Thread: Best written, English-language biography of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)?

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Best written, English-language biography of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)?

As-salamu alaykum.

Which written, English-language biography of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) do you all consider to be the best to give to a non-Muslim interested in learning about him and his life? JazakAllah Khayran for all of your help.
    Last edited by PursuitOfKnowledge; 01-08-2012 at 01:33 AM.
    POLL: Should world news and politics be posted on SunniForum?
    http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?109208

Clarifying a position/viewpoint/ideology does not indicate agreement with it
    http://www.sunniforum.com/forum/showthread.php?109665

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Best written, English-language biography of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)?

Quote Originally Posted by PursuitOfKnowledge View Post
    As-salamu alaykum.

Which written, English-language biography of Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) do you all consider to be the best to give to a non-Muslim interested in learning about him and his life? JazakAllah Khayran for all of your help.

My personal choice would be "The Sealed Nectar" by Shaykh Safi al-Rahman Mubarakpuri.
    Mujhse bekas ki dawlat pe laakhon durood, Mujhse bebas ki quwwat pe laakhon salaam,
    Hum ghareebon ke aaqa pe behad durood, Hum faqeeron ki sarwat pe laakhon salaam.

www.jayshemuhabbat.blogspot.com
    www.drabutamim.blogspot.com
    www.shiningblades.blogspot.com

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Default Re: Best written, English-language biography of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)?

For a non-Muslim, I'd say the one by Martin Lings, "Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources", is best. I know there are some issues with the author's philosophy, as well as a few inaccuracies in the text, but overall I think it's the best read in English.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by NNoor View Post

For a non-Muslim, I'd say the one by Martin Lings, "Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources", is best. I know there are some issues with the author's philosophy, as well as a few inaccuracies in the text, but overall I think it's the best read in English.
    I second this, read this book before becoming my conversion. Very well written indeed.
    لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Muhammed ur Rasulullah By Hazrat Maulana Shaikh Abul Hasan Ali Hasani sahab Nadwi .. reading this one feels as if he just met the beloved Nabi

Madhhab
    Maliki

Quote Originally Posted by NNoor View Post

I concur..... perhaps recommend Shaykh Hamza Yusuf commentary of the book...
    Allah says, "Say, 'If you truly love Allah, follow me; and Allah shall love you and forgive you your sins." (3:31)

Banned
    Madhhab
    Don't know

Yes... I can most posters here as well ...

Martin Lings, "Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources" is the best biography on Prophet Muhammad written in English Language.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Yes Martin Lings book is great, I highly recommend it.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

The Sealed Nectar & Muhammad: His Life Based on the Earliest Sources

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

sealed nectar is mostly about battles, maybe try shifa of qadi iyyad, better to instill love of the prophet