Born: 1295 AH
Passed Away: 1382 AH

Early Life
Hadhrat Moulana Abdul Qaadir Raipuri (RA) was born in 1295 AH. His father, Haafiz Ahmad Saahib (RA) was a pious saint. He memorised the Holy Qur’aan under the auspices of his uncle, Moulana Kalimullah (RA) and studied the elementary books of Arabic by Moulana Muhammad Rafiq Jhaadria, a student of Hadhrat Moulana Rashid Ahmad Gangohi (RA).

Studies
Hadhrat Moulana Abdul Qaadir Raipuri (RA) thereafter travelled to UP where he studied the elementary books of the aalim course in Rampur. He studied Hadith in Delhi under the auspices of Moulana Abdul Ali (RA), the student of Hadhrat Moulana Qaasim Nanotwi (RA). Whilst in Delhi he also had the good fortune of studying under Allamah Anwar Shah Kashmiri (RA) for a short period.

Endurance
Hadhrat (RA) experienced many difficulties and hardships during his student days but endured these with great patience. Not once did he reveal his difficulties to anyone. He also studied as a unani doctor and practiced for a while. During the severe winters in Delhi, he did not even possess a blanket to cover himself. He would roll himself up in the Musjid chatai leaving his head and feet exposed. This continued for an entire year until Allah Ta’ala eventually sent someone to the Musjid who gave him a thick comfortable duvet to sleep with. Hadhrat Moulana Abdul Qaadir Raipuri (RA) never replied to any of his letters throughout his student days. Instead, he placed all of his mail in a broken earthenware jar. After he qualified, he emptied this jar and began reading all of his correspondence. In one letter it was written that a child had been born in the home of his brother to which he would say, Al-hamdulillah. Another stated that his aunt had passed away and he would recite, Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raajioon. Within a short time, he completed reading all of these letters with Alhamdulillah, ah!, inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raaji’oon and would say, “If I should have read these letters before, it would have distracted me from my studies.”

In search of a Sheikh
After he had completed his studies, he was concerned about his Islaah and self reformation. He went in search of a Sheikh and came across Mirza Ghulaam Ahmad Qaadiyani who was very famous at that time. He requested him for bay’t but the latter refused saying that he should recite “Ihdinas Siraatal Mustaqeem” abundantly. Mirza also requested that he correspond with him regularly. This continued for a while until one night, Hadhrat Moulana Abdul Qaadir Raipuri (RA) dreamt that he was standing knee deep in filthy, dirty water and after a while he emerged from this water. When he awoke he found that his heart had disinclined from Mirza. He thanked Allah Ta’ala for removing him from this polluted, dirty water.
Thereafter, he went to Moulana Ahmad Raza Khan Saahib who was also famous and regarded as pious in those days. When Hadhrat Moulana Abdul Qaadir Raipuri (RA) arrived here he was given a job teaching the little children in the maktab. He was told that he should first attend to these children and thereafter he will be given bay’t.
One day, a person came to ask a mas’alah and Molvi Ahmad Raza answered the query. Hadhrat Moulana Abdul Qaadir Raipuri (RA) who was sitting nearby said to him that the mas’alahhe had given was incorrect and he indicated to him the correct mas’alah. Molvi Ahmad Raza replied, “What you are saying is surely correct because this person is very close to me, I cannot give a ruling that will harm him.” Hadhrat (RA) says that when he heard this he realised that his goal could not be attained here either. He resigned and quietly departed.

