Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dogs in hadith and Quran

Madhhab
    None

Default Dogs in hadith and Quran

I would like to pose a question to members regarding dogs in Islam. I have my own ideas on this but I would like to know your opinion:

As Muslims we are supposed to only follow hadith that does not contradict the Quran. There is nothing in the Quran to suggest that dogs are najis or shouldn't be kept as pets or anything else negative.

So my question is how do you explain the fact that so many Muslims follow the hadith over the Quran?

Thanks,
    Salma

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Dogs in hadith and Quran

Quote Originally Posted by salma95 View Post
    i would like to pose a question to members regarding dogs in islam. I have my own ideas on this but i would like to know your opinion:

As muslims we are supposed to only follow hadith that does not contradict the quran. There is nothing in the quran to suggest that dogs are najis or shouldn't be kept as pets or anything else negative.

So my question is how do you explain the fact that so many muslims follow the hadith over the quran?

Thanks,
    salma
    no ur thinking is bad we should follow quran and all hadiths that alims tell us
    WAQAS MAHMOOD

Madhhab
    None

Quote Originally Posted by waqasmahmahmood View Post
    no ur thinking is bad we should follow quran and all hadiths that alims tell us
    Just quickly before I reply to Nomadic's post: I think you have misunderstood me. I was not asking you whether you think we should follow Quran and not hadith. What I asked was with regard to the issue of dogs, since Quran says nothing against them, why do we follow hadith when it's in 'contradiction' to Quran. So maybe you could post on that instead. Thanks.

Madhhab
    None

Quote Originally Posted by Nomadic View Post
    There are various dimension to your question. 1. Shari principles (usul of Quran and Usul of hadith and other sources).
    Not all hadith is Sunnah but all sunnah are ellucidated in hadith. The entire life system is not explictly in Quran or hadith hence shariah tools are used to bring it inline with the Quran and Sunnah. This is the reason we are commanded to seek answer from the learned people who are trained and reputed in the respective islamic sciences.
    It may be a good idea for you to read up on the sciences of Hadith and Quran before you try to find the answers to start off with.
    http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=2610&CATE=120
    http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.asp?HD=1&ID=1846

Allahualam
    Salaam Nomadic. Thanks for the links. Now perhaps someone could give me an answer to the question?

I assume you are not suggesting that we can believe hadith over what it tells us in Quran?

Thanks.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Salma95 View Post
    Just quickly before I reply to Nomadic's post: I think you have misunderstood me. I was not asking you whether you think we should follow Quran and not hadith. What I asked was with regard to the issue of dogs, since Quran says nothing against them, why do we follow hadith when it's in 'contradiction' to Quran. So maybe you could post on that instead. Thanks.
    The Quran says nothing about dogs, the hadith says dont keep them, How is that a contradiction?...the Quran says take what the Messenger gives you and leave what he stops you from?...It would have been a contradiction if the Quran was saying keep dogs and then there was the opposite in the hadith....even then it is not that simple, you gotta study the in depth meanings of the Quran and hadith...

Madhhab
    None

Quote Originally Posted by DepressedMuslim View Post
    The Quran says nothing about dogs, the hadith says dont keep them, How is that a contradiction?...the Quran says take what the Messenger gives you and leave what he stops you from?...It would have been a contradiction if the Quran was saying keep dogs and then there was the opposite in the hadith....even then it is not that simple, you gotta study the in depth meanings of the Quran and hadith...
    Ok. Maybe I misunderstand then. Is Quran the most important source of information? Are we to look to Quran for the final say? I thought we were but maybe I was wrong about that.

So even though dogs are fine according to Quran I guess that hadith trumps that. It just doesn't sound right to me though...to say that the book that Allah gave to us can be trumped by hadith later on.

I see what you are saying regarding "take what the messenger gives you and leave what he stops from you" - except that the Messenger didn't give us hadith in that he didn't say to write it down. People just decided to write it down over a hundred years after his death. So that is a little confusing.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Salma95 View Post
    Ok. Maybe I misunderstand then. Is Quran the most important source of information? Are we to look to Quran for the final say? I thought we were but maybe I was wrong about that.

So even though dogs are fine according to Quran I guess that hadith trumps that. It just doesn't sound right to me though...to say that the book that Allah gave to us can be trumped by hadith later on.

I see what you are saying regarding "take what the messenger gives you and leave what he stops from you" - except that the Messenger didn't give us hadith in that he didn't say to write it down. People just decided to write it down over a hundred years after his death. So that is a little confusing.
    ...you have shown your true colors, you are a denier of hadith/sunnah....its a typical arguement of the Quranists....I can post some arguments here but am not in the mood, the weather is beautiful and I wanna enjoy it instead of bickering with a Quranist...May Allah guide you...try to open your mind a bit

Madhhab
    Hanafi

The narration were it is mentioned that the people should not write down what he says was at a time when the revelation of the Quran was at an early stage, and thus there may have been confusion in the minds of some over what is the Quranic revelation and over what is non-Quranic revelation. However this was relaxed later on when the distinction was clear in the minds of the Sahabah.

Most importantly, that narration tells the Sahabah to relate what the Prophet (SAW) said so the whole anti-Hadith argument is moot in this point, since their only problem is not with writing down only, but with relating also.

Secondly, there are Ayahs in the Quran in which people have been compared to dogs in a negative light, so we cannot say that the Quran does not say anything negative about dogs.

Thirdly, the Quran never says "Dogs are not najis for you Oh Muslims" or something along those lines.... this is the imagination of the hadith deniers. Yes, if there was an explicit statement from the Quran saying this, then the issue would be different, but as the situation stands there is no even imagined contradiction between the Quran and the Ahadith.

Madhhab
    None

"However this was relaxed later on when the distinction was clear in the minds of the Sahabah. " - upon what authority was it relaxed later on pls?

Regarding the Quran not saying explicitly that dogs are najis it makes more sense to me that if Quran didn't say it then that is for a reason - because they are not najis.

The ayat you refer to is this: 7:176 Had We willed, We could have elevated him by it, but he stuck to the earth and he followed his wishful thinking. His example is like the dog; if you scold him he pants, and if you leave him he pants; such is the example of the people who deny Our signs. Relate the stories, perhaps they will think.

It doesn't really point to how we relate to dogs or suggest they might be dirty or anything.

So then the only thing to go on is the hadith in which all of sudden dogs become dirty. I'm sorry but I just don't understand the process of ignoring the Quran yet believing the hadith which tells things so differently. It's a very confusing view to take.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

I highly reccomend you sister to get the recording of the dars of Bukhari Shaykh Riyadh ul Haqq did on the subject of dogs it will clear many misconceptions people have about dogs.

http://www.islamicaudio.eu/

Lesson 287 Hadeeth 998

Jan 29th, 2011 by alkawthar

Lesson 287 of the Commentary of the Book of Transactions from al Tajrid al Sarih (The Abridged Saheeh al Bukhari) by Shaykh Abu Yusuf Riyadh ul Haq. This lesson covered hadeeth 998 and took place on Friday 7th January 2011 at Al Kawthar Academy, Leicester.

SUBJECTS COVERED HADEETH 998

This narration is from the son of Sayyiduna Abu Juhaifa رضى الله عنه.

Destroying the tools of cupping.

Why did Sayyiduna Abu Juhaifa رضى الله عنه order the destroying of the tools of cupping?

The medical practice of cupping.

Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم had cupping done.

The position that it is not permissible to charge for cupping.

The majority view regarding charging for cupping.

How cupping was seen traditionally.

A goodwill payment for cupping.

Selling and buying of dogs.

The culling of dogs during the time of Rasulullah صلى الله عليه وسلم.

The command for killing dogs did come to an end.

The history of the laws related to dogs.

Trained animals for hunting.

Conditions for using dogs for hunting.

Is keeping a dog haram?

Keeping a dog without necessity.

Can a person sell a dog?

What does a person do with a dog they don't want?

The ruling of the Hanafi ulama ruling on buying and selling dogs.

Is buying and selling cats permissible?

Imam Jafar at-Tahawi.

Is a dog pure or impure?

The saliva, sweat and tears of dogs.

Why should a utensil that is used by a dog be washed 7 times?

Showing kindness to dogs.

The ruling regarding preventing harm coming to a dog.

The ruling regarding giving water to a panting dog if you only have enough water to do wudhu.
    Verily, Allah and His angels shower blessings on the Prophet. O Believers! send blessings upon him and salute him with a worthy salutation". (Qur'aan - 33:56)

http://www.sabeel-travels.co.uk/