Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gutra (Arab-style Scarf): Sunnah or Culture?

Madhhab
    Don't know

Exclamation The Gutra (Arab-style Scarf): Sunnah or Culture?

I was just wondering about this particular article of clothing? As I see amongst the Arabs bretheren wearing it, I also see it as a fitnah, when coming up from sajdah as it can the person beside you can press their limbs upon it and the person with the gutra is slowed up from coming back up for qiyam.

Also when I seen it being worn, they have it in different ways like primped up in piles on their head while in public or along the head and wrapped across the neck.

Is this piece of clothing amongst the sunnah of our Prophet?
    Ibrahim al-Harbi said, ‘I heard Ahmad Ibn Hanbal say, ‘If you love that Allah should keep you upon that which you love, then remain upon that which He loves, and the good is in the one who sees no good in himself.”

Refer to al-adab shariah (2/31) by Ibn Muflih

Madhhab
    Hanafi

What does the gutra look like?
    This is the first time I've heard of it.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

what about those ring things that sa'oodis wear on top of their gutra like the ones that float above the heads of the angels [in cartoons]
    Imam al-Zarqani said in his book Manahil al-Irfan: 'Our Scholars agreed that if a word carries 99 aspects of disbelief and one aspect of faith, it must be interpreted according to the best of meanings, which is faith'.

Visit www.asharis.wordpress.com and the Marifah website

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by faqir
    what about those ring things that sa'oodis wear on top of their gutra like the ones that float above the heads of the angels [in cartoons]
    Halos? An interestingly ironic bidah.

What is a gutra anyway? As far as I know the sunnah headcovering is the amaamah sharif.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

The ghutra is the scarf like cloth .. i'm sure you've all seen it somewhere. Its usually referred to as the "saudi scarf". I was told that wearing the saudi scarf fulfills the sunnah of the turban.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

By "gutra", do you mean the typical "Arab" headdress worn by the Saudis and by Yassir Arafat and company?

I was always taught that it was called "Kuffiya wa Aqal". Are we talking about the same thing?

If so, is there any record of the Rasul (peace be upon him), or his companions (may Allah be pleased with them all), wearing one?

Madhhab
    Maliki

Quote Originally Posted by Pahlawaan Khan
    By "gutra", do you mean the typical "Arab" headdress worn by the Saudis and by Yassir Arafat and company?

I was always taught that it was called "Kuffiya wa Aqal". Are we talking about the same thing?

If so, is there any record of the Rasul (peace be upon him), or his companions (may Allah be pleased with them all), wearing one?
    I am your Arab clothing master so I will make it clear insha Allah.

The Kuffiyah alot of times refers to the Kufi - it also refers to the hat-like non skull-cap kufi and it also refers to the engab or Yasser Arafat type deal.

It is also called a ghutra by some, but some people also use the word ghutra to refer to the 'amama or turban.

The Agal is the ring-type thing on top of the ghutra or engab which you see people wear. In reality there is a distinction - the new agals I have been told are called "breems" as the black rings are very new only about 50 years old or so. As for the real agal they are made up of multiple peices (go look up a picture of Saudi King 'Abdul Aziz).

The 'Amama (turban) is different than the Engab (head cover). I have seen Imams in Syria wear white Engabs to cover their head in their khutbas along with the kufi under it. Basically the 'Amama is a very LONG cloth which is thin and is wrapped while the Engab is just a triangle shaped cloth put on the head.

The optimum Sunnah is to wear the 'Amama with a hat under it. The optimum colors are white, black, and some say green as it was Sayyidina Rasul Allah 's favorite color. The hat under the 'Amama can be the Syrian Kufi (the skullcap), the Taj Hat (what Mawlana Shaykh Nazim al-Haqqani and the Naqshbandi-Haqqani tariqat wears and paintings of Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi wears), the hat-type Kufi, the Tarboush or "Fez Hat" as Shaykh al-Bouti wears, etc.

It is also a lesser mandub to wear the under-'Amama hat without the 'Amama.

Rasul Allah said that the difference between us and the mushrikeen is that they don't wear a hat under their 'Amama while we do.

It is funny how some of these Salafis say they are the true followers of the Salaf when they don't wear 'Amamas and of all colors they wear red! The color that many of the Salafi sects are not to fond of.

Now as for the Engab fufilling the Sunnah of a turban - I don't know if it does but I couldn't see why not. At least it fufills that it is Muslim clothing which is mandub to wear anyway. And as much as we disagree with the Salafis we must credit them for always wearing white, long sleeved clothing with Engabs and not straying from this clothing even when their leaders visit the United States or United Kingdom.

