Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who is Abdul Wahab? What is a Wahabi?

Madhhab
    Maliki

Default Re: Who is Abdul Wahab? What is a Wahabi?

Quote Originally Posted by lslam View Post
    I've heard the name Abdul Wahab and that he caused fitnah and divided the Ummah?

I also heard to avoid people who are Wahabis? People telling me to not associate with Wahabis (I don't even know what or who they are) Isn't Wahab a name for Allah? Why are people called Wahabis? And why do Wahabis claim that Sunni's aren't true muslims? And why do Sunnis claim that Wahabi's have destroyed the Ummah and cause fitnah?

P.S. I'm a young muslim and I don't have much knowledge about Islam so I'm still learning
    Can someone please give me correct source and proof of who Abdul Wahab is so I can learn, Thanks

When the Muslims were colonized by the Europeans... You could say... this was the beginning of the fall of the current Muslim Ummah... Many muslims sought to figure out what was the cause of fall of this Ummah... Muhammad Ibn Abdul Wahab felt it was rooted is shirk, by way of tawassul... He wa highly influenced by another deviant Islamic figure, Ibn Taymiyyah... So Muhammad Ibn Abdul Wahab took some of the ibn Taymiyyah's ideas along with a mixture of his own and starting a cult... They literally killed hundreds of Muslims... in the name of ridding the Muslim Ummah of shirk... for actually engaging in tawassul.. a practice that was considered permissible by all four madhabss.. ibn Taymiyyah was the first person who consider it shirk... he had alot of strange ideas, (like Allah being like the moon in some regards.... That Allah had literal hands, eyes, etc and other aqida issues)

This group that Muhammad ibn Wahab founded started calling themselves Salafis... and varous other names, and now broke up into various groups.... Anyone who adhere to teachings of Muhammad ibn Wahab or Ibn Taymiyyah is generally called a Wahabi......

Majority of Islamic scholarship have deemed this group innovators, deviants and the likes.

And Allah knows best...
    Allah says, "Say, 'If you truly love Allah, follow me; and Allah shall love you and forgive you your sins." (3:31)

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by bugmenot View Post
    I wish people at the very least leave Abdul Wahhab alone, as it is Ibn Abdil Wahhab who is the concerned person...

Maulana Manzur Nu'mani explains that this is one reason which demonstrates that Shaykh Ibn Abideen was taken in by the propaganda without investigating Shaykh Ibn Abdul Wahhab's works:

"He also explains that Ibn 'Abidin's comment was written after Ibn 'Abd al-Wahhab's followers were expelled from the Hijaz by the Ottoman governer of Egypt and there was a negative attitude adopted by the common people and the rulers alike against him. Ibn 'Abidin did not base his comments on any investigation of Ibn 'Abd al-Wahhab's own works or those of his students. But the fact that he relied on hearsay is clear from his referring to him as "'Abd al-Wahhab" instead of "Ibn 'Abd al-Wahhab" which is a mistake only somebody who has not investigated and verified the matter would make."

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by UntoldTruth View Post
    When the Muslims were colonized by the Europeans... You could say... this was the beginning of the fall of the current Muslim Ummah... Many muslims sought to figure out what was the cause of fall of this Ummah... Muhammad Ibn Abdul Wahab felt it was rooted is shirk, by way of tawassul... He wa highly influenced by another deviant Islamic figure, Ibn Taymiyyah... So Muhammad Ibn Abdul Wahab took some of the ibn Taymiyyah's ideas along with a mixture of his own and starting a cult... They literally killed hundreds of Muslims... in the name of ridding the Muslim Ummah of shirk... for actually engaging in tawassul.. a practice that was considered permissible by all four madhabss.. ibn Taymiyyah was the first person who consider it shirk... he had alot of strange ideas, (like Allah being like the moon in some regards.... That Allah had literal hands, eyes, etc and other aqida issues)

This group that Muhammad ibn Wahab founded started calling themselves Salafis... and varous other names, and now broke up into various groups.... Anyone who adhere to teachings of Muhammad ibn Wahab or Ibn Taymiyyah is generally called a Wahabi......

Majority of Islamic scholarship have deemed this group innovators, deviants and the likes.

And Allah knows best...
    Majority of the scholars also call Qadianis as kafirs, yet you don't agree with this, Ibn Abdul Wahab took out shirk practices from the arabian peninsula, his methods some may say are harsh though they had to be to eradicate the shirk practices, it is the same in the sub-continent where some practices which go contrary to the teachings of islam and tawheed are practised by the ignorant masses, if you correct them and try to explain to them you are instantly labelled a 'vabiz' which is their ignorant way of saying 'Wahabi'

Madhhab
    Maliki

Quote Originally Posted by abdul12345 View Post
    Majority of the scholars also call Qadianis as kafirs, yet you don't agree with this, Ibn Abdul Wahab took out shirk practices from the arabian peninsula, his methods some may say are harsh though they had to be to eradicate the shirk practices, it is the same in the sub-continent where some practices which go contrary to the teachings of islam and tawheed are practised by the ignorant masses, if you correct them and try to explain to them you are instantly labelled a 'vabiz' which is their ignorant way of saying 'Wahabi'
    There are some here who think that I have NOT sat with scholars... and I have... There some things which I agree with them and then there are things I do not agree with them ...
    When I am before my Lord.... I am will be accountable... For what I do and say.....Not the scholars... I don't want to be accountable for making takfir... Allah and His Messenger (SAW) has not made it obligatory for me to make takfir so I don't.... Nor is it a condition to enter Jannah....