In Raipur
Eventually, Allah Ta’ala guided him to Hadhrat Moulana Abdur Raheem Saahib Raipuri (RA), the senior khalifa of Hadhrat Moulana Rashid Ahmad Gangohi (RA). After taking bay’t he moved to Raipur and served his Sheikh for approximately fifteen years. When Hadhrat Moulana Abdul Qaadir Raipuri (RA) went to Raipur, out of extreme poverty, he used to eat the leaves of the trees as he could not afford bread. Once, someone discarded an old blanket in the dump. Hadhrat (RA) picked it up, washed it and thereafter used it for 15 years. He would sit on it, sleep with it, cover himself with it in the cold and would also perform salaah on it.
Hadhrat Moulana Abdul Qadir Raipuri (RA) mentions; “My Hadhrat gave me permission to stay and arranged for my daily food from his home which consisted of some mealie bread. When I ate this I would become constipated but I never mentioned it to anyone. A few days later, Hadhrat sent me to the mehmaan khana (visitors quarters) and told the cook to arrange my meals. I became very happy as I thought that I was now saved from mealie bread only to discover that Hadhrat had instructed the cook to prepare mealie bread for me daily. The bread was such that the dough was not properly kneaded nor was it fully cooked. As a result, I suffered with big worms growing in my stomach which caused me great discomfort. Eventually, I was forced to approach the cook, requesting him to bake the bread properly to which he replied, ‘If you want eat superior quality food then you should go home. Here the quality of the food will remain the same. In this place you will get your bread in this manner.’ I told the cook not to worry as I would eat the bread in the manner that it was prepared. The realisation dawned on me that this is where my islaah will be made.”

Humility
Once, a friend asked Moulana Manzoor Nu’maani Saahib (RA), “Are you bay’t with anyone?” He replied, “Yes, I am bay’t with Hadhrat Moulana Abdul Qaadir Raipuri (RA).” His friend attended the majlis of Hadhrat Raipuri (RA) from Asar to Maghrib after which he rose reading laahawala wa laaquwwata illa billlah. “Who have you taken bay’t to?” he asked Moulana Manzoor Saahib. “This man is nothing, nothing at all. He is completely empty. He has no virtue at all.” Moulana Manzoor Saahib maintained silence. The next day his friend attended the majlis again. This time he woke up saying, “Inna lillahi wa inna ilayhi raajioon. What a misconception! This person is negating himself all the time. He is continuously saying to himself, ‘I am nothing, I am nothing’ to the extent that it has an effect on those around him as well.”

Hadhrat’s kashf (inspiration)
When anyone requested Hadhrat Moulana Abdul Qaadir Raipuri (RA) for dua and if he replied, “Insha Allah I will make dua for you” then that work would be completed and if he said, “You make dua yourself” then that work would never be accomplished. Once when he came to Sahaaranpur. A person came with his son and requested that Hadhrat Moulana make dua for his child to pass his exams. Hadhrat (RA) replied, “It would be better for you if you make dua for your own son.” Again he requested and Hadhrat suggested to him that the manner in which a father makes dua for his child is completely unmatched. When he insisted for the third time, Hadhrat Moulana (RA) looked up towards the sky and said, “If it has already been written for him in the lauh Mahfooz that he is going to fail, then how will my duas ever help him.” A few days later the father mentioned that his son had failed the examinations.

Family
Hadhrat Moulana Abdul Qaadir Raipuri (RA) once mentioned that he had no compatibility with women. He only recognised his sister by her voice and never saw what she looked like. He had only one daughter who had passed away in infancy. Not long thereafter his wife too, passed away. Hadhrat never remarried.

Dedication to the work of Islaah
Before his demise, Shah Abdur Raheem Raipuri (RA) conferred the mantle of khilafat to Hadhrat Moulana Abdul Qadir Saahib (RA) and requested him to remain in Raipur. Complying with the request of his sheikh, he fulfilled this duty for 45 years. During this period, the world witnessed thousands of Ulama’, businessmen, lecturers and people from all walks of life reform themselves under his guidance. He always preferred maintaining a low profile and never once praised himself. Amongst his khulafa are Hadhrat Moulana Manzoor Nu’mani (RA) and Hadhrat Moulana Abul Hasan Ali Nadwi (RA), popularly known as Moulana Ali Mia (RA).

Demise
Hadhrat Moulana (RA) passed away on the 14 Rabiul Awwal 1382, in Lahore, Pakistan. He was laid to rest next to the Musjid in Dhudia (his home town). May Allah Ta’ala fill his grave with nur and raise him to the highest ranks in Jannah. Aameen.

[Source:two books viz. Zikr-e-Mahmood written by Hadhrat Mufti Farooq Meeruti Saahib and Tazkirah-e-Faqeehul Ummah written by Hadhrat Moulana Rahmatullah Kashmiri Saahib (d.b)]