I do not know the origin of the Engab but I do know that the origin of the breem (the black ring on top) is about 50 years old insha Allah wa Allahu 'Alam.

Jazakallahu ta'ala Khayrun

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Jazakallahu Khair for the extensive info bro Omar.

I do have a question or two to follow up though.

1) Do you know if the Prophet (peace be upon him) ever wore an "engab"/"Kuffiya" as a Shawl, as many people do nowadays and say that it is Sunnah?

And

2) If the "engab" is not explicitly narrated as having been worn by the Rasul (peace be upon him), then would it make sense if one were to say that, aside form the "Amamah", the "engab" is a better method for the fulfilment of Sunnah than another type of cultural dress that would also cover the head? Many people seem to think so and INSIST that the "engab"/"kuffiya" is a sunnah. I think some people just equate anything Arabian with sunnah for some reason.

If you could answer the questions above, I would appreciate it insha'allah.

Madhhab
    Maliki

1) Do you know if the Prophet (peace be upon him) ever wore an "engab"/"Kuffiya" as a Shawl, as many people do nowadays and say that it is Sunnah?

I do not know. I am not aware of any narration saying he did, but if many people do nowadays then their must probably be a basis? Well in any case it is rewarded to wear the clothing of Muslims in the Maliki madhab (and I believe all the others as well probably but God knows best).

2) If the "engab" is not explicitly narrated as having been worn by the Rasul (peace be upon him), then would it make sense if one were to say that, aside form the "Amamah", the "engab" is a better method for the fulfilment of Sunnah than another type of cultural dress that would also cover the head? Many people seem to think so and INSIST that the "engab"/"kuffiya" is a sunnah. I think some people just equate anything Arabian with sunnah for some reason.

I am not aware of any narration saying that Rasul Allah wore the Engab but go ask a Shaykh or something. I am not a scholar. In my opinion I think the Engab historically is probably a newer invention but it might have roots back then - who knows I am not sure i'll have to look it up. It is Sunnah to wear the 'Amamah with a hat under it, insha Allah, and Allah knows best. Some people still wear the 'Amamah without the hat under it, and some just wear the hat under it. As for the "engab" I am not sure. Really engab can also mean 'Amamah but the specific Saudi-type current world "engab" I do not know of any narration saying anything about it.

Actually there is also controversy on the Kufi technically which I will post in another thread.

Madhhab
    Maliki

I have read from a Shaykh that to the best of our knowledge Rasul Allah did not wear the "Kufi." The turban was worn with a neck-wrap called a qinaa'. The word "kufi" is not an Arabic world and the real Arabic word is "Qalansawah."

But there are hadith on the internet in English which say:

Tabrani And Imaam Suyuti
    Ibn Umar (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) narrates that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) used to wear a white cap (kufi).Tabrani has reported this hadith to be Hasan (reliable) and Suyuti has classified this hadith as highly authentic(Sahih) in the book Sirajul Muneer vol #4 pg#112)

Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 2 pg #863
    It is mentioned that Anas Bin Malik (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) used to wear a kufie (cap).

Tirmidhi
    Roknah (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) said "The distinction between us and the poluthesists is the turbans over our caps."

Sanun Abu Dawood Book 3, Hadith # 0948:
    Narrated Umm Qays bint Mihsan: Hilal ibn Yasaf said: I came to ar-Raqqah (a place in Syria). One of my companions said to me: Do you want to see any of the Companions of the Prophet (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam)? I said: A good opportunity. So we went to Wabisah. I said to my friend: Let us first see his mode of living. He had a cap (kufi).

Bazlul Majhood vol#6 pg#52
    Abu Shaikh reports from Ibn Abbas (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu Álayhi Wasallam) had three caps in his possesion.

See I don't know if the Scholar thought I was talking about a different Kufi.

Murtada al-Zabidi (Rahimahullah)
    (In his commentary on Ghazali's Ihya' `ulum al-din entitled Ithaf al-sadat al-muttaqin 3:253.)
    "The turban is desired (mustahabb) on Fridays for both the imam and the congregation, and Nawawi said that it is desired for the imam to beautify his appearance (i.e. more than everyone else), wear the turban, and wear a rida' (jubba, a loose outer garment or robe). The application of the Sunnah consists in winding the turban on the head or on top of a qalansuwa (kufi). It is preferable to wear it large, but it is necessary to define its length and width by what fits the wearer's custom according to his time and place. To add to this is disliked by the Law."

So there is alot of differences and I am confused on the whole "kufi" maybe the "kufi" was a different kufi at that time or something. Who knows.