So....

Also I do not believe that the Qadiyani's are correct.... Just like I do not believe the Wahabi's Salafis' are correct... So I am not promoting their beliefs... I just don't make takfir....
    Allah says, "Say, 'If you truly love Allah, follow me; and Allah shall love you and forgive you your sins." (3:31)

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Quote Originally Posted by SeekerOfGuidance View Post

Maulana Manzur Nu'mani explains that this is one reason which demonstrates that Shaykh Ibn Abideen was taken in by the propaganda without investigating Shaykh Ibn Abdul Wahhab's works:

"He also explains that Ibn 'Abidin's comment was written after Ibn 'Abd al-Wahhab's followers were expelled from the Hijaz by the Ottoman governer of Egypt and there was a negative attitude adopted by the common people and the rulers alike against him. Ibn 'Abidin did not base his comments on any investigation of Ibn 'Abd al-Wahhab's own works or those of his students. But the fact that he relied on hearsay is clear from his referring to him as "'Abd al-Wahhab" instead of "Ibn 'Abd al-Wahhab" which is a mistake only somebody who has not investigated and verified the matter would make."

With so many realiable scholars having the same opinion of MIAW given by Ibn Abidin, it makes the explanation given in your quote just a personal speculation for being apolegetic. In the first link I posted on this topic you'll find the list of books written against the movement.

Madhhab
    Maliki

Quote Originally Posted by SeekerOfGuidance View Post

It's important to distinguish between Shaykh Ibn Abdul Wahhab, and the wahhabis today. There has always been a lot of false propaganda against him. Maulana Manzur Nuímani wrote a comprehensive book on this topic. For a brief summary see:

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...l=1#post742752

http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/show...l=1#post743284

This is a very true observation. He was much more sensible and balanced in his thought than most modern people claiming to follow him.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Shaykh Muhammad ibn `Abdul Wahhab Najdi, was a very great `Aalim of Deen, and it is possible that he could have been a Mujaddid of his time.

It is true that he made mistakes, but many `Ulama also had made some mistakes. Allamah Suyooti (Rahmatullahi `Alayhi) was such a great `Aalim of Islaam, and his Tafseer "Jalaalain" is accepted around the entire world, yet he believed in and supported the celebration of Meelaad-un-Nabi (Sallallahu `Alayhi wa Sallam) and also Raqs (a form of Sufi dancing). Does this mean we should reject him and reject his Tafseer?...Besides Imaam Suyooti (Rahmatullahi `Alayhi) there were also many other `Ulama-e-Kiraam who had some Tafarrudhaat Fataawaa, but we must show due respect to them nonetheless.

The actions taken by Shaykh Najdi was due to his Fikr for the Ummah of Rasoolullah (Sallallahu `Alayhi wa Sallam), and his fervent desire that Islaam should be returned to it's original pristine state, free from all Shirk.

As for what some people who call themselves Salafis/Wahhabis do today, how can he be blamed for it? An `Aalim cannot be blamed for what some ignorant people who claim to be followers do. The Ummah of Rasoolullah (Sallallahu `Alayhi wa Sallam) makes mistakes and commits sins, we cannot (Na`oodhubillah) blame Rasoolullah (Sallallahu `Alayhi wa Sallam) for that.

May Allah Subhaanahu wa Ta`aalaa grant us the understanding.

Madhhab
    Maliki

Quote Originally Posted by (Huzaifah) View Post
    Shaykh Muhammad ibn `Abdul Wahhab Najdi, was a very great `Aalim of Deen, and it is possible that he could have been a Mujaddid of his time.

He made muslim kafir and made their blood halal... And had alot of muslims killed... this is what Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahab did.....

The salafis today are fruits of his labor.......

Senior Member Abu Zakariya Yahya's Avatar
    Madhhab
    Hanbali

Quote Originally Posted by UntoldTruth View Post
    He made muslim kafir and made their blood halal... And had alot of muslims killed... this is what Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahab did.....

The salafis today are fruits of his labor.......

Would you say that Takfeer is not part of our religion that the scholars must do if necessary?

Madhhab
    Maliki

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Zakariya Yahya View Post
    Would you say that Takfeer is not part of our religion that the scholars must do if necessary?
    He wasn't a scholar, he was an ignoramus who had alot of muslims killed... He had good intention but he was stupid.... He took a fiqh issue and made it an aqidah issue and then had alot of muslims slaughtered... Nothing he has done has made the Ummah any better... We are more divided because of his ignorance.... And I make no apology for what I have said against him....

He wasn't a scholar, maybe a student of knowledge.... and a poor one at that... no one that should be followed nor imitated....