Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why is masturbation a sin in islam?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Why is masturbation a sin in islam?

Interesting quote from Ibn Abidin (not sure if already mentioned)
    (قَوْلُهُ الِاسْتِمْنَاءُ حَرَامٌ) أَيْ بِالْكَفِّ إذَا كَانَ لِاسْتِجْلَابِ الشَّهْوَةِ، أَمَّا إذَا غَلَبَتْهُ الشَّهْوَةُ وَلَيْسَ لَهُ زَوْجَةٌ وَلَا أَمَةٌ فَفَعَلَ ذَلِكَ لِتَسْكِينِهَا فَالرَّجَاءُ أَنَّهُ لَا وَبَالَ عَلَيْهِ كَمَا قَالَهُ أَبُو اللَّيْثِ، وَيَجِبُ لَوْ خَافَ الزِّنَا
    (Rough translation)- -Masturbation is haram- It means, when it is to attract desire. As for when desire over takes him and he doesn't have a wife, nor a slave girl, so he does so to calm his desires. Then it is hoped that there is no punishment upon him, as Abu al-Layth mentioned. And it is necessary if he fears fornication''

Any thoughts?

Madhhab
    Don't know

Quote Originally Posted by shyma View Post
    hey!! your a nice guy! and am really sorry about all the trouble you have to go through..
    what is the matter with you sister. leave this brother and do not mix with the opposite gender because that is haram. and do not praise him for the strength that allah has given him. leave him alone i just don;t want you to mix with him dont talk to him plz for the sake and pleasure of allah. just because he is goodlooking and trying hard doesnt mean that uyou have to congratulate him for get it and fear allah.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

this thread is more than a year old. most probably OP is no longer around. also from his reponses it appears he has accepted the proofs provided.

also request to the mods, wouldn't this thread fit better in the "in depth fiqh section rather than aqidah"
    المسلم من سلم المسلمون من لسانه ويده، والمهاجر من هجر ما نهى الله عنه
    A (true) Muslim is a person who does not harm another Muslim with his tongue or with his hands and Muhajir is he who leaves that which Allah has forbidden.

Madhhab
    Don't know

Assalam-u-Alaikum...........I am really very happy and excited after reading this.........Insha ALLAH I'll try my best to overcome my habbit.....

Madhhab
    None

Asalamualaikum,

I pray all of you are well.

I wanted to post my own thread but apparently I can't because I don't have enough posts or something.

I have a very important question.

I understand why masturbation is most likely haram based on the above opinions and interpretations. I understand that scholarly consensus regards it as such. But I am struggling with something a little different.

Alhumdulillah I just recently got married. My wife and I went through halal means seeking marriage... and after we found each other I began a dialogue with her father and after a lot of hard work and discussion I married his daughter.

We were in a chaperoned environment and I did not touch my wife or engage in any sexual behavior prior to marriage. My fondest recent memory is finally holding her hand after months of maintaining barriers and behaving modest in hopes of earning Allah's pleasure.

After marriage we were together for a time and became very attached to each other emotionally and physically.

unfortunately, due to finances, my work, and studies we are currently separated from each other temporarily for several months until I can bring her to live with me inshaAllah. Alhumdulillah we are able to to video chat and talk on the phone privately which is making our time apart much more tolerable.

This post is basically centered around the idea of masturbation between husband and wife. During foreplay and intercourse, my wife and I BOTH enjoy touching each other and ourselves.... Which until now..... I was completely sure was OK just through logical reasoning and because of how natural it was for both of us.

The reason I stumbled across this topic, is because my wife and I have recently been engaging in mutually arousing conversations over the phone and during private video chats. On several occasions these conversations have led to exposing ourselves and reaching climax by touching ourselves. I know this is graphic and I apologize, however I am having a very hard time understanding how the Ayyat used to establish masturbation as haram would also apply to masturbation in the presence of ones spouse.

I am wondering if cultural norms and prudish ideas about what masturbation is and how sex should be, are influencing people and causing them to assume that masturbation is forbidden in the marriage bed or in the presence of ones spouse.

I understand that masturbation while alone is not a healthy thing to do and certainly goes against guarding chastity... Therefore is haram..... But I absolutely do not see how what my wife and I are doing goes against that at all. We are using each other and interacting with each other intimately with the intention of relieving sexual tension and build up and do the sake of satisfying each other while we are so far apart.

Unless there are strong proofs against these actions, I have a have a feeling that people are just assuming it is haram based on an association between self masturbation and mutual masturbation with the intention of pleasuring ones spouse. I would like to ask all of you if you could provide me with any strong evidence that what my wife and I are doing is Haraam, or even disliked.

I pray for Allah's forgiveness if I have done anything wrong and I pray that Allah purifies my intentions. I pray that he makes the truth stand out even if contradicts the majority opinion.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

I'm not a scholar so I can't comment on whether or not what you're talking about is halal, or the justifications for that, but I will tell you that exposing yourselves on a webcam is generally a bad idea, as there are multiple routes an attacker can use to gain access to the video feed, and it could be hard to know if that's happening.

While the chances of someone gaining access probably aren't very high, I would think that the potential risk of having video of you or your wife in compromising situations on the internet is not worth any benefits you might gain from it.

Madhhab
    None

it's a secure avenue. I have no reason to believe the interactions have been compromised.

However if someone wants to, they could install cameras in your home while you were gone and you would never know. That doesn't mean one should assume that there are hidden cameras in their home at all times. If hackers are gaining access to my intimacy without my knowledge, in spite of the meticulous precautions I have taken to safeguard myself and my wife from it.... I mean the sin and the punishment is on them.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Believe me the possibility of having someone listen in on on a network connection is much, much higher than someone breaking into your house and installing hidden cameras.

It's not similar at all.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

It is haraam for one to masturbate themselves. It is only permissible if the wife masturbates him and he does not do it himself.

http://www.askimam.org/public/question_detail/18778

Madhhab
    None

Thank you for posting a link but maybe someone can provide a link to good quality translations of the sources cited to make that call. Whenever I read a fatwa on this matter it always cites very broad ahadith or ayaat and whenever I read translations of them it seems that the scholar is just making an assumption that masturbation in the presence of ones spouse is haram.

I'm not trying to be stubborn, but I need a very detailed breakdown with good evidence not just a quick extrapolated ruling based on narrow minded understanding of the question. I understand that this may be unthinkable to many of you, but I need proof. Essentially I need to see something in the Qur'an that specifically states that such behavior is unlawful between husband and wife, OR I need to see a detailed breakdown including explanations of the way the arabic grammar and vocabulary is interpreted to mean that masturbation is not allowed in the presence of ones spouse.

It should also be considered that some women cannot reach climax unless they are stimulating themselves even while they are having intercourse with their husband.

In my mind, the act should not not be considered the same thing as the kind of masturbation which is clearly disliked. It is entirely different in principle, much in the way that intercourse is clearly forbidden with anyone other than those whine Allah has allowed it, but with those whom Allah has Allowed it. However, with those people, it becomes completely permissible and encouraged. Similarly acts such as dancing provocatively which are completely forbidden and disliked are completely allowed in private with the company of ones spouse. Why is Masturbation any different? I need strong evidence against it. Not just some quick assumption or extrapolation from a mufti in from pakistan or India.

I hate to say this, but people from Desi culture tend to be by far the most culturally inclined when it comes to things like this. And in my humble opinion, that culture is the most sexually repressed of all the Muslim populations There are so many taboos about sex and intimacy. I don't mean that as an insult or an attack on desi culture, but I say it to illustrate my hesitance to blindly accept the opinions of students from those cultures. I understand that this topic may just seem wrong to a lot of people with a cultural attachment to that region but I need to get past the taboos and find out what is clearly right and wrong based on clearly explained evidence.

I am open to accepting any clear and detailed ruling regarding this matter. My wife and I are abstaining from such behavior both in person and in private until we feel better about it one way or another.

May Allah bless all of you and forgive me if I said anything wrong or offensive.

Thanks in advance.