Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: ANSWERED: what is Ismul-a'zam?

  1. #1
    Senior Member muslim forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Sister
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Location
    Slough, UK
    Posts
    1,706

    Default what is Ismul-a'zam?

    salaam

    can someone please tell me what Ismul-a'zam is?

    jazakAllah

    wasalaam
    If a person wants to measure his nearness to Allah, he should apply the following formula given by Shaykh Gangohi:

    ďA personís nearness to Allah is proportional to his distance from his own ego and self [nafs].Ē


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Maliki
    Location
    Dar al-Islam
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muslim forever
    salaam

    can someone please tell me what Ismul-a'zam is?

    jazakAllah

    wasalaam

    the 99 names of Allah? where did see it written? usually it refers to the 99 names.


  3. #3
    Senior Member muslim forever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Gender
    Sister
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Location
    Slough, UK
    Posts
    1,706

    Default

    i saw it in 'The prophets Wazaif' book (Fisabilillah Publications)

    i just wanted to know a bit more about. in this book it didn't say anything about 99 names of Allah.

    It states that by reciting the ayah LA ILAHA ILLA ANTA SUBHANAKA INNI KUNTU MINAZ ZALIMIN, in the time of difficulty and trouble Allah swt willing, one gets assured relief. There maybe ISMUL_AZAM hidden in it......

    So what does that Ismul zam mean?

    was salaam.
    If a person wants to measure his nearness to Allah, he should apply the following formula given by Shaykh Gangohi:

    ďA personís nearness to Allah is proportional to his distance from his own ego and self [nafs].Ē


  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Maliki
    Location
    Dar al-Islam
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by muslim forever
    i saw it in 'The prophets Wazaif' book (Fisabilillah Publications)

    i just wanted to know a bit more about. in this book it didn't say anything about 99 names of Allah.

    It states that by reciting the ayah LA ILAHA ILLA ANTA SUBHANAKA INNI KUNTU MINAZ ZALIMIN, in the time of difficulty and trouble Allah swt willing, one gets assured relief. There maybe ISMUL_AZAM hidden in it......

    So what does that Ismul zam mean?

    was salaam.
    literally, it means 'the great name'


  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Don't know
    Posts
    1,040

    Default

    no no.. ismul a'zam (or ismul mufrad) does NOT refer to the 99 names... it refers to the "greatest" name of Allah.... one should listen to Sheikh Nuh's talk on bidah found here .... he makes a reference to the "ismul a'zam" in it...


  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Maliki
    Location
    Dar al-Islam
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ahsanirfan
    no no.. ismul a'zam (or ismul mufrad) does NOT refer to the 99 names... it refers to the "greatest" name of Allah.... one should listen to Sheikh Nuh's talk on bidah found here .... he makes a reference to the "ismul a'zam" in it...

    jzk for correction..


  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Posts
    706

    Default

    according to sh zulfiqar the ismul azam is the actual name

    "Allah"

    Sorry no proofs etc, I heard him say this in his lecture.




  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Don't know
    Posts
    1,040

    Default

    yes that is what it is... but in the sufi sense.. it comes with a whole package not necessarily understood by someone who simply says the word "Allah"


  9. #9
    Scholar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Posts
    2,892

    Default



    Scholars say that ismul-`azam is indeed the word "Allah." However, to benefit from its powerful effect, one must be in a certain state of conviction and belief that doesn't come easily.

    Allah knows best.

    Wassalam,
    Ziad


Similar Threads

  1. 2 New Books by Zam Zam Publishers - Deluxe With Box
    By Seeker-of-Knowledge in forum General Islam
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-06-2011, 02:57 PM
  2. Design a logo competition - for Zam Zam Academy
    By daywalk3r in forum General Islam
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14-10-2010, 07:33 PM
  3. New Zam Zam Academy website now live
    By daywalk3r in forum Islamic Media Reviews
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-10-2010, 07:20 PM
  4. Reading Quran over Zam Zam Water
    By algouge in forum General Islam
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 16-02-2008, 03:18 PM
  5. Ismul-A'zam
    By Slave_of_ Allah in forum Archives
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-07-2006, 09:26 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •