I believe Mufti Taqi Usmani has done a bayan on the spiritual harms of argumentation and debates
Below is a transcription
– The second thing he stated, “Even if Argument & Debate are for/on Haqq, abstain from Argument & Debate.”
– This (Argument & Debate) is too from among the banalities – (caused by the tongue) one of it's great banalities
– It is one of the great pastimes
of the people. Wherever a gathering takes place and a topic arises, Argument & Debate begins. [They argue] on completely useless things, those that neither bring any benefit in this world, nor in the hereafter. On such things, Argument & Debate.
– And keep in mind that this Argument & Debate, this is such a thing, that it utterly destroys the Baatin (inner being, purity of soul)
of the human being.
– There is a statement attributed to Imam Malik that states (Mufti Taqi Uthmani stated the words of Imam Malik in Arabic, followed by their Urdu Translation), Imam Malik states that, “Argument & Debate destroys the 'light' of knowledge.”
Meaning (for example) this happens predominantly among scholars, this Argument & Debate, because every scholar thinks he knows more, and due to this, if another [scholar] states something [different] then [the first] is ready to argue. And hours are being spent in it (argument); whether the argument is oral, or as written words / writing, in it time is being spent.