Thread: A turning point: "Pursuit of happiness," Sheikh Mukhtar retreat

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Thumbs up A turning point: "Pursuit of happiness," Sheikh Mukhtar retreat

"The Pursuit of Happiness" was the title of the first retreat I have attended for the Sheikh. It was a turning point and a life changing experience for me, after which I pledged to my Lord never to return to my heedless state. As I was before it living the day by day with no real aim, and my biggest worries being perhaps my looks, my friends, and my education. I claimed pertinence to Islam, but I did not sincerely testify it. Even my own worship was that of a routinic habit. My love to my lord was only by words, and in that life I continued transgressing against my self and my lord. The same lord whom after I have sinned Him, He called me to Him through the amazing experience of my first retreat. He has granted me moments of nearness to Him, as I raised my hands in sincere repentance. It was after that lecture for the first time I felt a taste of the true happiness of this life, and aimed to pursuit it.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Default Re: A turning point: "Pursuit of happiness," Sheikh Mukhtar retreat

Is this lecture available? I mean is it anywhere to be downloaded?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

SubhanAllah. I am glad that that retreat had such a beautiful and profound impact on you!

Concerning the topic...happiness...I was wondering if pursuing something because it makes you happy means that it is the right thing to do?

I know the answer seems like an obvious "no". However what if a person has been depressed for a while, finally discovered that a specific career route would bring them ultimate happiness...and now they are pursuing it. She is a sister who has always been advised to get married because she had no father or nearby mahram. However...this sister realized that in order to be happy for a potential spouse...she has to be happy herself...Has this sister chosen the right pursuit of happiness?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

This Saturday with the "funny" Sheikh - Yusuf Estes is in town!

www.muslimdreams.com

Looks like utopia in the picture!