Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Opinions on the Beard according to the Shafi'i Madhhab

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Lightbulb Opinions on the Beard according to the Shafi'i Madhhab

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed_Abdullah_01 View Post
    Dear brothers,

I have been reading further on the position of the Shafi'i school and it is apparent to me that trimming the beard shorter without excuse is not permissible. However, my question further would be this. I visited my mother recently (we live quite a distance apart due to my work) and she expressed that she did not like my beard and told me to trim as it does not look good on me. How do I deal with this, on one hand I believe that I should keep a fist length beard, but my mother dislikes it and I am also obliged to please my mother.

akhi where did you find your rulling that shorterning is not permissable.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Default Re: 24 hrs Sin: To Shave the Beard or To Trim it Less than one fist in length

Quote Originally Posted by SASLAMS View Post
    akhi where did you find your rulling that shorterning is not permissable.
    At sunnipath. http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?...14618&CATE=414

And at shafifiqh.com http://www.shafiifiqh.com/beard-leng...fi%E2%80%99is/

Shortening the beard such that it is shorter than the length of one fist. I am still confused on the sides though. I'm getting daily reminders even from my wife now that I should trim it since my mother asked me to. The Shafi'i scholars in Malaysia mostly do not keep long beards, though there are a few exceptions, and thus the grounds for the arguments. My late father kept a beard, unfortunately he has passed on many years ago and I have to deal with just my mother now. I used to wear the 'serban' as it is termed here, but I stopped after my mother asked me not to as there were many here he would term me an extremist if I were to do so. I have compromised quite a few things for my mother's sake, and all were only sunnat (by virtue of the Shafi'i school). However, my mother claims to be Hanafi, and I (due to school and those that I mix with) am Shafi'i. She does follow Hanafi in almost all ways as far as I can observe as my father was Hanafi as well. They pray Asar according to Hanafi time and Witr is 'wajib' for them. As far as my readings (in some books as well as consultation with the local Imam at my mosque) the beard must be kept.

Brother Rahmaniiyah, I can't view the video either from work as youtube is blocked. I will view it Insya-Allah once I get home.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Default Re: 24 hrs Sin: To Shave the Beard or To Trim it Less than one fist in length

At sunnipath. http://spa.qibla.com/issue_view.asp?...14618&CATE=414

And at shafifiqh.com http://www.shafiifiqh.com/beard-leng...fi%E2%80%99is/

Shortening the beard such that it is shorter than the length of one fist. I am still confused on the sides though. I'm getting daily reminders even from my wife now that I should trim it since my mother asked me to. The Shafi'i scholars in Malaysia mostly do not keep long beards, though there are a few exceptions, and thus the grounds for the arguments. My late father kept a beard, unfortunately he has passed on many years ago and I have to deal with just my mother now. I used to wear the 'serban' as it is termed here, but I stopped after my mother asked me not to as there were many here he would term me an extremist if I were to do so. I have compromised quite a few things for my mother's sake, and all were only sunnat (by virtue of the Shafi'i school). However, my mother claims to be Hanafi, and I (due to school and those that I mix with) am Shafi'i. She does follow Hanafi in almost all ways as far as I can observe as my father was Hanafi as well. They pray Asar according to Hanafi time and Witr is 'wajib' for them. As far as my readings (in some books as well as consultation with the local Imam at my mosque) the beard must be kept.

Brother Rahmaniiyah, I can't view the video either from work as youtube is blocked. I will view it Insya-Allah once I get home.

akhi I havent read them but I can tell you that you are mistake, it is makrooh to shave the beard in the shafi' madhab. we would advise people to grow their beard but never call them sinners for shaving. any removal of the beard is makrooh, we dont have fist length in the shafi madhab the sunnah is to leave the berd. as for your mother, tell her that the beard is wajib according the the ahnaaf, & that is the truth- you on the other hand just leave your beard. according to the shawafi' the beard is that which grows on the chin, like Habib Mashur-I sure you know him. then there is another view that the hair on the jaws are also from the beard. akhi maybe you mother just needs to get use to you having a beard. buy yourself some hair cutters. for the first month or so keap the beard short at number one. then after that you clip it at number two, eventualy they would be so use to it that they dont every realise that your beard it tickling your belly.

