Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Left handedness and other things in Islam?

Madhhab
    Not Muslim

Default Left handedness and other things in Islam?

Hey guys,

I was wondering what Islam's opinion is on left handedness, mostly. I am left handed, and some people have said that Islam is against left-handedness. If so, why is this?
    Can anyone else tell me other laws about Islam, and the reason for this law?

Thanks,
    Alitzhba.

Madhhab
    Maliki

it's not that big of a deal, allthough it's reccomended to use the right hand for noble matters because it was the practise of the Messenger of Allah Ta'ala, sallallahu alayhi wa salam. two answers on the matter

Why do we leave using the left hand?
    Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=1686&CATE=111

---

Some People Are Just Born Left-Handed, What Do They Do?
    Answered by Shaykh Faraz Rabbani

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=4731&CATE=111

Madhhab
    Not Muslim

Kareem,

Interesting. Thanks for those URLs. I read them both.
    I tend to eat with the fork in my left hand, knife in my right hand (as is British custom) and I tend to eat with my left hand, however.

I can't really help it, I have serious dexterity trouble with my right hand most of the time (I have arthritis developing in my hands, but my right one most because I use it less, I find it difficult to even close it into a ball).

What should I do, then? I don't want to cause anybody any offence.

Thanks,
    Alitzbha

Madhhab
    Maliki

hello alitzbha,

why would you cause offfence, man?
    if ppl know you are not muslim, they shouldn't get offended, if you eat with your left hand.
    if they do, then it's their problem.

Madhhab
    Not Muslim

Hi Sahih-Baba,

I don't know why I would cause offence, some people get offended by the left hand no matter what though. For example, when I stayed with a really devout Roman Catholic family, I started to write with my left hand and they got all uptight and nasty with me, and started saying "sinister" (Latin for left handed, and evil). When I ate with my left hand, they got offended by that as well. It wasn't a pleasant experience for me, so I hope this clears up why I don't want to offend anyone. If not, I can explain but I'd prefer to keep it a li'l vague.

Thanks for the message. ^^

Madhhab
    Maliki

don't worry alitzbha, i don't think muslims would give you such grief!

it's interesting tho, how left is connected to sin/evil and right with good in latin as well!

Madhhab
    Hanafi

I agree with bro sahih-baba... don't worry about it too much.

I would hope that people (regardless of whether they are Muslim or otherwise) would take the trouble to understand and be accommodating towards you, especially if you explained your situation to them.

We (and I include myself in this too) should be very careful when advising other people. Although giving advice is good and virtuous, it should be done with sincere intent and in the right way - that is, to benefit the other person, not to humiliate them or cause them to feel uncomfortable.

Take care.

Simon

Madhhab
    Hanafi

asalamualikum,

islam is a religion of simplicity it does not force people about doing something they cant do and as bro kareem said its no big deal it is likely to do so as it is a sunna from prophet mohammed PBUH. u just need to try to use ur right hand more often and gradually u would be much better inshaalah using it but if u cant then u can use ur left hand normally without worrying about it.

i hope i have helped

muslim-teenager

Madhhab
    Maliki

Quote Originally Posted by Alitzbha
    Kareem,

Interesting. Thanks for those URLs. I read them both.
    I tend to eat with the fork in my left hand, knife in my right hand (as is British custom) and I tend to eat with my left hand, however.

I can't really help it, I have serious dexterity trouble with my right hand most of the time (I have arthritis developing in my hands, but my right one most because I use it less, I find it difficult to even close it into a ball).

What should I do, then? I don't want to cause anybody any offence.

Thanks,
    Alitzbha
    Islam is not a religion that asks things of you that you are just not able to do, you say you have serious trouble with using your right hand so don't worry about it.

also, if you are seriously interested in islam, don't worry so much about the litle stuff, allthough it does show you sincerely want to do good.

may Allah subhanahu wa Ta'ala guide you along the right path, ameen

Madhhab
    Not Muslim

You've all been a big help to me, thanks!
    There seems to be some major social thing about left-handed people in the West (and some Eastern countries, too, like Japan and China), almost as if they're stupid (I got that a lot at school), or there's something wrong with them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_ha...eft-handedness

However, I've got something: Right handed people use their right hand for high things, I use my left handed things for high things.

I.E.,[Muslims] bless and eat with [their] right hand, and use the toilet with [their] left. But, with all left-handed people I know, the roles are reversed. In this instance, don't you think it should be reversed? As since we use our right hand for lower things, it almost seems, to me, that it's being disrespectful.

See what I mean?
    More on the topic would be excellent, and thanks brothers and sisters for all the help and support.

Thanks,
    Alitzbha
    Last edited by Muawiyah; 18-08-2005 at 11:39 AM. Reason: ~