Thread: Confused regarding the 7 different ways to recite Quran?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Confused regarding the 7 different ways to recite Quran?

Salam alaykum.

I have some questions regarding the valid ways according to Islam of how to recite Quran.i have read a bit on this, but these are my questions:

1. Among the differences is sometimes a vowel is changed in a word when reciting Quran in different ways. So if a word in the Quran reads as "salam" does this mean that the "s" or "l" or "m" can be changed to a different letter and this is valid? Is this ever valid for any word.in the Quran?

2. In the mushaf I have for example, all the letters are written of all the Divine Words of Quran. So do different recitational ways imply that the letters of the words in.Quran can be changed? What changes are not permissible? I would assume making any changes to non vowel letters is haram?

3. Due to the different ways of reciting Quran, does it mean that the order of letters of the words in the Quran can be changed? For example if the word 'salam' can be read as something else by moving around vowels or non vowels? Is this valid?

I dont think any of this stuff I mentioned is valid or corect. I ask because I am just trying to understand and not have some aqeedah problem on accident, without.any bad intention.

I would assume that for all the words in the Quran, saying a non vowel letter a different way than is written in mushaf is not allowed. I would also assume that recitational differences dont imply one can just move around.certain letters of.certain words in Quran.

I cannot ask anyone locally so I am asking you, my brothers and sisters. Please dont ignore the question and plz answer the questions. Allah will reward you greatly insha Allah.

Banned
    Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Confused regarding the 7 different ways to recite Quran?

well, in the starting phase, if any of the converted muslim start reading Quran, he/she will feel many difficulties while reading it,, but they must know that,,, there a lot of videos, and online teachers they can let them know, and undertand Quran well,,,

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Mugen View Post
    Salam alaykum.

I cannot ask anyone locally so I am asking you, my brothers and sisters. Please dont ignore the question and plz answer the questions. Allah will reward you greatly insha Allah.
    Wa Alaikim Salaam,

This will require little bit of typing so I will respond to you later tonight insha Allah from the point of view of a hadeeth.

For now understand that Qur'an was revealed on seven "Ahuruf". I will provide meaning of Ahruf later insha Allah with examples.

So all the modes of recitations that we know as mutawaatir were revealed by Allah S.W.T through angel Jibreel A.H on to Rasool Allah S.A.W and Rasool Allah S.A.W. recited all the modes to Sahbah. Furthermore for a Qiraa'at to be mutawaatir it must remain mutawaatir for 3 generations after demise of Rasool Allah S.A.W.

So the variations are not man made as he/she wishes. They are all from within the revelations. Mushaf at the time of Syedna Uthmaan R.A was written in such manner to encompass all the Qiraat within it. This is true I'jaaz of Qur'an.

More later insha Allah as time permits.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Here are two ahadeeth of Rasool Allah S.A.W regarding 7 ahruf. I will explain later what ahruf are. But know that 7 Ahruf is not equal to 7 Qiraa'at.

1) Abū Ya˘lā reports on the authority of Sayār ibn Salāmah who said: It has
    reached us that ˘Uthmān R.A said one day on the pulpit: I ask of Allah (to
    remind) any man who heard the Prophet S.A.W saying: The Qur`ān was
    revealed in seven ahruf, all of it is sufficient. When he stood up, (such a huge
    amount) stood with him which could not be counted. They (all) testified
    that the Messenger of Allah S.A.W said: The Qur`ān was revealed in seven ahruf,
    all of it is sufficient. ˘Uthmān R.A then stated: I (too) bear testimony with
    them.

