Thread: Reference

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Reference

Umar [Rad came out from the masjid and with him was al-Jarud al-Abdi. There was a woman on the main road. Umar greeted her. She answered (his greeting) and (then) said: Be off, O Umar! I have seen you (when you were) called Umayr (lttle Umar) in the marketplace of Ukaz, tending the sheep with your stick. Then the days passed and you were called Umar. Then the days passed and (now) you are called Commander of the Believers. So, be wary of God in respect of the subjects (whom you govern). And she continued advising him. Then al-Jarud said: Woman, you have said a lot to the Commander of the Believers. Umar said: Let her be. Do you not know her? This is Khawlah bint Hakim, the wife of Ubayd ibn al-Samit, whose word was heard by Allah from above the seven heavens.* So it is most fitting for Umar to listen to her.

Could anyone help me with regards to where the narration is found and the strength of it. I was particularly concerned with the remark that her words were heard by allah from above the seven heavens.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Reference

Is no-one able to help me with regards to the above incident?

Reading i have found another passage which i found disturbing for aqeedah.

Ibn Al-Jawzi recounts in his book, Sifat Al-Safwa, a story narrated by Nafee from Ibn ‘Umar that Prophet, salah allahu ‘alayhi wa salam, prepared an army and sent them on a mission. Amongst the troops was a man named Hudayr. During that year, the Prophet and his people faced a drought and food was scarce. For that reason, the Prophet, salah allahu ‘alayhi wa salam, specially gave each one in the army more supply of food and drink. However, he forgot to give Hudayr. So, the army began on their trip, and Hudayr was in the back-end of the army, bearing patient without food and seeking the reward from Allah while saying, “La Ilaha Ila Allah, Allahu Akbar, Alhamdulilah, Subhanna Allah, La Hawla wa La quwata Ila bilah” and he said, “This is the best provision, O Lord”

So Jibril came down upon the Prophet, salah allahu ‘alayhi wa salam, and said:

“Allah has sent me to you to inform you that you have provided your army but you forgot to provide Hudayr. He is in the back of the army repeating la Ilaha Ila Allah, Allahu Akbar, Alhamdulilah, Subhanna Allah, La Hawla wa La quwata Ila bilah” and he says, This is the best provision, O Lord. His speech will have a light on the day of judgement covering that which is between the earth and sky, so send him some food.”

The Prophet then ordered a man to carry food and give it to Hudary. He also asked him to remember what Hudayr’s reply would be once he gave him the food and tell him that the Prophet, salaha allahu ‘alayhi wa salam, said:

The Prophet, salah allahu ‘alayhi wa salam, greets you with his salam and informs you that he had forgotton to give you your supply of food, and Allah, All-Mighty, had sent Jibril to remind me of your condition and made me aware of your whereabout”

The person carrying the food finally arrived to Hudayr and as he arrived, he heard Hudayr repeating la Ilaha Ila Allah, Allahu Akbar, Alhamdulilah, Subhanna Allah, La Hawla wa La quwata Ila bilah, the best of provision is that of taqwa, O Lord.

The man passed along the message from the Prophet, salah allahu ‘alayhi wa salam, so Hudayr replied:

“Praise be to Allah who has remembered from atop the seven skies, and on top of His throne, and has had mercy upon me in my time of hunger and weakness. O Allah, as you have rememembered Hudayr, allow Hudayr to never forget you!”

Once the man told the Prophet, salah allahu ‘alayhi wa salam, about what Hudayr had said, the Propeht replied:

“Only if you had looked up you would have seen that his words lit up that which is between the sky and earth”

Again it's quite clear reference to the sky and the throne Allah

Please can someone show me how they understand these incidents and the words of the sahaba

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Reference

This incidents are not difficult to understand at all if it is remembered that Allah is independent of all things and that he is not comparable to anything. Any hadiths viewed with this perspective will help clear many doubts my brother.

Allah is not in the sky as there are many celestial bodies also in the sky. Allah declares "laysa kamithlihi shay (thre is nothing like unto Him). Form, matter, shape, weight, spacial existence are all attributes of makhlooq not the Khaaliq.

For reference for aqidah please refer to Aqidah Tahawiyyah.