also we also use the word Sorban in South Africa. maybe you should tie your turban in the hadhrami styly & not the indian style, try to tie it like Habib Umars', it doesnt have to be as big but that is how Malays use to tie the Sorban

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

akhi I havent read them but I can tell you that you are mistake, it is makrooh to shave the beard in the shafi' madhab. we would advise people to grow their beard but never call them sinners for shaving. any removal of the beard is makrooh, we dont have fist length in the shafi madhab the sunnah is to leave the berd. as for your mother, tell her that the beard is wajib according the the ahnaaf, & that is the truth- you on the other hand just leave your beard. according to the shawafi' the beard is that which grows on the chin, like Habib Mashur-I sure you know him. then there is another view that the hair on the jaws are also from the beard. akhi maybe you mother just needs to get use to you having a beard. buy yourself some hair cutters. for the first month or so keap the beard short at number one. then after that you clip it at number two, eventualy they would be so use to it that they dont every realise that your beard it tickling your belly.

also we also use the word Sorban in South Africa. maybe you should tie your turban in the hadhrami styly & not the indian style, try to tie it like Habib Umars', it doesnt have to be as big but that is how Malays use to tie the Sorban
    Jazakallukhair brother SASLAMS. Thank you for the clarification on the matter. As it makrooh then from my understanding Rahmaniyyah's explanation, I do not need to follow my mothers request to shave it. Insya-Allah I will just trim it for now a little just so that she does not notice it getting longer. The many opinions that are around on the beard is what has confused me such to the point that I had decided to just play it safe and keep the beard so I avoid sin. I have kept the beard on my chin for years but only recently decided to keep full beard to fist length which is what got my mother interested in my beard.

Insya-Allah, I will try the hadhrami style as well for the turban so as to minimise my mother's offence, but I can't wear it to work as there are prejudices to those of us who do which I do not want to get into discussion on here.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Jazakallukhair brother SASLAMS. Thank you for the clarification on the matter. As it makrooh then from my understanding Rahmaniyyah's explanation, I do not need to follow my mothers request to shave it. Insya-Allah I will just trim it for now a little just so that she does not notice it getting longer. The many opinions that are around on the beard is what has confused me such to the point that I had decided to just play it safe and keep the beard so I avoid sin. I have kept the beard on my chin for years but only recently decided to keep full beard to fist length which is what got my mother interested in my beard.

Insya-Allah, I will try the hadhrami style as well for the turban so as to minimise my mother's offence, but I can't wear it to work as there are prejudices to those of us who do which I do not want to get into discussion on here.
    for work just wear a Kofiya. you say kofiya in malaysia too? or do you have another word for hat.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

There are many statements in Shafi'i madhhab about the beard. The Hadrami scholars have taken the minority opinion according to other Shafi'i Fuqaha. See the clarification from brother amr123 below. In the end, it is always best to go with the safest position of growing your beard fully just as we would like to "be on the safe side" in our Dunya, then we should try to "be on the safe side" in our Deen too. May Allah make it easy for us and give us Istiqamah, amin

Quote Originally Posted by amr123 View Post
    Today after Juma'a I enquired to the Shafi'i Alim of my Mosque. He is an Alim who runs the Madrassa. Around 35 years of age, has full sunnah beard.

