Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mufti Taqi Uthmani on Digital Pictures

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Post Mufti Taqi Uthmani on Digital Pictures

Assalamu Aalaikum

Fatwa # 13425 from South Africa Date: Friday, September 9th 2005

Question

1. Firstly i would like to ask on behalf of a friend, they are in need of a dua in order to help them in times of distress, due to family problems between mother and father and the members of the family. any duas(supplications) would be greatly appreciated.

2. Regarding, tasweer, i know this has been asked many a times before and i feel awkward asking again, but somone told me that Mufti Taqi Uthmaani made a fatwa that Digital Tasweer was allowed e.g. Videos etc. i ask whether this is true?
    Jazakallahu Khairan

Please make dua for us all,

Answer

At the outset it is important the parents understand that their differences and quarrels have an effect on the children. It is natural to have differences but that should be within limits. If they have difficulty in resolving their differences, they should consult some senior to intervene and assist in the problem. Continuous stress and antagonism creates instability in the mind of the children, thus not making the children confident and progressive. Although Duas are effective but the issue will not be addressed with duas. Practical mechanisms will have to be implored to repair the situation.

We are aware of the fatwa issued by Hadrath Mufti Taqi Usmani Saheb. We are of the opinion that digital photo is also tasweer, thus haraam.
    And Allah Knows Best

Moulana Muhammed Zakariyya Desai
    Student: Darul Ifta

Checked and Approved: Mufti Ebrahim Desai
    Does anyone has the details of the Fatwa...

Wassalam

Shaykh

Madhhab
    Hanafi

According to Taqi Usmani:

A.) The images appearing on live programs or recorded programs on television are not the pictures in the strict sense envisaged in the Ahadith of the Holy Prophet, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, unless they are printed in a durable form on paper or on any other object. But the basic reason why Muslims are advised not to keep TV sets in their homes is that most of the programs broadcast on the TV channels contain impermissible elements.

Since these microchips can be used for both permissible and impermissible purposes their sale cannot be held as Haram. It depends on the user how he uses it. Therefore, the income derived through the sale of these microchips to the TV manufacturers cannot be held as impermissible.

taken from http://www.albalagh.net/qa/video_chips.shtml

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Assalam U Aalaikum

Thank you for the link.

Wassalam

Shaykh

Madhhab
    Hanafi

DIGITAL PICTURES

The ban on pictures of animate objects (people and animals) is unequivocally stated with great emphasis in many highly authentic Ahaadith. The authenticity of these Ahaadith has never been questioned by anyone, not even the deviant learned men who propagate the permissibility of pictures. These deviates make their best endeavors to interpret away the prohibition. But all their interpretations are baseless and no Muslim of intelligence who is not intoxicated by his nafs will find sense in the interpretations to legalize the prohibition of pictures of animate objects.

WORN-OUT

The desperate old and worn-out argument for legalizing pictures produced by the photography method was the laughable contention that the photo-picture is a reflection of the object and not a picture of the object. Any person having some intelligence can understand that a photograph is NOT a reflection. It is a permanent picture notwithstanding the use made of the principle of reflection in the production of the picture.

Just as drawing with a pen or brush is a method which produces a picture, so too is the camera a method or a way of producing a picture. As long as the object remains in front of the mirror, its reflection will be there. As soon as the object is removed, the reflection too disappears. If a picture is drawn of an object reflected in the mirror, the drawn image will not be a reflection. Thus, the picture which was drawn by viewing a reflection in the mirror will remain a picture. It will not be said that it is not a picture, but is a reflection because it was drawn by viewing at the reflection in the mirror. But a picture for its sustainment is not indeed of the permanent presence of the object whose picture it is. The argument is absolutely ludicrous. In fact, it is technically and Islamically bizarre.

We have explained the Islamic ban of pictures, including photopictures, in our booklet, Photography, Picture-Making and Islam. The booklet is available from us.

LEGALIZING

Whenever a new method of making pictures is discovered, the modernistmen of ‘learning’ make their abortive attempts to legalize pictures. The most recent method invented is digital photography. Some Ulama have fallen into the trap of the modernist deviates and have proclaimed digital pictography to be permissible. These Ulama have viewed the issue very superficially. They have deliberately made a superficial and a defective research of the digital method to comply with their nafsaani desires to make haraam pictures halaal. But there is absolutely no validity in their arguments.

METHODS

There are a variety of ways and methods of producing pictures. The Shariah does not attack the method of picture production. It attacks and bans the product of the method, namely, the picture of animate objects. Regardless of the method employed to produce a picture, if it is a picture of a person or animal, it is haraam. It will remain haraam — a major sin— irrespective of the method of its production. By whatever existing methods or future new methods which maybe still be invented pictures are made, they will always remain haraam if the pictures are of animate objects.

