Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do Muslims HAVE to eat meat? Is vegetarianism accepted in Islam?

Madhhab
    Not Muslim

Default Do Muslims HAVE to eat meat? Is vegetarianism accepted in Islam?

I'm coming quite close to accepting Islam... but I'm a vegetarian. I strongly support animal rights.
    I live in quite an Islamic-populated community, and I know of not one vegetarian Muslim. Are they just uncommon, or is vegetarianism looked down upon/haram in Islam?
    Some Muslims have told me that it is a must to eat meat, and that it's a sin if you don't.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Do Muslims HAVE to eat meat? Is vegetarianism accepted in Islam?

Quote Originally Posted by Sofia483 View Post
    I'm coming quite close to accepting Islam... but I'm a vegetarian. I strongly support animal rights.
    I live in quite an Islamic-populated community, and I know of not one vegetarian Muslim. Are they just uncommon, or is vegetarianism looked down upon/haram in Islam?
    Some Muslims have told me that it is a must to eat meat, and that it's a sin if you don't.
    To abstain from meat in Islam is permisable as long as you dont consider the consumption of meat to be haraam - During the time of rasoolullah the Muslims were basicly semi-vegetarian - meaning they only ate meat occasionaly, this was because meat was an expensive luxory. After the conquest of more fertile lands like Syria and Iraq, the Muslim average wealth increased, and thus meat became easier to eat. This actually was looked at as a problem by Umar(RA) - Sayyidina Umar(Ra) says, 'Beware of meat, because it has an addiction like the addiction of wine.' And the other hadith in the Muwatta—there is a chapter called 'Bab al-Laham,' the chapter of laham, the chapter of meat. Both are from Sayyidina Umar. And Umar, during his khilafa, prohibited people from eating meat two days in a row. He only allowed them to eat it every other day. And the khalifa has that right to do that. He did not let people eat meat every day he saw one man eating meat every day, and he said to him, 'Every time you get hungry you go out and buy meat? Right? In other words, every time your nafs wants meat, you go out and buy it?' He said, 'Yeah, Amir al-Mumineen, ana qaram,' which in Arabic, 'qaram' means 'I love meat'—he's a carnivore, he loves meat. And Sayyidina Umar said, 'It would be better for you to roll up your tummy a little bit so that other people can eat.'

Other Senior Sahabi have made simalr remarks about not eating meat in excess (much like the west is acustomed to today) - but Sayadina Ali (KW) also is reported to have said that there is a blessing in eating meat - and not completely abstaining from it. Allah has made these creatures halal for us to consume, and who are we to deny the blessings which Allah has bestowed upon us.

Madhhab
    None

Thumbs up Re: Do Muslims HAVE to eat meat? Is vegetarianism accepted in Islam?

Salamualaikum
    I live in Detroit, Michigan (not far from Canada) and I'm a vegetarian. It was one of the best decision I made for my life. I went from a size 12 to a size 8, I have way more energy and I'm cleaning out system. I'm not saying meat is haram, but cutting it out of my diet was the best thing I did for my body, mind, and spirit!
    This coming from a born and raised practicing Muslimah.

Vegetarian is the way to go!
    And the Firmament has He raised high, and He has set up the Balance (of Justice), In order that ye may not transgress (due) balance. So establish weight with justice and fall not short in the balance.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

It's not a sin to NOT eat meat, but you cannot be a Muslim if you think that eating meat and slaughtering animals islamically is a cruel thing. Allah has bestowed us with angular, molar, even saber teeth, so our nature is to be omnivorus. The thing about Animal Cruelty and how they are fed in the farms, how they are killed etc. is agreeable, but you should also read about Islamic way of Slaughter. In Islam, it's even not permissible to slaughter one animal in front of the other!!! Plus, the Dhabihah ( Slaughter ) method of Islam is the most painless of any other means.

Besides that, the Prophet SallAllahu alaihi wasallam, once made a pact that He will never use honey again, upon that Surah Tahreem was revealed, prohibiting the Muslims from deeming anything that Allah has made permissible, to even consider, or act like it's impermissible for them.

That being said, I would suggest you do not become a complete vegetarian, but just to break the "ritual" , every once in a while, like once every one or two months, have some halaal meat, even chicken ( ) . May Allah guide us all to the right path... Aameen
    پڑھ پڑھ عالم فاضل ہویا کدے اپنے آپ نوں پڑھیا نہیں
    جا جا وَڑدا مندرمسیتی کدی نفس اپنے وچ وَڑیا ای نہیں

لڑدا ایں روز شیطان نال کدی نفس اپڑے نال توں لڑیا ای نہیں
    بلھے شاہ اسمانی اُڈدیاں پھَڑدا ایں جہڑا گھر بیٹھا اونوں پھڑیا ای نہیں

بُھلےؔ شاہؔ

Madhhab
    Hanafi

OP may Allah s.w.t guide you into Islam easily, and make your life filled with Tawah, blessings and happiness Ameen.

The thing is sister, if we all stopped eating meat, then the animals would multiply and keep mulitplying till there would be too many to take care of <sounds cruel I know> looking at it from a vegetarein perspective, but we are not here, to lok at things through the "emotions of human nataure" we are here to live by the Quran and Sunnah.

Have a look at what Dr.Zakir Naik said, I like the explanation on this, as it comes across as making sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TRAThCGDKA

Madhhab
    Not Muslim

Thankyou all for your answers.

Madhhab
    Don't know

Hello,

I wanted to add some narrations to show that Islam upholds animal rights. There are two stories that the Prophet Muhammad PBUH told us: One of a woman who would be punished in Hell by God for intentionally allowing her cat to die by not feeding it. The other story is of a man who would be rewarded with Paradise for giving water to a thirsty dog.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Muslim-Dietary-Requirment
    http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...rment&p=511749

Islam and Environment
    http://www.ifees.org/
    ----------------------------------------------
    My Comment:
    One does not have to eat meat. There is no compulsion in deen. however to have a balance and healthy diet is what is important as long as it is within the limit of Shariah.
    Everything has a purpose. All have rights and we human are merely custodian and we are accountable as how we utilise Allah's creation. Shariah sets limit. It is a different matter if people ignore it for their own selfish reason.
    Allahulam

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by ILM_Sika View Post

The thing is sister, if we all stopped eating meat, then the animals would multiply and keep mulitplying till there would be too many to take care of <sounds cruel I know>

It somehow made me laugh when I read that sentence, but it sounds rational. Moreover, the reverse can also be true, animals - or anything for that matter - which are not in use tend to face extinction. We see a rapid decline in the number of camels, horses or donkeys because they have ceased to be of transportation use....whereas its common knowledge that there was a period, my own childhood 15-20 years ago when finding donkeys and mules wasnt uncommon, today it is...!

So, I believe eating meat, apart from creating a huge source of employment for millions of shepherds, butchers and cattle-rearers, is only going to maintain ecological balance and protect the race from extinction, or atleast from becoming useless and unwanted! ( believe me - an inherent, instant thought that I get when I see a horse is that its more of an antique piece than of any value, oh I feel bad when I am saying this) !

I have tried to be logical and not islamic here...enough of respected ulema-e-ikraam around here to take that up!

Madhhab
    Hanafi

...soemone told me that the "mad cow disease" is found in cows in cattle that are old....meaning that if they were slaughtered at a proper age they would not have had that disease!!!