Here are the following points that I understood from him:
    -Definition of beard is the same as hanafis, not just lihya, but all parts are considered wajib.
    -A handful is Sunnah.
    -Trimming (decreasing length) is ok as long as one doesn't shave.
    -Shaving is Makrooh tahrimi(prohibitively disliked). Which is applicable not only to the lihya but to the sides as well.
    -I mentioned Shaykh Amjad's fatwa and the practice of the Shafi's in Hadramawt,
    to that he replied:
    -What he mentioned above(makrooh tahrimi) is the official position of Shafi'i Madhab.
    (I really felt like a fool on unnecessarily speaking on fiqhi matters)
    -The shafi'is of hadramawt are following the minority opinion.
    -He did not say that makrooh in shafi'i usool doesn't mean tanzihi. But he specifically mentioned shaving is tahrimi.
    -Those who shave repeatedly will be called a fasiq, He is not be a witness in nikah, not to be followed behind in Salah etc.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

Quote Originally Posted by Rahmaniyyah View Post

There are many statements in Shafi'i madhhab about the beard. The Hadrami scholars have taken the minority opinion according to other Shafi'i Fuqaha. See the clarification from brother amr123 below. In the end, it is always best to go with the safest position of growing your beard fully just as we would like to "be on the safe side" in our Dunya, then we should try to "be on the safe side" in our Deen too. May Allah make it easy for us and give us Istiqamah, amin
    totaly wrong i dont know where you get your idea from. the hadhrami hold onto the mu'tamad in this issue, which is makrooh to shave. & once again the for a shafi' there is no makrooh tahrimi. makrooh is makrooh & can never ber haraam. is possible that the alim mentioned in the post studied at a darul uloom which is hanafi. because all our shafis who come from there have the same idea. for example go ask him about practicing maulid. he will tell you bidah haraam but there has not been a shafi scholar in history to be against maulid.

why should we shafi' always do the safest in deen & dunya when its suits you. why cant you read basmalah in salah to be safe. why dont you make wudhoo after touching your private parts or your wife to be safe. why dont you have a shower & then make wudhoo instead of stepping out of the shower with wudhoo just to be save. if you dont have knowledge of the shafi madhab then be silent.

yes there were two views by imaam Shafi' & the latter view negates the ealiers & I ask you what was the latter oner. the ahnaaf also have this same qaaidah am I right. where where something is recorded later then the earlier is mansukh.

by the way sheikh Amjad is from Shaam & he lives in Tarim. he is not hadhrami. he studied in Jordan & I think in Syria aswell. your alim mentioned-where did he study?

Madhhab
    None

As much as we may find it difficult to digest, the shafi'i position (and the maliki position if anyone is doubting theirs as well) is clear. It is up to us to purify our nafs and accept it.

May Allah make us of those that are balanced in this deen, amin.
    Last edited by ImamGhazzaali; 13-07-2012 at 04:45 PM.

"Tasawwuf enlightens the heart through knowledge, action, and dhikr. Hazratism boxes a person into groupthink and promotes sectarian bigotry." Shaykh Hamzah Wald Maqbul.

Madhhab
    Shafi'i

totaly wrong i dont know where you get your idea from. the hadhrami hold onto the mu'tamad in this issue, which is makrooh to shave. & once again the for a shafi' there is no makrooh tahrimi. makrooh is makrooh & can never ber haraam. is possible that the alim mentioned in the post studied at a darul uloom which is hanafi. because all our shafis who come from there have the same idea. for example go ask him about practicing maulid. he will tell you bidah haraam but there has not been a shafi scholar in history to be against maulid.

Me and the alim mentioned here celebrated Mawlid togather last year.
    Please leave him from your prejudice bro. He is suffering from Crohn's disease which has no cure. Kindly make Dua for him. And please leave him out of any further discussion. Its a request.

A New forum for seeking Ilm.

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Quote Originally Posted by Rahmaniyyah View Post

The Hadramis wouldn't agree that they're following a minority position, so at the end of the day, it's their word against the scholar that brother Amr quoted from. Even according to that scholar, there's nothing specifying a fist-length, and "shaving is ok" (whether that means makruh tanzihi or mubah, i don't know - ask brother Amr). So even according to this, the scholars who have a short beard who are criticized day and night here are fine according to the madh-hab. Isn't it interesting that an-Nawawi did not qualify his statement regarding the beard with the fact that it was Tahrimi karahah (which, in reality = haram according to shafi'i usul as there is no such thing as Makruh Tahriman). I guess he was a hadrami who loved following minority opinions!