2) It is reported on the authority of Ubayy ibn Ka˘b R.A who said: I was in the
    masjid when a man entered and performed salāh, reciting (in such a manner)
    which I was not familiar with. Then another entered and recited (in a
    manner) contrary to the first. When we terminated our salāh we all went to
    the Messenger of Allah S.A.W and I said: This individual entered the masjid and
    recited a qirā`ah (reading) which I was unfamiliar with. Another entered the
    masjid and recited (in a manner) contrary to his companion. The Messenger
    of Allah S.A.W then instructed them to recite and (thereafter) praised them. I felt
    within myself a doubt (concerning this message of the Prophet S.A.W) that I did
    not (even) feel in the time of ignorance. When the Messenger of Allah S.A.W saw
    what had encompassed me (regarding the doubt in his message) he hit me
    on my chest. I started sweating and it was (as if) I was looking at Allah S.A.W.
    He S.A.W then said to me: O Ubayy, it has been revealed to me: recite the
    Qur`ān in one harf (way). I requested that he make it easy upon my nation.
    He returned to me a second time and instructed me: recite (the Qur`ān) in
    two harfs. I again requested that he makes it easy for my nation. He returned
    a third time and ordered me: recite the Qur`ān in seven harfs.

From Sahīh Muslim:32

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Definition of Ilm ul Qir'aat (7 and 10 readings of Qur'an) according to kitaab Budoor Zahiraah by عبد الفتاح القاضي

Note that it is a Fard e kifaayah to learn and teach this science.

مقدمة
    " في مبادئ علم القراءات "

تعريفه : هو علم يعرف به كيفية النطق بالكلمات القرآنية ، وطريق أدائها اتفاقا واختلافا مع عزو كل وجه لناقله .

موضوعه : كلمات القرآن من حيث أحوال النطق بها ، وكيفية أدائها .

ثمرته وفائدته : العصمة من الخطأ في النطق بالكلمات القرآنية ، وصيانتها عن التحريف والتغيير ، والعلم بما يقرأ به كل من أئمة القراءة ، والتمييز بين ما يقرأ به وما لا يقرأ به .

فضله : أنه من أشرف العلوم الشرعية ، أو هو أشرفها لشدة تعلقه بأشرف كتاب سماوي منزل .

نسبته إلى غيره من العلوم : التباين .

واضعه : أئمة القراءة ، وقيل : أبو عمر حفص بن عمر الدوري . وأول من دون فيه أبو عبيد القاسم بن سلام .

اسمه : علم القراءات ، جمع قراءة بمعنى وجه مقروء به .

استمداده : من النقول الصحيحة والمتواترة عن علماء القراءات الموصولة إلى رسول الله - صلى الله عليه وسلم - .

حكم الشارع فيه : الوجوب الكفائي تعلما وتعليما .

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Salam

listen to this recitation, it is very different but very legitimate in the same way

mashallah

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZ2wLTwIa_E

WASLAM

Madhhab
    Hanafi

As salaam Alikum,

Continuing from the two hadeeeth I quoted earlier انَّ أنزل القرءان على سبعة احرف كلها شافٍ كافٍ

Indeed this Qur'an has been revealed/sent down on SEVEN AHRUF. Each one of these Hurf are Shaafi and Kaafi.

In commentary of Saba Ahruf Abul Fadl Raazi R.A said, variances of Qiraat are of 7 categories - All variances fall under these 7 categories. And Saba ahruf is these 7 categories:

1- Variances in Ifraad, Tathnia and Jama (singular, dual, plural) of nouns . for example وَعَلَى الَّذِينَ يُطِيقُونَهُ فِدْيَةٌ طَعَامُ مِسْكِينٍ and مَسْاكِينٍ and Tadhkeer and Taneeth (male/female) in verbs for example وَلَا يُقْبَلُ مِنْهَا شَفَاعَةٌ and وَلَا تُقْبَلُ مِنْهَا شَفَاعَةٌ

2 - Variances in Tense of verbs Maadi, Mudaari'e, Amar - for example مَن تَطَوَّعَ خَيْرًا فَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَّهُ and
    مَن يَطَوَّعَ خَيْرًا فَهُوَ خَيْرٌ لَّهُ

3 - Variances due to I'raab for example وَلَا تُسْأَلُ عَنْ أَصْحَابِ الْجَحِيمِ and وَلَا تَسْأَلُ عَنْ أَصْحَابِ الْجَحِيمِ

