The following is a Summary of a Bayan of Shaykh (Maulana) Saleem Dhorat (HA) on Defenders of Truth (Urdu).
When listening to an Islamic talk (in the Masjid) there are only two possible scenarios and two way to act in each:
- You are acting on what is being said: If you come to the Masjid and Alhumdolillah practising all of the matters which are being discussed in the talk then you should go home with a sense of regret that today although you earned the reward of being in the house of Allah (SWT) you missed out on an opportunity to improve yourself.
- You are NOT acting on what is being said: If you come to the Masjid and not practising on some of the matters which are being discussed in the talk then you should go home with a great sense of gratitude and praise the Mercy and Benevolence of Allah (SWT) that he informed you of your shortcomings in (an indirect manner) and didn’t expose you in front of the masses. All praise be to Allah (SWT) that he was able to humiliate you and expose but he put the matter on the tongue of the (Maulana who is giving the talk) and you got informed of your errors and mistakes. Praise Allah (SWT) for it.
People say that Deen is hard and Tasswuff is hard, I have the following easy points for them.
- Buy a small notebook, sit down and write down all of your shortcomings yourself and then attempt to get rid of the easy ones. Revise and ponder upon your notes from time to time.
- Attend the Masjid and listen to ANY & ALL Islamic talks (and attend all Islamic activities) with desire and be desirous
- With desire means having the urge that you need the talk for your personal benefit
- Being desirous means that you genuinely desire your shortcomings to be corrected
- Make dua to Allah (SWT) and ask others to make dua (instead of being specific say that you are experiencing some personal difficulties) for you to get rid of these shortcomings that you (yourself) have written down.
- You don’t need Wudhu or raise your hands or pray (before) to make dua
- Make Dhik’r daily:
- 100 times 1st Kalima OR 3rd Kalima, take your choice
- 100 times Astaghfirullah (just say Astaghfirullah, Astaghfirullah)
- 300 times “Sallaho Alaihe Wassallam)
- If you can’t read it 300 times, read it a 100 times
- If you can’t read all of the above as stipulated, reduce it to 50 times daily (each)
- If you can’t read all of the above as stipulated, reduce it to 25 times daily (each)
- Insha’Allah with the Barakah of Allah (SWT) your Dhik’r will increase
- Frequent the graveyard and remind yourself that you WILL one day be here. I am not asking you to visit it daily but frequent it (once in a while).
- I can't remember the 6th point...