Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do Muslims Read The Bible?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Do Muslims Read The Bible?

My question might be better put as "do Muslims typically read parts of the Bible"?

In the Old Testament, the Torah has much corruption and I think it's mostly replaced by the Quran. Many of the other books are Jewish history or prophecy which is not particularly relevant. But what about the Psalms? It has been a while since I have read them but I think many of them would still be relevant to Muslims.

It seems to me that of all the books in the Bible, the Psalms are the book that is least corrupted and most relevant to Muslims. Thoughts?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Do Muslims Read The Bible?

For a Dayee explaining Islam to Christians it is a sine qua non.
    For common people it is not good.
    My two cents.
    Wassalam

Banned
    Madhhab
    Hanafi

Actually we don't need to read it. It just creates doubts in our hearts. Quran is enough for us.

If you want to give dawah to christians, use the Quran. We don't see Sahaba reading bible to give Dawat to non muslims.

My 3 cents ofcourse.

Madhhab
    None

In the words of Imam Ali (as):

"Do not mind the speaker - but mind what he is saying."

I think everybody should read whatever they can get their hands on - what is good and beneficial take it - else leave it. Knowledge from any source is good - their are some really wonderful and spiritually thought provoking saying in the bible - especially psalm..

my four cents worth ...

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

I remember when going into student accommodations and finding a Bible left behind by the Gideons missionaries. I had a Qur'an with Translation by Yusuf Ali at the time, and Yusuf Ali's translation had loads of commentary and he sometimes referred to passages in the Bible... so I sometimes made use of that Bible to see what he was referring to...

Senior Member janaveronikazahra's Avatar
    Madhhab
    Don't know

Salam,
    i am converted muslimah and i read all new and all testament; this lead me to islam: I do not suggest to read but for better understandig you might, but i would do carefully under guidance of scholar.
    w salam

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by BUMUHULU View Post
    My question might be better put as "do Muslims typically read parts of the Bible"?

In the Old Testament, the Torah has much corruption and I think it's mostly replaced by the Quran. Many of the other books are Jewish history or prophecy which is not particularly relevant. But what about the Psalms? It has been a while since I have read them but I think many of them would still be relevant to Muslims.

It seems to me that of all the books in the Bible, the Psalms are the book that is least corrupted and most relevant to Muslims. Thoughts?
    Most muslims today hardly have time to read the quran, why waste the little time you may have reading the bible. It's a fruitless activity. Read the quran and try your best to understand and live by it. Everything else is just a waste of time, like we will all soon find out on "The day of Regret". May Allah Swt save us. Ameen.

Madhhab
    Maliki

Yeah why not?

And by the way, if youre debating christians or jews or whatever, ofcourse you HAVE to use their books, otherwise you cant really prove to them that their book is wrong.. I dont think itll cause doubts in your hearts at all :S especially if you can clearly see where it is wrong and scientifically incorrect and contradictory to itself
    http://www.youtube.com/user/nn909

The earth destroys its fools, the intelligent destroy the earth- Khalid ibn al-Waleed

We will not surrender, we will be victorious or die- Umar Mukhtar

Long Live The February 17th Free Libya.

If youre hated for loving the sahaba & ahlulbayt, be proud.

Madhhab
    Not Muslim

Quote Originally Posted by Aseatic View Post

I remember when going into student accommodations and finding a Bible left behind by the Gideons missionaries. I had a Qur'an with Translation by Yusuf Ali at the time, and Yusuf Ali's translation had loads of commentary and he sometimes referred to passages in the Bible... so I sometimes made use of that Bible to see what he was referring to...
    I would love to have a Qur'an like that. (I like Yusuf Ali's translations best also.) What is the publishing information, or where can I find a copy of the one you have with the Bible references included?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by PouringRain View Post
    I would love to have a Qur'an like that. (I like Yusuf Ali's translations best also.) What is the publishing information, or where can I find a copy of the one you have with the Bible references included?
    The Biblical quotes and references are not copies sister-these are minimal. We have a Fareed Book Depot in Delhi that has published it (translation with notes-that is what you are asking actually). They have printed it on art paper and it is rather heavy because the number of pages runs over two thousand. Since it is rather common translation therefore many publishers have published it. I do not know who will be the easiest supplier for you. Saudi government's Qur'an printing complex had brought out the best production of that on Bible paper. Then our dear friends of intellectual type some how took over the Saudi printing establishment and replaced the AY Ali by T.Hilali and M.M.Khan translation and Urdu versions also by their choice and so on.
    (M.M.Khan Sahab was present on SF. I do not hold much against their translation.)
    I do not know whether you can manage it via Amazon.