Thread: Near Death Experiences and Muslims

Madhhab
    Don't know

Default Near Death Experiences and Muslims

I have read some books and information on the internet concerning non muslims mainly[but also a few Muslims] and their near death experiences.Some of these experiences seem to conflict with what we as Muslims believe.
    I wanted to see if others have more knowledge on this matter or if you know of scholars who have spoken
    about this issue.Would greatly appreciate more clarity on this issue..Insha Allah.

JazakAllah kyran
    And those [angels] who distribute [provisions, rain, and other blessings] by Allah's Command.

Madhhab
    Don't know

Default Re: Near Death Experiences and Muslims

Do anyone know of Muslims who have had near death experiences??

If so,what were their experiences?

JazakAllah kyran
    And those [angels] who distribute [provisions, rain, and other blessings] by Allah's Command.

Madhhab
    Don't know

Here is one I came across on the internet:

Mebruke's Near-Death Experience

Melvin Morse reported the following Muslim near-death experience in his book, Parting Visions:

Mebruke is a thirty-year-old Saudi Arabian living in New York City. At the age of twenty she was swimming in the Mediterranean Sea off the coast of Italy when she became tired. As she headed for shore, she realized that she was too far out to make it back. She began to struggle and swallow water. Finally she slipped beneath the waves.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went under for the fourth time, and my body went limp and I wasn't aware of it anymore. It was at this point that I saw a beautiful white light. It was so bright and yet it had such a calming effect that the more I looked at it, the calmer I felt. To this day I can't really say what that light was. In my religion (Muslim) there are beings called angels who are made out of pure white light. Maybe that is what I saw.

Anyway, while I was underwater, I heard a voice say, "You are not to die like this." Suddenly I felt this energy shoot through me from my feet to my head, and at the same time I seemed to be propelled out of the water. It was as if someone was physically bringing me out of the water, but I can swear that there was no physical being there.

I was moved through the water, I don't know how else to describe it. Before long a boat came, and a man reached over the side and pulled me out. When he did that, I started to laugh because I was so glad to be out of the water.

Madhhab
    Don't know

Near-death experiences among a sample of Iranian Muslims

http://mhlp.fmhi.usf.edu/publication...BLICATIONID=78

Near-Death Experience, Muslims, Iranian

Published: January 01, 2010

Muslim near-death experiences (NDEs) have been rarely reported by comparison to the incidence of NDEs reported in other groups. Recently, after Kreps (2009) found no NDEs in a sample from Pakistan and Kashmir, he concluded Muslim NDEs may even be nonexistent. However, in Arak City, Iran, we easily identified 19 Iranian Muslims who reported having experienced an NDE. Thirty participants claiming to have memories from a period of unconsciousness associated with a close brush with death completed a Persian translation of Greyson’s (1983) NDE Scale as well as background and semi-structured questions. Of these, 19 (63%) scored 7 or higher on the NDE Scale, Greyson’s criterion for a valid NDE. The presumed NDErs were 10 female and 9 male; aged 16 to 65 years old with a mean age of 33; ranging in education from no high school diploma (5%), to high school diploma (37%), to bachelor’s degree (58%); reporting NDE circumstances of accident (58%), attempted suicide (16%), illness (11%), natural disaster (11%), and emotional trauma (5%); and reporting time since NDE ranging from less than one to 20 years with a mean of 8 years. Although low reliability precluded further statistical analysis of the data or comparison of them to results of previous Western studies, our informal assessment was that both the contents and aftereffects of the Muslim NDEs were quite similar to those of Westerners. We concluded that NDEs are not particularly rare in Muslim groups and that their similarity to Western NDEs suggests they may be a cross-culturally universal and transpersonal phenomenon.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Near-death experiences are not reliable. There are many people who come back from "near-death" who report no such experiences. There may very well be physiological reasons behind some of the more common ones like a bright white light and such. We know what happens at the time of death and afterward from the Quran and ahadith. Death and near-death are not the same thing.

Madhhab
    Don't know

Quote Originally Posted by NNoor View Post
    Near-death experiences are not reliable. There are many people who come back from "near-death" who report no such experiences. There may very well be physiological reasons behind some of the more common ones like a bright white light and such. We know what happens at the time of death and afterward from the Quran and ahadith. Death and near-death are not the same thing.
    JazakAllah kyran.I understand exactly what you are saying but I feel there's someting more going on besides physiological reasons.

Truly Allah knows best.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

One thing is for sure wAllahu 'alam, the angel of death will take a soul if he has been commanded to. You can't escape. So NDEs are something completely beyond the spectrum. If it is not the person's time he won't go through the actual process of death, it will be something else, wAllahu 'alam.