Thread: Advice needed for my child's hifz

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Question Advice needed for my child's hifz

Assalamu Alaikum

My daughter is my oldest and is 9 1/2 yrs old. She is homeschooled and doing Hifz at home too. Alhamdulilah she has memorized from Surah Rahmaan to Naas and a few other longer surahs.

I would like to have advice on how much time should she be sitting with quraan? How should we divide our time between new lessons and revision? And any other advice on how our Hifz schedule should be, would be greatly appreciated.

Jazaakallah Khair

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Advice needed for my child's hifz

Quote Originally Posted by umm_muhammad View Post
    Assalamu Alaikum

My daughter is my oldest and is 9 1/2 yrs old. She is homeschooled and doing Hifz at home too. Alhamdulilah she has memorized from Surah Rahmaan to Naas and a few other longer surahs.

I would like to have advice on how much time should she be sitting with quraan? How should we divide our time between new lessons and revision? And any other advice on how our Hifz schedule should be, would be greatly appreciated.

Jazaakallah Khair

How much time does she need for school? If she's doing school at the same time, I'd advise to let her do it well (i.e. don't let her grades slip and her studies to go poorly), and the remaining time - however much it is - give it all for Hifz.

As for new lessons vs revision, make sure she goes through all her memorized parts once every 10-14 days. So right now she just has a few Juz', so she can revise a few pages each day. But as she increases more, the amount she revises should also increase.

Besides that, make sure she has a set schedule, and a set amount she has to memorize daily. If one doesn't have discipline, it's very easy to slip.

And finally, if there are Surahs which she has memorized but barely remembers now, it's good to go back and re-memorize those before continuing with the new lesson.

This is all based on my personal experience in learning and teaching; others may have different opinions. Wallahu a'lam.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Jazaakallah for replying. Right now, she needs about 2 1/2 to 3 hours for school. I would also like to know if I should let her listen to quraan ( the parts she memorized) often like on an mp3 player. This is besides her daily revision...would it aid in helping remember the surahs too? If yes, is there any recitation recommended to listen to?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Jazaakallah for replying. Right now, she needs about 2 1/2 to 3 hours for school. I would also like to know if I should let her listen to quraan ( the parts she memorized) often like on an mp3 player. This is besides her daily revision...would it aid in helping remember the surahs too? If yes, is there any recitation recommended to listen to?
    It's probably more effective to use the time to have her read herself and revise herself. Listening is good for Tajweed etc. I would recommend Shaykh al-Qurra' Mahmud Khalil al-Husry for Tajweed: http://ar.islamway.com/collection/144

Listening does help in remembering also if one listens to something a lot. So, in that case, one should to listen to a Qari he likes, because you'll have to listen to the recording many times.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Assalaamualiakum.

are you listening to her back paras that she has already memorized?
    if you are interested in your daughter memorizing Quran online on skype. my teacher teachs on skype and the prices are good and reasonable. she teaches kids older than your daughter who go to full time school in the morning and then they read quran only for two hours mashAllah. alhumdulillah in those two hours they recite 3 paras and they do sabaq and she helps them with the next sabaq for the next day so they are more relaxed. if you are interested please let me know.
    jazakAllah

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Depending on how much your daughter learns, I would say about 30-45 mins for new Sabak so if that's a couple of lines or more but she shouldn't have to feel she has to rush.

For revision of learnt material, about 30 mins to do revision of let's say her last 7 sabaks. This should be pretty fresh if done on a regular basis and will begin to take less and less time if done every day.

Then a portion from the back, so you could start from 30th Juz, another 20-30 mins, as she has learnt 3+ Juz, I would say start her on at least 1/4 of a Juz and then build it up as she learns more.

So in all about 2-3 hours for learning and reading.

New Sabak - 30-45 mins
    Previous 7 Sabak - 30 mins
    Portion from the back or Manzil - 30-45 mins