The latest method is the digital one. Some Ulama have subtley attempted to legalize haraam pictures by introducing the baseless argument —that pictures made by the digital method are not pictures. Even non-Muslims mock at the absurdity of this stupid argument. Those who claim that pictures produced by the digital method are not pictures should revert to the experts who have invented this method. Ask their opinion regarding the technical issues and see if they say that digital pictures are not pictures.

DIMENSIONS

Muslims should not allow themselves to be misled by the absurd arguments proffered to legalize what Allah Ta’ala has made haraam. Sin has two dimensions. The o*ne dimension renders the perpetrator a faasiq, and the other dimension makes him a murtadd (renegade). It expels him from the fold of Islam. As long as the sinner understands and believes that the sin he commits is haraam, he remains a Muslim and is described a faasiq. But when he becomes so flagrant and shameless in the perpetration of the haraam act that he declares the permissibility of the prohibition, then he leaves the fold of Islam. He has thus become a murtadd. May Allah Ta’ala save us from such calamities. Digital pictures are just as haraam as pictures drawn with the pen, brush, or any other method, past, present and future.

Rasulullah (sallallahu alayhi wasallam) said that among the worstpunished persons o*n the Day of Qiyaamah will be the picture-makers, including those who employ digital pictography. The Hadith places picture-makers in the same category as those who had murdered Ambiya and their own parents.

"The Majlis" Vol.15 No.10
    Presenting the Knowledge of Islam - the Qur'aan and the Sunnah - in Pristine Purity.

Presenting the deen as propounded and practised by Rasulullah (Sallalahu Alayhi Wassallam) and his illustrious Sahaba (R.A.)

The Voice of Islam :: THE MAJLIS

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Assalam U Aalaikum

Wonderful!!!

Wassalam

Retired
    Madhhab
    Maliki

I severely dislike the implication of that fatwa by the Majlis. A brother or sister e-mailed them regarding whether they were referring directly to Mufti Taqi in the latter part, did they receive a reply?

Digital pictures are not considered tasweer by ulema of other madhabs too. Hence unless the Mufti is proficient across all madhabs and is above ikhtilaf, he should not make such statements. It's severely disrespectful.

His frequent conflation of his interpretation of Hanafi fiqh and the Shariah is disturbing.

Differences of opinion are a mercy to our Ummah..

Madhhab
    Hanafi

Br Mossy,

Hmmm could you clarify what your question is to the Mufti of The Majlis. I can ask his son in law about it.

Besides, Mufti of The Majlis has been rigurously known to be extremely strict. They do Sadd Baab of many things in an attempt to stop a potential fitna. You need not agree to his view, but dont dislike him for that. He is one of the luminaries in South Africa.

Particularly what Mufti is writing regarding Ulama who legalize the animate picture, is the same view of Mufti Ebrahim Desai. however Mufti of Majlis is elderly and has a right to have a difference in opinion with Mufti Taqi, (They are both contemporaries)

P.S an example would be.. Jamiat ul Ulama here gave a fatwa that smoking is Makrooh e Tahrimi, while Mufti Desai has strictly held the position that it is Haraam! He even voiced his opinion in the Jamiat Mufti Conference. but they are Ulama entitled to their opinion.

:wa:

Madhhab
    Hanafi

well, there is nothing we can do about the way a person gives his answers...in fact that is how Umar was similar in his reprimandations. Mufti Rasheed Ahmad Gangohi was like this as well...

I myself find some of their fataawa strict, but that is tehir view, and they are intitled to it... i myself rather take fatwa from his son in law

Lost in an ocean of doubt and confusion am I
    Seeking Your burning beacon light
    ~ Heart Song, Talib al Habib

Madhhab
    Hanafi

I know this question has been asked before .... sicne bro talib ilm you know the mufti behind the majlis, what scholars make up the majlisul ulema? (the website says "The Mujlisul Ulama is a body of qualified Ulama who has qualified Muftis in its ranks. The Islamic subjects are thoroughly researched and the Fatawa are all in terms of the principles of the Shariah. The Mujlisul Ulama does not accept the views and opinions of non-Ulama to be authoritative, hence the views, which we publish in The Majlis, are rulings of the Shariah, which Muslims should accept and act o*n.")

Madhhab
    Maliki

strict is fine with me, but they dont seem tolerant of difference of oppinion at all. thats just how i see it, i could be wrong but that is definatly how it comes across to me.