4- Variances due to omission and addition - for example وَسَارِعُوا إِلَىٰ مَغْفِرَةٍ مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ and سَارِعُوا إِلَىٰ مَغْفِرَةٍ مِّن رَّبِّكُمْ

5 - variances of Taqdeem wa Takheer for example وَقَاتَلُوا وَقُتِلُوا لَأُكَفِّرَنَّ عَنْهُمْ and وَقُتِلُوا وَقَاتَلُوا لَأُكَفِّرَنَّ عَنْهُمْ

6 - Variances by changing a word for example وَتَوَكَّلْ عَلَى الْعَزِيزِ الرَّحِيمِ and فَتَوَكَّلْ عَلَى الْعَزِيزِ الرَّحِيمِ also famous one of مَالِكِ يَوْمِ الدِّينِ and مَلِكِ يَوْمِ الدِّينِ

7 - Variances due accents of Arabic language as it was spoke in different regions/tribes. 1) Fatha 2) Taqlee/Imalah 3) Idhaar 4) Idghaam 5) Tasheel (bayn two hamzah) 6) Tahqeeq bayn two hamzah 7) Tafkheem 8) Tarqeeq 9) Silah and 10) variances of how certain words word were pronounced around various tribes - الْبِيُوتَ الْبُيُوتَ , يَحْسِبُ يَحْسَبُ

So all modes of recitation fall in these 7 categories.

Source: My teachers (Qari/Muqri Mushatq Ahmed Matrawi, Qari/Muqri/Mufti Umer Esmaiel and Shakh Waleed Idreel Al Manesee) and kitaab: Al-Amaaniyaah (sharah Shaatibyaah) by Qaari Izhaar Ahmed Thanvi, Fawaaid ul Muhibyaah (sharah Shaatibyaa) by Qari Aneees Ahmed, Uloom ul Qur'an by by Mufti Taqi Uthmaani They all quoted these commentary of Imam Raazi R.A

It must be noted that 7 Ahruf doesn't mean 7 modes of recitation. For one reason that we have more than 7 mutawwatir Qiraat. So as we know there are 10 mutawaatir Qiraaat where each qiraat has two riwaayat. What must be understood that all these 10 qiraa'at have these SEVEN types of variances in them or other way to say is that all the variances in these 10 muatawatir Qiraat fall under these SEVEN categories.

All these 10 modes are named after Imams - Nafi'e Madni, Ibn e Kataheer Makki, Abu Amar Basri, Ibn Aamir Shaami, Aasim Kufi, Hamzah Kufi, Kisaa'ie Kufi, Abu Jafar Madni, Yaqoob Hadrami Basri, Khalaf al Bazzar Kufi. All these imams learned Quran directly from sahbaah Akraam R.A and/or Tabie'een R.A.

The students of imams are named Raawis. Thus two raawis are chosen for each imam/Qari.
    Here is a kitaab al asnaad Qurra al ashr wa riwaatuhm - Linkage of 10 Quraa and their raawis to Sahabah R.A and Nabi Kareem Salllaho alahi wa salallam http://www.4shared.com/document/ac8ZkJGQ/aSaNeD.html

I hope this helps. remember me in your duas.

Was salaam.
    Last edited by Ibn-e-Adam; 08-04-2011 at 04:36 AM.

Banned
    Madhhab
    Hanafi

well, i recite the Quran in the way which i have bee taught by my teacher,, so i some time feel that to compare it with others, if i recite it a bit wrong..

Madhhab
    Hanbali

First of all, the seven Ahrof [singular: Harf] that the Holy Quraan was revealed into, are not the seven Qiraa’aat that we hear today.

The seven Ahrof [singular: Harf], means: seven dialects, idiom, or mode of expression. These were the common Harfs of Arab people at the time.
    When the Holy Quraan was revealed, the main revelation was in the Quraish dialect, [the one that we now have], and the Messenger of mercy (salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam - peace and blessings be upon him) asked to make it easy for people, so other dialects were also acceptable, for people who could not recite in the Quraish dialect.

Scholars differ greatly as to what is the seven Ahrof, and we have over thirty opinions.

The Holy Quraan was revealed in Arabic, as Allah The Almighty said in many places in the Holy Quraan, and the Arabic language has many dialects.

One opinion is that these Ahrof are in the Holy Quraan. So, the most part of the Holy Quraan was revealed in the Quraish dialect, while other parts were revealed in other dialects.
    There are some proofs to strengthen this opinion; such as when some Sahabah [companions] did not understand few words or expression in the Holy Quraan, till they heard other Arabs speak in these words or expressions.
    For example: Abd Allah bin Abbaas (radia Allahu anhuma - may Allah be pleased with them both) did not fully understand the word {Fatir} in the Holy Quraan, till two Bedouins came to him disputing over a well, and one of them used the word and said: “ana fatartuha”, then he understood the meaning of this word in the expression in the Holy Quraan, as Creator or Maker.

Another example is the word {Eftah} [open according to the common use in Arabic], Abd Allah bin Abbaas (radia Allahu anhuma - may Allah be pleased with them both) did not fully understand the expression in the Holy Quraan, which will then be translated as : {our Lord! ((open)) Thou between us and our people in truth} [Al-Aaraaf(7):89]. Till he heard a lady say to her husband: “Come with me to someone to open between us”, means: “to decide or judge”, as though they are in a tight or closed situation.

A third example is when Omar (radia Allahu anhu - may Allah be pleased with him) did not fully understand the expression: {or that He may take/punish them on fear/freight}, till a Bedouin explained it to him that the expression means: {Or that He may not seize them by causing them to suffer gradual loss, [or while being afraid]} [An-Nahl(16):47].

These examples prove that the these seven dialects are all in the Holy Quraan.

This is one strong opinion.

These dialect are not for the whole Quraan, but only in few words and pronunciation, according to each Arab dialect.

Another strong opinion is that these seven Ahrof are differences in words and expressions used by different Arab tribes.
    This is similar to the few words differences between British English and American English nowadays, such as ‘lift’ - ‘elevator’, ‘truck’ – ‘lorry’, ‘aubergine’ – ‘eggplant’, ‘autumn’ – ‘fall’, etc.
    And the noble example is for the Holy Quraan.

It was not wise nor easy to force all people at the beginning to use new words and expressions, so there was a relaxation.

It is important to bear in mind that this relaxation was authorized by the Messenger (salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam - peace and blessings be upon him), and it was not up to each person to recite as he likes.

We need to repeat that we know from the same Hadeeth that the Holy Quraan was revealed in one Harf first, then a relaxation was made to use other Ahrof. So, these Ahrof were a relaxation, and not the basis.

Later on, this relaxation was not much needed, and was confusing new Muslims, and later on turned to quarrels as to which one is the best, or which one is right, thinking that the other is wrong.
    So, Othman (radia Allahu anhu - may Allah be pleased with him) wisely though of removing this relaxation, and the whole Muslim nation agreed.

Finally, for the Qiraa’aat.
    Some people mix between the Holy Quraan and the Qiraa’aat.
    We have the Holy Quraan, and we have a science of how it was recited by the Messenger (salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam - peace and blessings be upon him).

The Qiraa’aat are recitation or writing ways narrated from the recitation of the Sahabah [companions] (radia Allahu anhum - may Allah be pleased with them) as they took it from the Messenger (salla Allahu alaihi wa sallam - peace and blessings be upon him).

The Qiraa’aat help give a wider or alternative meaning to the verse, and it is considered a form of miracle of the Holy Quraan.

For example: {Yakthiboon} was recited once this way meaning: lying and falsifying, and recited as {Yokath’thiboon} meaning: denying, give us two attributes of the hypocrite from a single word.