as you have accused us of. There is at least one big personality who has died in every month. So by your argument, dont marry in any month and do not get any of your family to marry in any of the month as well.
    good to know that it is not a happy occasion for you as well.but i have seen people really celebrating that day.
    regarding particular as imp depends on whom you think as important and a person who change your life.for example, we will not celebrate on the day our rasoolallah left this world.
    as for me, he is my fore father.therefore,very sad occasion.


  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Posts
    6,230

    Default Re: Marriage in Muharram/saffar ?

    Quote Originally Posted by aiman View Post
    good to know that it is not a happy occasion for you as well.but i have seen people really celebrating that day.
    regarding particular as imp depends on whom you think as important and a person who change your life.for example, we will not celebrate on the day our rasoolallah left this world.
    as for me, he is my fore father.therefore,very sad occasion.
    Islam teaches us to concentrate on productive things. That is why we are not allowed to mourn on death of some one for more than 3 days. If husband dies, then wife is allowed to mourn for 4 months, after that she can also marry another person and get along with her new life

    Regards


  7. #7
    Senior Member Intrepid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,039

    Default Re: Marriage in Muharram/saffar ?

    Brother nuke looks like your family has been corrupted with shia cultural beliefs, but its hardly surprising as most of Pakistan is adulterated with some form of kuffar beliefs whether they be hindu or shia.
    What is destined will reach you, even if it be underneath two mountains. What is not destined, will not reach you, even if it be between your two lips


  8. #8
    Senior Member Aseatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Shafi'i
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    803

    Default Re: Marriage in Muharram/saffar ?

    The date 10 Muharram also had many good things going on in it, including the day Nuh' ship landed after the Flood, the destruction of Fir'aun's army in the sea, and Ibrahim a.s. was saved from burning, and Yunus a.s. came out from the Great Fish. It is these things that Sunnis celebrate, by fasting.


  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Gender
    Sister
    Madhhab
    Shi'ite
    Posts
    123

    Default Re: Marriage in Muharram/saffar ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Aseatic View Post
    The date 10 Muharram also had many good things going on in it, including the day Nuh' ship landed after the Flood, the destruction of Fir'aun's army in the sea, and Ibrahim a.s. was saved from burning, and Yunus a.s. came out from the Great Fish. It is these things that Sunnis celebrate, by fasting.
    salam brother!
    moharram has its background whose elaborate details have been given by Muslim historians and I need not cite them here. Briefly, it may be said that Imam Husayn's revolt, staged against the tyranny, injustice, and repression of the regime and torture and execution of pious Muslims, which violated the Islamic concept of a just Islamic polity and society, was to uphold the ideals and values of Islam propounded in the Qur'an and the traditions of the Prophet (S), to rescue the higher human values, moral, social, political and spiritual, and to preserve the true spirit of Islam. It was basically aimed by the martyred Imam ('a) to rescue Islam as the message of the last Prophet, a message that had to endure, not only in the hearts and spirits of saints but on the plane of society, and he achieved his purpose most completely. The episode of Karbala' became the everlasting stage on which, more than anything else, the great spirit of an Imam of the Ahl al-Bayt was put for eternal display, not in mere words or traditions recorded in books, but against the background of the greatest tragedy in human history and scenes of love and loyalty, bravery and sacrifice, nobility and high spirituality, blood and battle, and also those of treachery and betrayal, human abasement and wretchedness, perversity and depravity.karbala is also a reminder as to how women and children of our rasoolallah house were humiliated and tortured by the yazeeds army.
    so, i think not even shias but muslims at large must mourn his death.
    imam hussain's tragedy uncovers the dark acts of ummayads.is this the reason to avoide it by our sunni brothers?i dont know.i am just asking if someone can clearify
    for me, its more important as he is my family.or rather i am from his family.


  10. #10
    Moderator sudoku's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Gender
    Sister
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Location
    بين خوف و رجاء
    Posts
    5,432

    Default Re: Marriage in Muharram/saffar ?

    Quote Originally Posted by aiman View Post
    salam brother!

    for me, its more important as he is my family.or rather i am from his family.


    The importance shouldn't make a difference whether you're from his family or not.

    Anyways, this thread is way off topic.

    Bottom line is that it is perfectly permissible to marry in any month. In fact Rasulullah married in the month of Safar.
    Lost in an ocean of doubt and confusion am I
    Seeking Your burning beacon light
    ~ Heart Song, Talib al Habib


Similar Threads

  1. When is the 10th of Muharram ?
    By Peacenik in forum General Islam
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 31-12-2011, 12:46 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 30-12-2010, 12:45 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-12-2010, 03:37 PM
  4. Muharram
    By SomeGuySeekingKnowledge in forum General Islam
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 26-01-2007, 03:55 AM
  5. Muharram Q
    By umm_madina in forum General Islam
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 25-01-2007, 04:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •