Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Ants in the drinking water

  1. #1
    Senior Member Aseatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Shafi'i
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    803

    Default Ants in the drinking water



    When my mother sees ants in the drinking water, she would throw the water away or take the ants out. I have also been taught (by religious teachers) it's a bad idea to drink water with ants in it, it makes you stupid or forgetful or something like that.

    But it's such a bother. The ants around here are crazy, they find a jug of water, even a kettle of hot water, and soon you find them swimming in it.

    Is there any basis for discarding water with ants in it? Or is it a superstition mistaken for religious practice?


  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Sister
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Posts
    67

    Default Re: Ants in the drinking water

    asalm,
    ya with ants you have to throw water ..what u thaught is true
    where as in case of flies our nabi sws..if a flies found in anything he use to dip it again and then throw it out..hence it became fit to use.
    jzkha


  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Location
    W.I.
    Posts
    1,044

    Default Re: Ants in the drinking water

    Assalamau Alaikum

    You must have some sweet water
    سبحانك لا علم لنا إلا ما علمتنا إنك أنت العليم الحكيم


  4. #4
    Senior Member alfatiha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Shafi'i
    Location
    سني فورم
    Posts
    1,874

    Default Re: Ants in the drinking water



    ants release formic acid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formic_acid

    1. Call bugbuster.
    2. You can put plastic plates under the table's legs and put oil in them. That will prevent ants from going to the table.
    3. Make sure nothing is connected to the table so that they (ants) won't go there through "the bridge".
    4. Cover the top so that no lizards (and their droppings) can go inside the jar.


  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Sister
    Madhhab
    Not Muslim
    Posts
    487

    Default Re: Ants in the drinking water

    Quote Originally Posted by Talib84 View Post
    Assalamau Alaikum

    You must have some sweet water
    I thought this also..... we never get ants in our water. Ours is not suitable even for human consumption.


    So, ants are not halal in Islam? What about other insects? Just curious. I do not eat bugs, but they eat them in places all over the globe. Chocolate covered ants, fried caterpillars, grasshoppers, grubs, etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by binte aadam View Post
    asalm,
    ya with ants you have to throw water ..what u thaught is true
    where as in case of flies our nabi sws..if a flies found in anything he use to dip it again and then throw it out..hence it became fit to use.
    jzkha
    So, flies are okay if in the water? Flies would gross me out more than ants, because flies carry excrement, bacteria, and are just disgusting.


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Posts
    37

    Default Re: Ants in the drinking water

    Assalamulikum,

    The hadith of Prophet Muhammad (saw) about the fly that one wing has venom and the other antedote .Now the scientists are actully using this method of making new antibiotics using fly. Check the article :-

    http://elcoran.multiply.com/journal/...he_fly_Hadith_


  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Gender
    Sister
    Madhhab
    Not Muslim
    Posts
    487

    Default Re: Ants in the drinking water

    Quote Originally Posted by Zainal View Post
    Assalamulikum,

    The hadith of Prophet Muhammad (saw) about the fly that one wing has venom and the other antedote .Now the scientists are actully using this method of making new antibiotics using fly. Check the article :-

    http://elcoran.multiply.com/journal/...he_fly_Hadith_
    I have seen that, but personally I still regard fies as disgusting and would not ever drink water if a fly was in it.

    Flies may have antibiotic type properties within them (and on them), but the fact remains that they do spread disease and illness also.


  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Hanafi
    Posts
    3,325

    Default Re: Ants in the drinking water

    Quote Originally Posted by PouringRain View Post
    I have seen that, but personally I still regard fies as disgusting and would not ever drink water if a fly was in it.

    Flies may have antibiotic type properties within them (and on them), but the fact remains that they do spread disease and illness also.


    I hope I along with every SF brother and sister in Islam get to see you proclaim Shahadah on this forum one day Inshallah....Ameen.


  9. #9
    Senior Member Aseatic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Shafi'i
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    803

    Default Re: Ants in the drinking water

    Quote Originally Posted by PouringRain View Post
    I thought this also..... we never get ants in our water. Ours is not suitable even for human consumption.


    So, ants are not halal in Islam? What about other insects? Just curious. I do not eat bugs, but they eat them in places all over the globe. Chocolate covered ants, fried caterpillars, grasshoppers, grubs, etc.



    So, flies are okay if in the water? Flies would gross me out more than ants, because flies carry excrement, bacteria, and are just disgusting.
    I heard from my brother that my late granny ate sago larvae when she was pregnant with my uncle. And my brother's mother in law also ate it when she was pregnant, there was a belief in the old days that the sago beetle larvae is nutritious and good for pregnant women.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sago_worm

    Apparently people here took the ruling that insect larvae in fruits is halal (if eaten accidentally? I'm not certain) and applied it to sago beetle larvae which live in sago trees.

    I'd like to try them if they are indeed halal!

    But back to the ants, I'd like some quotes from ulama regarding the matter?


  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Gender
    Brother
    Madhhab
    Shafi'i
    Posts
    924

    Default Re: Ants in the drinking water

    Quote Originally Posted by Aseatic View Post


    When my mother sees ants in the drinking water, she would throw the water away or take the ants out. I have also been taught (by religious teachers) it's a bad idea to drink water with ants in it, it makes you stupid or forgetful or something like that.

    But it's such a bother. The ants around here are crazy, they find a jug of water, even a kettle of hot water, and soon you find them swimming in it.

    Is there any basis for discarding water with ants in it? Or is it a superstition mistaken for religious practice?
    If the ants are alive they are considered pure.
    The shafi'i ruling on dead insects (i.e. animals without flowing blood in their bodies) is clear. They are excused and you can drink that water or use it for tahara if you want (unless the ants change the attributes of the water, such as its smell, taste or color). The issue of forgetfulness or stupidity is most likely without basis since itís never mentioned in the books of fiqh.
    However, with all this said, it would not be haram to pour out the water.
    Last edited by Abbe; 15-02-2011 at 08:39 AM.


Similar Threads

  1. Something about drinking water
    By fouady in forum General Islam
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 10:19 PM
  2. Shia's drinking water!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    By mohammedi in forum General Islam
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 22-06-2010, 05:37 AM
  3. Drinking WATER in Ramadan?
    By Sarah Mc in forum Ramadhan
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-09-2008, 06:18 AM
  4. Treating Sewage for Drinking Water
    By alfatiha in forum General Islam
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 12:08 PM
  5. Drinking water
    By Omar_Farouk in forum General Islam
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 12:36 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •